Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a tax on foolishness?

Options
  • 28-10-2019 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Many things people do are really rather foolish. Should foolishness be identified and then taxed. Politicians who spend more than the country makes should be deemed foolish for doing so and taxed to pay this money back along with interest due. People who smoke could perhaps also have the foolish label applied to them by means of a smoking licence.

I know some people think smoking is not foolish, it is an addiction but others might disagree about the not-being-foolish part and if they win the argument, then the foolish tax could be applied and not only to smokers and foolish politicians but lots of people who do things which might be deemed foolish. Alcoholics, gamblers, debt defaulters and so on.

Am I wrong?

Comments

In your case, it would be a worthwhile means of generating revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Smokers already pay an extortionate tax on cigarettes
    drinkers pay an extortionate amount of tax to drink.

those have already been done.
    I think sunbeds, frozen pizzas/chicken nuggets etc... should be next on the list.

but I don't believe any of these things should be taxed.

your credit being poor gets you higher interest rates so theres already fool taxes out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Obligatory post about the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

People who smoke could perhaps also have the foolish label applied to them by means of a smoking licence.

Am I wrong?

Nope, you’re not wrong at all, but as someone who smokes, I’ll have to say no to the idea of paying a separate foolishness tax on top of the amount of tax that is already added to the price of a pack of cigarettes.

Well, I would be foolish to vote for a foolishness tax when I’d end up paying more tax for smoking, and then more tax again for voting to pay more tax! :pac:

In your case, it would be a worthwhile means of generating revenue.

I shouldn’t have laughed but jesus, that was vicious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That will be €10.50 please @realitykeeper

regards
    Revenue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Seriously though, there's nothing like a nice nicotine hit..
    Just that inhalation of it, that throat hit it's lovely..

I have the odd one now and again while waiting for a fish to bite it's absolutely divine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Would the tax increase by how foolish you are? I can only imagine how much tax FG ministers would have to pay over the Irish Water /meters fiasco. Think about all the tax that could be collected from everyone involved in the children's hospital decisions. This could be a fantastic money spinner for the state :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

We can just take on Chinas new social credit system, that will fix society...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Pity the fool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Pity the fool.

He ain't gettin' on no plane.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Am I wrong?

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I like spending tax payers money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Amirani wrote: »
    Yes.

The tax would only apply to foolish people Amirani, for their own good I might add. Think of all the lives that have been saved by taxing cigarettes heavily.

I shouldn’t have laughed but jesus, that was vicious :D

I know this is off topic but please please please refrain from taking the Lords name in vain. Call me a fool if you want but there is no excuse for blasphemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I know this is off topic but please please please refrain from taking the Lords name in vain. Call me a fool if you want but there is no excuse for blasphemy.

Good God you'll be wanting a blasphemy tax next.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Good God you'll be wanting a blasphemy tax next.

Don't give him such lewd thoughts! He'll be flogging himself for hours now!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

We already do.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,626 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AllForIt wrote: »
    That will be €10.50 please @realitykeeper

regards
    Revenue
    I may be wrong, but I'm guessing you're All For It

Ahh no rk I know you take a fair amount of flak around here but it’s a fair point, that wasn’t the way I intended it. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Many things people do are really rather foolish. Should foolishness be identified and then taxed. Politicians who spend more than the country makes should be deemed foolish for doing so and taxed to pay this money back along with interest due. People who smoke could perhaps also have the foolish label applied to them by means of a smoking licence.

I know some people think smoking is not foolish, it is an addiction but others might disagree about the not-being-foolish part and if they win the argument, then the foolish tax could be applied and not only to smokers and foolish politicians but lots of people who do things which might be deemed foolish. Alcoholics, gamblers, debt defaulters and so on.

Am I wrong?

I'm sure this was on the statute books in the middle ages, at the discretion of the royal court.

In this day and age, the law is much more defined and sensible. It goes by how much money you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Jaysus relax will you....

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Don't give him such lewd thoughts! He'll be flogging himself for hours now!

On the contrary, a blasphemy tax is a very good idea but lets return to the topic at hand, the tax on foolishness.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I'm sure this was on the statute books in the middle ages, at the discretion of the royal court.

In this day and age, the law is much more defined and sensible. It goes by how much money you have.

Don`t I know! The law is biased against the rich. I say this with impartiality (I am not rich myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ToddyDoody wrote: »

basically yeah, if you live off the state you can do whatever you want and its the fault of your area etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭buried

Cant see politicians going for this. Half of them would be dragged into the zone. You had one of these political party pisswallet fools abdicating from the dail voting commision of inquiry today because she had done the exact same thing as the two fools she had planned to grill.

One of these fools drove down a flight of steps for christ sakes.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement