Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re taking over lease

Options
  • 27-10-2019 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I've recently rented a room for 4 months from lad who is moving out, the landlord plans to sell in 4 months. I sent on details to letting agent, paid 600 euro deposit etc. Since moving into house, I'm now beginning to notice how run down it is. The other 2 lads are not the cleanest, I don't think theyve ever used a Hoover and I'm not a neat freak.

Anyway my concern is that I won't get my deposit back in February as the house is filthy with broken oven door, tiles etc I did take pictures of damage when I moved in but will this be enough to get my 600 back. Room I rented in good Nick but will landlord hold me responsible for damage done before I moved in. I've been burnt with non refunded deposit s before.

I didn't sign a lease, just seemed to take over from lad who left. Now I'm wondering if he saw they didn't have a hope of getting deposit back so got it from me and jumped ship.

Any advice? I can't afford to be out that amount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who did you give the deposit to, the guy who left or the landlord?

If you gave it to the guy who left, its gone already. It was gone the second you handed it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Donal27

L1011 wrote: »
    Who did you give the deposit to, the guy who left or the landlord?

If you gave it to the guy who left, its gone already. It was gone the second you handed it over.

Thanks for reply. Transferred it into account, probably lad who left. I'm not sure why agent had me jump through hoops, with references, payslip etc whom he contacted for short term lease, When by looks of things house hasn't been checked/had any work done to it in years. Probably just checking ability to pay.

Like you say might as well resign myself to it being gone, but thought when agent involved things might be a bit better set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

Contact the agent - he may have the other lads deposit, might not be the same as yours.

Advertisement