Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food festival

Options
  • 28-10-2019 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Well done to all involved with the food festival over the weekend brought big crowd around its amazing the drive and passion people have for getting something for thereselves.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It was well-organised and well run. The only thing that really annoyed me was the speed of service was horrendously slow. I got something that should have taken a minute to put together but took about 5, in this time the queue behind me was growing. There were three (possibly 4) people in the stall. I would have had it served far quicker. My wife went to another stall that was really slow. If they wish to serve large crowds, the sellers really need to get their sheet together. The food was nice though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

It was well-organised and well run. The only thing that really annoyed me was the speed of service was horrendously slow. I got something that should have taken a minute to put together but took about 5, in this time the queue behind me was growing. There were three (possibly 4) people in the stall. I would have had it served far quicker. My wife went to another stall that was really slow. If they wish to serve large crowds, the sellers really need to get their sheet together. The food was nice though.

Were you in a big rush ? were you that hungry ?
    Freshly prepared food takes a bit longer to serve up.
    Maybe you should have went to a local deli for a ready made sandwich ?? :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

greenspurs wrote: »
    Were you in a big rush ? were you that hungry ?
    Freshly prepared food takes a bit longer to serve up.
    Maybe you should have went to a local deli for a ready made sandwich ?? :rolleyes:

I have a diploma in hotel management and I was a food and beverage manager, so I kinda know what I'm talking about. They were slow, really slow. I know how long it takes to cook food, the level of business there meant they should have been prepared, they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have a diploma in hotel management and I was a food and beverage manager, so I kinda know what I'm talking about. They were slow, really slow. I know how long it takes to cook food, the level of business there meant they should have been prepared, they weren't.

But I kinda know 5 mins is not really a long time …. :rolleyes:
    Jeez......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Attended this over the weekend as the Wexford one was cancelled this year.

Really enjoyed it and was much better run than our own version. Food was very good, with a special shout out to the Sri Lankans! A great bunch of lads. Sunday was mayhem with the additional crowds, but really enjoyed Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I thought the website wasn't great, functionally. It looked pretty but the information was hard to find and not very well or logically presented.

Like if you clicked on say for example 'savour stage' I would expect the location of the stage at the top of the page, but that was nowhere to be seen - you had to go rooting for it in some PDF document. Basic stuff.

And then rather than give a simple timetable of what was on the savour stage to allow you to plan your day out (like you would at any festival), you had to click each show individually and not the time, before clicking back out of it again. And they weren't listed chronologically! Like wtf?

Maybe they'll sort it out for next year. It's great to have festivals in kilkenny though. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it’s a great pity the food stalls market doesn’t run on the Bank Holiday Monday. Lots of us can’t make it down either Saturday or Sunday and completely miss it then

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

road_high wrote: »
    I think it’s a great pity the food stalls market doesn’t run on the Bank Holiday Monday. Lots of us can’t make it down either Saturday or Sunday and completely miss it then

Yeah, def missed opportunity there.
    It’d be as busy on the Monday.
    Think the taxis kicked up a fuss over the rank being closed on the Sunday night, if the market was open on the Monday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

1984baby wrote: »
    Yeah, def missed opportunity there.
    It’d be as busy on the Monday.
    Think the taxis kicked up a fuss over the rank being closed on the Sunday night, if the market was open on the Monday!!!!

They should be told where to go. There’s a decent taxi rank down by Dunnes stores- they are a private service provider demanding public service level utility pampering. Taxi drivers in Kilkenny as well as being really dreadful drivers are sone of the biggest rip off merchants going and I reckon in for a rude awakening once the bus service starts soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

They should be told where to go. There’s a decent taxi rank down by Dunnes stores- they are a private service provider demanding public service level utility pampering. Taxi drivers in Kilkenny as well as being really dreadful drivers are sone of the biggest rip off merchants going and I reckon in for a rude awakening once the bus service starts soon.

Why should customers (many of whom would be elderly) have to walk from the Parade to Dunnes Stores to get a taxi? Stop being silly.

• Advertisement

Mankbag wrote: »
    Why should customers (many of whom would be elderly) have to walk from the Parade to Dunnes Stores to get a taxi? Stop being silly.

He's not being silly. What service is operating around the parade of a bank holiday Monday that is so vital to the elderly and requiring them to get there by taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They could be in The Field or An Puke Fada getting scuttered

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

He's not being silly. What service is operating around the parade of a bank holiday Monday that is so vital to the elderly and requiring them to get there by taxi?

I said get FROM there, but let's not split hairs.

Rinuccinis, Rive Gauche, Left Bank, Club House, Hibernian, Zuni. Not by definition "vital services", but if you want to insist that people (whether old or young) should only take taxis when engaged in matters of importance, and only on non bank holidays, fair enough.

The reason for deregulating the taxi market was to give the customer a greater choice. Moving a taxi rank on the basis that some people are making money from a festival on the Parade defeats the purpose. Either we have taxi ranks or we don't.

"I'd like to get a taxi on the Parade but I'm going to have to walk to Dunnes Stores because it's a bank holiday Monday in October in Kilkenny." Parish pump politics at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I mean the easiest thing to do is close Ormonde Road from the car park down to Patrick Street for the weekend and make it a taxi rank. You can still drive up it to get to the car park but for the general public you have to exit towards New Street.

Temporary taxi rank and the old people of Kilkenny can survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

So you are telling people you have qualifications dont challange you, you answerd your own question with hotels quantity not quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Agree 100%. Anytime I’ve been to the stalls it’s so irritating how slow people move. 3 people behind a counter each one making a sandwich, then each of the 3 wait in a line behind each other to use the till. JESUS!!! 10 minutes making a burrito. Just set up a little bit of organisation and have one person doing one job each.
    I know I sound like such a whinge here, but I see so many people join these ques and then leave cause it’s so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

It’s def a big missed opportunity. You’d see so many couples going around hungover on a bank holiday Monday, and they would devour some of those food stalls if they were running.

Advertisement