Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good round at your course?

Options
  • 28-10-2019 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I know it's all subjective, but what's a good round at your track?

At mine, a net stableford score would be anything 36 points and over, gross score or anything close to par would be excellent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

I've never scored higher than 34 points in Kilcock where I'm a member.

Find the course very difficult as it's very narrow with most fairways tree lined. It's penal if you're not straight and I'm not straight.

Will in all likelihood leave and go elsewhere at the end of the year. Looking at either Rathcore or Rathsallagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

38 to 40 pts usually wins around my course. Occasional 40+ on the big days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Very rare that 36 points won't get u in the prizes.
    Last 2 Captain's prizes won with 38 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

mike12 wrote: »

Are many of the low cappers getting below par often?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

davegilly wrote: »
    I've never scored higher than 34 points in Kilcock where I'm a member.

Find the course very difficult as it's very narrow with most fairways tree lined. It's penal if you're not straight and I'm not straight.

Will in all likelihood leave and go elsewhere at the end of the year. Looking at either Rathcore or Rathsallagh.

I wouldn't imagine Rathcore would be any better for you, it's definitely not an easy course. Moyvalley would be a great course that's open enough not to punish you too much while still challenging.

Perfect conditions in Ardee 40pts or you have no chance of placing.

CSS was changed this year by one shot with the new greens/layout and two more being done this year so hopefully it will come down a bit more next year.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine Rathcore would be any better for you, it's definitely not an easy course. Moyvalley would be a great course that's open enough not to punish you too much while still challenging.
    I actually play well every time I've played Rathcore - there are very few trees there in comparison to to where I am now, trees are my problem :)
    Will have a look at Moyvalley also - I'm looking for a flexi/lifetlstyle type of membership due to time constraints and not everywhere offers this I'm afraid.

Currently, most comps in Kilcock are won with scores of 40-42 points

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

40+ here in Tullamore. Par 69 for members too. I’m finding it very tough to get into buffer lately

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Beaulieu

charlieIRL wrote: »
    40+ here in Tullamore. Par 69 for members too. I’m finding it very tough to get into buffer lately

Par 69? Tullamore is a Par 70 and in great nick at present. Pity about the clubhouse though -badly in need of a facelift.

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Par 69? Tullamore is a Par 70 and in great nick at present. Pity about the clubhouse though -badly in need of a facelift.

Apologies. Got it mixed up. Par 70 but sometimes CSS is 69? (think that’s how you word it)
    For example, 38 points won’t get me a cut

Apologies. Got it mixed up. Par 70 but sometimes CSS is 69? (think that’s how you word it)
    Thats harsh - must be very difficult to get cut there then? Was looking at joining there also as a distance member. Maybe not if it's that hard to get a cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

par 70 and css 69..... 38 points would get be enough for a small cut :confused:

Thats harsh - must be very difficult to get cut there then? Was looking at joining there also as a distance member. Maybe not if it's that hard to get a cut?

Course is very playable - not impossible to beat 36pts though. Like anywhere you need to play well. Typically will need more than 40pts to win a comp but you will rarely come across scores in excess of 42pts.

Great track -best & most playable in and around Tullamore (imho!!)

38pts will get you cut in a qualifying comp (blue tees -longer course Par 70) unless you're playing off the white markers (shorter course) which in Tullamore normally are a Par68.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Could be anything, Tramore member here. There are longish spells especially early in the season when 37 or 38 will win a competition with CSS being 73 or on rare occasions even 74. Then usually later in the season you wouldn't think about winning with less than 40 or 41. There are days when 42 or 43 isn't enough, but that's pretty rare and it all has to do with condition on the day.

Early in the season, just out of preferred lies, course still soft and playing long and chipping tricky around the greens with bare patches from traffic scoring is difficult. But later in the season with course playing shorter and lush lies everywhere - and people being in the swing of it - scoring improves.
    Then there is pin positions, too. I'd say between easy pins and tough pins there is half a dozen shots difference easily.

No need to apologise charlieIRL!! CSS is rarely 69 off blue markers in Tullamore though -its usually 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Are many of the low cappers getting below par often?

Scoring is usually best in category 1 it suits a longer hitter

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

mike12 wrote: »

Stableford for Captains? Would hate that.

Beaulieu wrote: »
    No need to apologise charlieIRL!! CSS is rarely 69 off blue markers in Tullamore though -its usually 70.

Was 69 the last two opens I played!!

Also, I’ve never played an open there off anything but the blues. It’s a tough course and I love playing there.

I most definitely wouldn’t let that put you off joining.

Here’s one of them! On my phone so can’t add it to my last post

• Advertisement

Here’s one of them! On my phone so can’t add it to my last post

Take your point but trust me that's not the norm. As a counterbalance to your example the CSS for the previous Open Monday (22nd July) was 71.

CSS of 70 is the norm for members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

CSS usually 38 points around my course. 40/41 needed to get the win mostly, or sometimes just get in the prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

The SSS in my places is 38 points off the whites and at least 40 pts is usually required to be in the prizes.

However we play roughly half of our weekend qualifiers off the Blue tees which has an SSS of 35 points and is a far sterner test. Any score of 36 points or better is in the hunt for prizes.
    The CSS ended up at 32/33 points a number of times this summer

Advertisement