Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apples still on tree affected by zero night temps? What to do?

Options
  • 28-10-2019 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Can anyone advise. I harvested most of the apples from three very productive old trees. However there are still a considerable number on the higher branches which I planned to get to (so much to do, so little time!)

In the past week night temperatures here have gone below 0 Centigrade. Do I now leave them until temperatures rise again.............or get them down semi-frozen? I imagine (no experience here!) they would be ruined if I did this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It needs to be at least minus 5c before apples are damaged by frost at all. The frosts so far were slight and the apples themselves are far from frozen. I'm still picking and will leave some on the trees for a few weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Thank you Srameen! I picked one and ate it this afternoon and it seemed OK and your figure of -5 C confirms. One tree is hanging on strongly to its fruit through recent high winds so I shall leave be until its ready. A marvellous fruit!

Advertisement