Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth paying three times the price for "probiotic" yogurt?

• 28-10-2019 11:49am

It's a "special" of €3 for the Actimel "probiotic" bottle yogurt drinks (6 or 8; I forget exactly), but €1 for the Dunnes own-brand multifruit bottles (6 or 8). Young children will be drinking them. I just feel I need to be persuaded of the science before I'll pay three times as much.

On a related issue, what would be the healthiest yogurt drink to give children that comes in these handy bottles? I suspect adding fresh fruit to Glenisk Natural yogurt is the healthiest yogurt to have at home?

However, as a lunch snack outside home for the little ones, what's the healthiest I could buy in the form of yogurt drinks? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lidl and Aldi versions are as 'good' albeit using sweeteners instead of sugars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Greek yogurt is preferable to Greek style yoghurt.

In most cases but both the Glenisk and Liberté Greek style natural yoghurts are close to a Greek yoghurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fuaranach wrote: »
    On a related issue, what would be the healthiest yogurt drink to give children that comes in these handy bottles? I suspect adding fresh fruit to Glenisk Natural yogurt is the healthiest yogurt to have at home?
    Can't help on the yogurt drinks, but for the yogurt at home we have Aldi (Brooklea) or Lidl (Milbona) Zero or Low Fat Natural Yogurt. They then use (myprotein) flavour drops to flavour them - Toffee the winner for one of them, White Chocolate for the other, Butter Biscuit or Maple for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darash

We use Aldi, Lidl or Tesco brand yogurt drinks. I find it difficult to justify big prices for brand names.

Glenisk high protein yogurt is really good, it's been half price in Tesco for the past few weeks.

I hate the term 'greek style' most of them have very little protein compared to real Greek yogurt.

Lidl & Aldi do fat free & full fat real Greek yogurt, similar to Total, just half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Didititian

It would depend on what you hope to use the probiotic for.

If you are hoping to use the probiotic yoghurt to assist with managing Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or are using it to replenish your gut bacteria after a bout of antibiotics or a tummy bug, then using a well-researched probiotic yoghurt may be of some use.

However, for the majority of us, eating a healthy, varied and well-balanced diet should be enough to help us keep our guts healthy.

Most yoghurts, as well as some other fermented foods, are good sources of natural probiotics. It also helps to eat plenty of prebiotics (such as onions, garlic and beans) to help feed those healthy gut bacteria.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Didi de Zwarte - Registered Dietitian

• Advertisement
Advertisement