Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minibus Insurance

Options
  • 28-10-2019 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I'm hoping to start a business some time in the next 1-3 years, and at the moment I'm adding up how much I'll need to save/borrow to make it happen. It'll be a tour bus service, starting off with just myself and one minibus (16 seats, hopefully about 5-10 years old).

I think it's a bit early to be getting on to a company or broker about a quote, and I've found before that they don't like giving "rough ideas" or "what if" answers - you're either getting a definite quote based on your current circumstances or you're not.

So, I was hoping someone could help me judge what to expect.
    • Would it be closer to €500 :o or €5,000? :(
    • ...or €50,000? :eek:
    • Does my NCB from my car policy have any impact?
    • Does it make much difference whether or not I want Social, Domestic and Leisure cover included?
    • Does it cost much more to add employees / open driving?
    • ...and any other information you can think of!

Thanks in advance. 😊
    Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You'd be better advised to ask a Broker tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

I work in the transport industry and I'd say with 1 minibus and a clean licence you'd have change from €2000 with open driving. Getting the insurance is the easy part it's the operators licence you really have to work for. It's doable, just a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dave6

Hi just seeing this, hoping to do something similar more so bus runs for stags/hens etc, did you get the bus up and running? I rang JF Dunne and a lad called Colm was very helpful. He knew I hadn't a Transport manager or any of that stuff and went ahead and gave me a quote for 1,800€ for 12 year old 16 seater.

what i do often worry about before buying an older bus is if you breakdown at 2 or 3 in the morning on the way back from collecting a group of people, and all you have is the one bus, where do you go or what do you do?
    There's no breakdown assistant for mini buses far as I know.
    Have you started the bus since?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement