Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less fat more fit

Options
  • 28-10-2019 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭

I had a previous log where I wanted to get back playing gaa ( https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057934856/7/#post111513054) but found that after I did my first adventure race I had been somewhat bitten by the bug and want to do more. I want to use this log for accountability and hopefully glean some knowledge from the more experienced guys and girls here.

Main aims:
    Improve my running fitness and run a 5k before Xmas.
    Improve my average cycling speed and get out with the cycling club.
    Get my diet on track and consistent.
    Keep up the personal training sessions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Weekend training wasn't great as herself was working and I was minding my little fella.

Saturday
    I went to a pt session Saturday but only lasted 20 minutes as I was vomiting. I think it was a bug I had as fine yesterday.

Sunday
    10k cycle, very short but felt good to be back on the bike after being in America the week before.

Bank hól Monday.
    An hr swimming with the little lad. Nothing hectic as attempting to teach him more than actually swimming myself.

Booked 4 sessions with the pt for the week ahead and going to get a run in every night.

Nutrition: have meals prepped for work lunch and eggs etc to make for breakfast. My nutrition has been my form of self sabotage for the past few months so really need to keep on top of this.

This week was good

Tuesday: 3km run on couch to 5k programme

Wednesday: Strength and conditioning session with PT & 3km run on couch to 5k programme

Thursday: Strength and conditioning session with PT

Friday: Strength and conditioning session with PT

Saturday: Strength and conditioning session with PT, Lots of walking in dublin as went to Gerry Cinnamon with herself

Sunday: Only did 10k on the bike as fog was very heavy this morning. PB on the route, felt great after the first 2 km. https://www.strava.com/activities/2838184441

Nutrition: Good this week with a few blips. Weighed in 0.5kg heavier on friday than i did before going on holidays to America. 0.3kg of that was additional muscle so i was happy enough considering but the coach in the gym gave me a bit of a bollicking.

Feeling great and good to be back in routine after holidays. I really need to improve the amount of sleep im getting tho

Total training hrs this week: about 7 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Best of luck with the training. As a general comment I note that one of your aims is to improve your running fitness. However, you only ran twice last week with a total of 6km but managed 4 S&C sessions. Any intention to shift the focus? Not suggesting that you do less S&C btw...

EC1000 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training. As a general comment I note that one of your aims is to improve your running fitness. However, you only ran twice last week with a total of 6km but managed 4 S&C sessions. Any intention to shift the focus? Not suggesting that you do less S&C btw...

Am planning on increasing the evenings of running alongside keeping up the S&C. I had a busy few days towards the end of the week with halloween etc so didnt get to do as much as i would have liked. The S&C sessions are on the way to work so i try and get them in before work so i have at least something done for that day.

Very poor week last week.

I went away with work last monday and picked up some sort of flu/virus on the flights. Between tuesday and Friday all i wanted to do was sleep.

Monday to Friday: Completely sedentary
    Saturday: Strength & Conditioning in morning followed by a trip to the forest with my son. 15,000 steps including short spurts of running with him.
    Sunday: 15k Cycle at 26kph, an hour swimming,

Diet: not the worst but room to improve.

• Advertisement

Middling week last week.

Monday: Nothing, Long day in work and went to cinema with herself in the evening
    Tuesday: 30 mins on the turbo trainer doing intervals
    Wednesday: 45 mins on turbo
    Thursday: Gym session
    Friday: Nothing, Very long day in work. was first in and last out of the office.
    Saturday: 40km with the local cycling club. Average 24km/h but felt i had more to give. Got 10k steps in also as brought the dog out in the evening
    Sunday: Spent the day at marvel live with the family. 9k steps but a lot of food also.

For the past few weeks ive been a bit under the weather and constantly tired. Seem to be over that now so want to up the momentum a bit this week.

Diet: Getting better

Week ending 24/11/19

Monday: rest day.

Tuesday: hard gym session

Wednesday: couch to 5k

Thursday: gym induction session in local gaa club. Didnt really get to do anything but was given the gym programme for the senior footballers and we have fobs to come and go as we please. I'll be making plenty of use if that.

Friday: Pt gym session. Found this a lot easier than Tuesday (different coach)

Saturday: 46km cycle with cycling club. Average 24km/h, 5k walk with the little lad and the dog. Hit 11k steps as well as the cycle (burned 4k calories according to my smart watch)

Sunday: did a gym session on my own in gaa early, mostly stretching at the start as was sore from the cycling on Saturday.Did a bit of bench pressing and deadlifting then. Went to Belfast for Xmas markets with family for the rest of the day so nothing else but hit 10k steps.

Training hrs: about 5.5 hrs
    Diet: getting better

Next weeks aims: couch to 5k at gaa and then gym afterwards

Everyone in the house is busy this weekend so I'm hoping to do a lot of training. 50k planned with the cycling club tomorrow and then push on with the running and strength work.

Last weeks training

Monday: 40 minutes gym session in gaa gym
    3km run

Tuesday: 45 minutes gym session in gaa gym

Wednesday: 1hr 10 minutes gym session in gaa gym with 20 mins on the bike

Thursday: 45 min hiit session in gym

Friday: worked late and had gaa club agm so no training. (as I'm using the gym so much but only playing junior I went to show my face and offer to help with stuff if needed).

Saturday: I went out with the cycling club C team which had a majority of b team members. We stopped 3 times for punctures over the 40k but the average was still 23km/h including the stoppages. My segments on Strava were saying an average of 30 to 32 km/h which left me absolutely rattled by the time I got back to town as its faster than I'm used to. I had planned to go to the gym but had to help with sheep at home.

Sunday: steady 30k with my father including a coffee stop half way in his home village.

Total training hours this week: 7

Plan for next week is spin classes Tuesday and Thursday with the cycling club and I'm going to do 50k before Xmas with the running.

Advertisement