Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siro speeds

• 28-10-2019 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I got siro on Friday and the installer told me he done a check and I was getting 850 which I would be delighted with

I done a speed test on my I phone then and got over 200 download so allowing for device and not wired I was still happy enough

On Saturday I was getting 50 most of the day but again was getting 200

I taught siro was consistent but obviously not

Will be ringing on Tuesday to see why this is happening

Anyone any ideas why or how this is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

What are you getting wired?

While the technology might be "consistent"

Wi-fi can be a minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

96YNWA96 wrote: »
    I got siro on Friday and the installer told me he done a check and I was getting 850 which I would be delighted with

I done a speed test on my I phone then and got over 200 download so allowing for device and not wired I was still happy enough

On Saturday I was getting 50 most of the day but again was getting 200

I taught siro was consistent but obviously not

Will be ringing on Tuesday to see why this is happening

Anyone any ideas why or how this is happening?

Be aware not all devices have the processing power to do 1gig throughput.

any pc under I5 and maybe your phone depending on its preformance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

^^ Echoing these guys,

Even the latest WiFi router will only get you close to these high speeds if you are using a very new (and likely near top line) laptop. (phones and tablets, not a chance). You need to test with a decent PC and with a wired connection if you want to be accurate and consistent and have something actionable for the support guys when you call.

On the good side - your internet connection is faster than your home network now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 96YNWA96

Wired to gaming pc

And wired to PS4 pro

Wired to gaming pc

And wired to PS4 pro

Wireless PS4 pro

All I want is constant speeds

2 much to ask ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Try changing the speedtest server when testing with the gaming PC. Try using the Blacknight server, perhaps the enet server or Airwire also.

I don't think you're going to get gigabit speed out of a PlayStation to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Try changing the speedtest server when testing with the gaming PC. Try using the Blacknight server, perhaps the enet server or Airwire also.

I don't think you're going to get gigabit speed out of a PlayStation to be honest.

Also I think some browsers are better than other when performing speedtests.
    I can't remember what's the recommended browser.
    It's a synthetic test, a real world download from the heanet server is a better test so give that a try.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

showing speedtests from a PS4 is no way to determine speeds. Sometimes I can barely get 5meg on my ps4, it's network card is so bad. Next to the PS4 I get over 100 on wifi.

Gonzo wrote: »
    showing speedtests from a PS4 is no way to determine speeds. Sometimes I can barely get 5meg on my ps4, it's network card is so bad. Next to the PS4 I get over 100 on wifi.

It really is, awfully quality network adaptors in the ps4 for both wired and wifi. Then the Playstation network can be very poor too.

Even on a desktop PC there are many thing that can go wrong while wired with the wrong setup.

Gonzo wrote: »

PS4 pro is surly better ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A user who cannot take a screenshot is very unlikely to catch small details that will trip up a 1G test. Also the chances of the PSN serving at that kinda speed is low.
    PS4 pro is surly better ?

Same NIC apparently. Nothing Pro about it other than the name.

ED E wrote: »
    A user who cannot take a screenshot is very unlikely to catch small details that will trip up a 1G test. Also the chances of the PSN serving at that kinda speed is low.

Same NIC apparently. Nothing Pro about it other than the name.

Ed prefect ðŸ‘

The playstation network is shockingly slow most the time so no need for a high quality nic.

How can I get 200 sometimes but 50 sometimes

Why is it not consistent?

Ed you surly know this ? ðŸ§

How can I get 200 sometimes but 50 sometimes

Why is it not consistent?

Ed you surly know this ? ðŸ§

Have you tried downloading large files from heanet over a wired desktop PC?
    This will eliminate many of the possible weak points and help figure out what is going wrong.

tuxy wrote: »
    Have you tried downloading large files from heanet over a wired desktop PC?
    This will eliminate many of the possible weak points and help figure out what is going wrong.

Thanks I will have a look tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The playstation network is shockingly slow most the time so no need for a high quality nic.

Akamai so it COULD be good but Sony must be paying a pittance.

https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/gentoo.org/releases/amd64/10.1/livedvd-amd64-multilib-10.1.iso
    There's a direct link to a 2.6 Gigabyte file. The speed shown while downloading will probably be in bytes not bits so you have to multiply by 8 to get your speed. Or you can just tell us how long it takes to download and we will calculate.

Edit: sorry it seems heanet mirrors are not at full speed right now :(
    does someone know a good alternative?

https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/gentoo.org/releases/amd64/10.1/livedvd-amd64-multilib-10.1.iso
    There's a direct link to a 2.6 Gigabyte file. The speed shown while downloading will probably be in bytes not bits so you have to multiply by 8 to get your speed. Or you can just tell us how long it takes to download and we will calculate.

Edit: sorry it seems heanet mirrors are not at full speed right now :(
    does someone know a good alternative?

I use http://speedtest.tele2.net/

offers different file sizes

Not Irish but I generally get the same speeds as i would to blacknight

limnam wrote: »
    I use http://speedtest.tele2.net/

offers different file sizes

Not Irish but I generally get the same speeds as i would to blacknight

I tried the 10GB file.
    It's not maxing out my 150 Mbps service

• Advertisement

I tried the 10GB file.
    It's not maxing out my 150 Mbps service

hmm I tested just before posting and was getting about 300mb on wifi

Looks like it's not as "stable" as it used to be, got some low speeds also.

heanet was consistently very fast for years easily maxing out 1 Gbit connections. No idea what is happening now.

heanet was consistently very fast for years easily maxing out 1 Gbit connections. No idea what is happening now.

They have no issues reported.

https://ticketing.heanet.ie/public/index.html

I tried your file and was getting ~28MB/s on a 300Mb eir connection. Not quite full speed so there may be something up.

Heanet is fine now for me. Same file as earlier.
    /dev/null 100%[===============================================>] 2.61G 31.0MB/s in 80s

2019-10-30 01:48:44 (33.3 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [2798649344/2798649344]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi folks,

Got Vodafone siro installed yesterday .... was in work when installation happened so never got to talk to engineers... but went about changing devices over last nite and checked speeds on speedtest.net and I was only getting 30-35mb speeds!! I never got much time to read into this so decided to ask the boards experts while in work today! Haha

For Vodafone , is there any apps or anything I need to do to mess with their router to properly fix it up as those speeds isn’t acceptable for 1 tb broadband.... whether wirelessly or not

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Got Vodafone siro installed yesterday .... was in work when installation happened so never got to talk to engineers... but went about changing devices over last nite and checked speeds on speedtest.net and I was only getting 30-35mb speeds!! I never got much time to read into this so decided to ask the boards experts while in work today! Haha

For Vodafone , is there any apps or anything I need to do to mess with their router to properly fix it up as those speeds isn’t acceptable for 1 tb broadband.... whether wirelessly or not

What speed are you getting hardwired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hi folks,

Did you sign up for the giga bit service?

What speed are you getting hardwired?

Never got to check that yet tbh, it’s connected in beside tv and was only checking speeds on computer in room across the hall and on my phone

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Did you sign up for the giga bit service?

Yea that’s the gigabit service

Never got to check that yet tbh, it’s connected in beside tv and was only checking speeds on computer in room across the hall and on my phone

I'd say first check it on he hardwre directly to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

As above you need to check on a device wired to the router first.

Way too many variables using wifi.

Just to add I got siro in through sky on Monday and they made a mistake and only gave me 150 line. Upgraded now but I was consitantly getting 145-150mb on my iphone 8 once I was in the same room as the router. This dropped to 12-20mb very quickly if went into a room at the back of the house

I'd say first check it on he hardwre directly to the router.

Only hardware I will ever have connected directly is smart tv and PlayStation ... can I check speed properly on them I wonder ?

Only hardware I will ever have connected directly is smart tv and PlayStation ... can I check speed properly on them I wonder ?

Doesn't really matter, what you want to do first is establish if you the line is capable of the advertised speed ruling out all the inconsistencies that go along with wireless.

I'm not sure what NIC's are in a play station. If it's a gigabit nic you can test from it.
    Have you no laptop or pc you can test with?

I finally got siro in and I was the same wondering why the speeds I get was so bad

To this day I get about 50 download and 50 upload on most wireless devices

But hardwired to a gaming pc I got over600 down and 600 up

So only a wired test on a capable device will tell the true speeds

• Advertisement

Ok ran speedtest on two iPhone XR’s, one Top spec Samsung smart tv and on firestick hd stick... direct connected speeds On tv and firestick are anything from 80-90 mb/s download so same as wireless

Ok ran speedtest on two iPhone XR’s, one Top spec Samsung smart tv and on firestick hd stick... direct connected speeds On tv and firestick are anything from 80-90 mb/s download so same as wireless

Are there 2 wireless networks available? On my Vodafone router it has 2.4 and 5g separated out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Are those wired speeds on the TV and Firestick? Even high end TVs often have 100Mb ethernet as does the Firestick ethernet adapter. With overhead 90mb is possibly maxing the ethernet on them not your connection.

heroics wrote: »
    Are there 2 wireless networks available? On my Vodafone router it has 2.4 and 5g separated out.

I see the option 2.4 and 5 picked as option in settings

dam099 wrote: »
    Are those wired speeds on the TV and Firestick? Even high end TVs often have 100Mb ethernet as does the Firestick ethernet adapter. With overhead 90mb is possibly maxing the ethernet on them not your connection.

Yea wired speeds. I might try get a laptop from someone later and see what’s best wired to that

• Advertisement

Yea wired speeds. I might try get a laptop from someone later and see what’s best wired to that

I have the Firestick with ethernet adpater and an LG OLED and neither can do better than 80-90 either but on Apple TV 4K or desktop PC with Gb NIC I can get 930 regularly enough.

I'd say it's unlikey the tv has a gigabit card

Can you get a pc/laptop with a good NIC ?

Plugged laptop in afew mins ago and 93 MB’s

Ps wife said she got 442mbs on phone the day while engineer here!! So something wrong here

I see the option 2.4 and 5 picked as option in settings

So which one are you connected to on the iPhone

heroics wrote: »
    So which one are you connected to on the iPhone

2.4 ghz

Plugged laptop in afew mins ago and 93 MB’s

If it's a gigabit Ethernet card in the laptop. I'd just call the ISP

2.4 ghz

You wont get the best speeds on that. Try 5ghz right beside the router (but it will fall off quicker than 2.4ghz once you get far enough away)

If it's a gigabit Ethernet card in the laptop. I'd just call the ISP

Ethernet connection (4) 1219 -lm which is gigabit

Connect to the 5ghz one and in the same room what speeds do the iPhones get?

• Advertisement
Advertisement