Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol sub 5k

• 28-10-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, not sure if I should’ve started a new thread for this so mods feel free to move.
    I’m in the market for a petrol car, sub 5k, preferably a smaller car as it’s really only for driving around Dublin with trips of approx 7k the days my wife isn’t cycling.
    She would prefer a smaller car, but not tiny. Eg an Astra would be great a Corsa would do.
    I have a 2ltr insignia diesel for the longer trips around the country. We are trying to keep the bills low, so low road tax would be great, but if we could get a reliable low cost car with a not as low road tax bill that wouldn’t be too bad.
    The insignia is a 2011 Sri so has lots of extras so if possible this car should have a nice spec level.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for all your help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi guys, not sure if I should’ve started a new thread for this so mods feel free to move.
    I’m in the market for a petrol car, sub 5k, preferably a smaller car as it’s really only for driving around Dublin with trips of approx 7k the days my wife isn’t cycling.
    She would prefer a smaller car, but not tiny. Eg an Astra would be great a Corsa would do.
    I have a 2ltr insignia diesel for the longer trips around the country. We are trying to keep the bills low, so low road tax would be great, but if we could get a reliable low cost car with a not as low road tax bill that wouldn’t be too bad.
    The insignia is a 2011 Sri so has lots of extras so if possible this car should have a nice spec level.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for all your help guys.

Steer clear of the insignia for a start.
    This is the €2k or less thread there are many others on motors suitable.

Insignia will basically sh1t itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Get the sump dropped and the pickup pipe oil seal replaced before any warnings show and everything will be fine, should cost around 500, most of the job is labour the seal itself is cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from a thread for sub 2k cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No, I have the insignia and use that for longer journeys. I’ve had it for 4years without any problems. Must be one of the lucky ones as I know they’ve a bad rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Get the sump dropped and the pickup pipe oil seal replaced before any warnings show and everything will be fine, should cost around 500, most of the job is labour the seal itself is cheap enough.

Yep had it done. But I’m looking for recommendations on a petrol if anyone can help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Small petrol like a corolla or auris. Avensis then or honda civic or accord but the 1.8 petrol civic is bullet proof and economical for what it is.

Advertisement