Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Bumps on Trinity Street Drogheda

Options
  • 28-10-2019 3:47pm

Someone has clearly decided that more speed ramps (bumps? humps?) are needed in Drogheda, because at least three sets are going in on Trinity Street, including one that is on the 80km/h section outbound from the town towards the M1 Retail Park. Being a devout and practising cynic, I'd have though if they improved the road surface itself, that would have been a good start, and maybe even put a mini roundabout at the junction with Cement Road, which would have the dual benefits of improved safety at that point, as well as get people's speed down.

But no, instead we are going to have three sets (at least; there could be more yet to be started!) of speed humps.

Progress?

And to rub salt in the wound, Trinity Street is signposted as an "Alternative Route" to avoid works on the North Road. Avoid one set, sit in a queue at the other. Whatever happened to coordination of works, guys?

Comments

I presume the Council must have haggled with a contractor, and instead of lowering the price, they said "if you buy 10 speed ramps, will you give you 5 free" because they're being put in fcuking everywhere. Much to the detriment of most place.

Why would Trinity Street need speed ramps? Not only are there never deaths there, i can't recall even the last time I seen an accident there.

Same with Knockbrack. My friend lives on the road there and said the ramps are only in a week and the noise of cars and buses banging and thumping going over them is driving him mad.

They make sense in some places, like the new ones in Finian's Park (albeit in typical council practice, they're installed in the wrong places) and to fix up the ones in ballsgrove that were in bits (even though they were actually more effective when they were in bits as you had to slow to get over them properly, much more so than now when you can glide over them in comparison to what they used to be like) but I've a feeling a lot of people on Trinity Street are gonna be unhappy now when they've cars, vans and trucks banging and thudding going over those ramps at 1 and 2 am.

(although it'll be worse during the day as people are bringing their trailers of stuff to the recycling centre and from the furniture shop, when the steel of the trailer will be clanging over them).

Also, that section of road at the recycling centre isn't 80 - they reduced it to 60. Same as the roads either side of the roundabout at woodies aren't 100 anymore, they're 80. Despite, again, no real accidents there. The same with the road out from Townley to the pub before Slane (Dolly Mitchells?) isn't 100 anymore either, down to 80 now.

There's some really poor management going on in the town. A lot of it makes no sense at all, and I really wonder why they're moaning about having no money, and they can't fix up houses or install CCTV or clean graffiti, yet they're firing in stupid stuff like this all over the place.

Mechanics will be delighted though, so that's something.

Thanks re the changed/reduced speed limit out of town - I was looking at the satnav. My bad.

I think I read somewhere that speed bumps are also environmentally unfriendly; brake, accelerate, brake, accelerate etc. They are a blight and there are lots of other - and better - methods of reducing traffic speed, such as road narrowing, chokers, and a lot more.

Drogheda is a nightmare town for traffic circulation and flow. Hardly any of the traffic lights work in any intelligent or sequential way (like they do at the busy junction between Bryanstown Village road and the Dublin Road); I think it's called SCATS. Particularly bad is the Bullring and the intersection by the Bus Station. And don't get me started about West Street, Peter Street, Shop Street and Saint Laurence Street.

Priorities, lads, priorities

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bloody hell, Trinity Street can already be a nightmare for traffic.

I presume its something to do with the school there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I drove over them today. 2 speed bumps quite close together. One of them badly constructed in my opinion, tyres didn't like it one bit and I wasnt going fast.. Really annoying. They've also improved road markings around the crazy Cement Road junction at Aldi.
    These speed bumps could be part of their efforts to slow traffic down approaching this junction as you come out from town. What is needed here is proper traffic management, not this half arsed effort that only serves to annoy and frustrate and doesn't get close to a proper solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Glad to see the up from Knockbrack Downs, it was dangerous turning at Flogas with people going too fast over the hill

• Advertisement

gebbel wrote: »
    I drove over them today. 2 speed bumps quite close together. One of them badly constructed in my opinion, tyres didn't like it one bit and I wasnt going fast.. Really annoying. They've also improved road markings around the crazy Cement Road junction at Aldi.
    These speed bumps could be part of their efforts to slow traffic down approaching this junction as you come out from town. What is needed here is proper traffic management, not this half arsed effort that only serves to annoy and frustrate and doesn't get close to a proper solution.

Perhaps it varies from car to car, but i drove over these for the first time last night, and have to say I actually don't mind them. I tried them out at different speeds and I can get away with going over them at full speed so they're grand to me, personally.

Still feel bad for the residents as now they'll be listening to my car thudding and banging over them each time but nonetheless for me personally I think they're alright.

I don't like the ones at knockbrack as I actually find they are more likely to scuff my car for some reason (you'd assume they'd all be built identically but apparently not).

I drove along Trinity Street yesterday and noticed there are no warning signs for the speed bumps. That’s clearly no problem for me, as I saw them going in, or many of you guys either, but it was a bit of an issue to a young woman driving her Golf with an N plate on it into town, who braked way too late and hit the bump with some force - with the front suspension already well down from the braking and very little travel left to absorb the bump. Ouch!

Surely the signs should have gone in prior to the physical works being carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Colm Cummins

The signs are there, the one on the way into town is hidden in the bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The signs are there, the one on the way into town is hidden in the bushes.
    Like a lot of other road signs around the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gebbel wrote: »
    The traffic department has a habit of just doing things they think would be nice. Random light resequencing is a favourite!

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but I was passing the bus depot this morning and that monster of a crater has opened up again around the services cover in the middle of the road. Hopefully gets more than a pat of a shovel this time, and while they are at it they could do with seeing to the covers on the footpath there. They protrude up above the path, move under foot and are a tripping hazard.

I've emailed LCC about this a couple of times in the last year as well as to complain about the lights there. I've seen a couple of near misses there with people waiting to cross from the bus depot to Mc Donald's and the ped lights to their right for crossing from the depot to the shop side get a green and the buzzer for visually impaired people also starts. So what can happen is people hear the buzzer and start to cross, not registering that it's the other set of lights that have gone green and not theirs.

So what can happen is people hear the buzzer and start to cross, not registering that it's the other set of lights that have gone green and not theirs.

That's an interesting one. I wonder how you'd really address that, though? Surely a blind person would be able to tell it's coming from a different direction (the source of the noise, I mean?).

That's an interesting one. I wonder how you'd really address that, though? Surely a blind person would be able to tell it's coming from a different direction (the source of the noise, I mean?).

The two sets of lights are very close and people are usually stood to the left of both so the noise is always to their right, I admit I've been caught out there too and had to stop myself but I've been stood waiting to cross there and witnessed others start to cross and had to stop them either they were looking at phones or like me just heard the noise and started to cross, you also have the fact that the ped lights between the depot and Mc Donalds are not in sync. Cars will all get reds but if going from the depot to Mc Donalds the MC D side will have a green man 5-10 seconds before the light in the middle of the junction.

Something I've only noticed in the past 2 to 3 months maybe so likely theres been some change to the sequencing perhaps and something is off that never used to be.

From an article in the local paper about Millmount Abbey getting chicanes....(I’ve left the grammar and the spelling as it was, and it’s my emphasis)

“Cllr Stephen McKee said he was aware of the speed survey in Millmount Abbey and wondered who the council suggested a chiacen instead of speed ramps.

He was told that national guidelines now say that ramps are the last choice as they can cause damage to buses, ambulances and cars.

Clearly, that memo passed the Council by.

Advertisement