Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Complex Contents Insurance

Options
  • 28-10-2019 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I have just had 2 bicycles stolen from the underground carpark of an apartment complex.

Will the theft of the bicycles be covered under the apartments insurance that the landord has or is there contents insurance provided by the building management company?

Just trying to figure out if there is any possible way to get back the value of my bikes or cut my losses. The two bikes are worth €2000 and I only have them a couple of months.

I have reported the theft to the Garda and the bikes were secured with Gold grade locks.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Your own insurance to cover your contents in rented accommodation would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

No.. The apartment owner has no insurable interest in your property.. If it goes missing, they're not at a loss.. Only you are.
    You need your own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There are probably signs up in the car park saying owners/management company are not liable for any damage or loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dubladdie

Thanks for the replies

The gate into the underground carpark has also broken for the past 2 months. I done everything in my power to prevent the bike being stolen - buying a proper gold secure lock. Surely the building management company have to hold some responsibility with the gate being broken and ultimately leading to the bikes being stolen?

The broken gate was reported to the building management company numerous times.

I think I'm trying to be too optimistic, just p1s*ed off my bikes are gone! Don't think i should be claiming from my own insurance when the building management company have some element of responsibility here too!

Edit:

There are no signs in the carpark saying owners/management company are not liable for any damage or loss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Only you have an insurable interest in your possessions. You should have tenant's insurance for your property.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dubladdie wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just had 2 bicycles stolen from the underground carpark of an apartment complex.

Will the theft of the bicycles be covered under the apartments insurance that the landord has or is there contents insurance provided by the building management company?

Just trying to figure out if there is any possible way to get back the value of my bikes or cut my losses. The two bikes are worth €2000 and I only have them a couple of months.

I have reported the theft to the Garda and the bikes were secured with Gold grade locks.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

They are your contents, so your contents insurance will be required.
    My landlord insurance doesn’t cover any of my tenants items and I don’t know if any policy that would otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

dubladdie wrote: »
    Surely the building management company have to hold some responsibility with the gate being broken and ultimately leading to the bikes being stolen?

Maybe.. Talk to a solicitor if you're going down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

antix80 wrote: »
    Maybe.. Talk to a solicitor if you're going down that route.

Highly doubtful.

The OMC won't seem themselves in anyway accountable to you OP, as you're a tennant. They are a body of owners, not residents.

For future reference if you're ever in a situation where there is a broken gate or something, then you need to hassle your landlord to in turn hassle the OMC to get it fixed. OMC's in my experience, will not engage with tenants. You can write to them all you like, but they don't have a legal relationship with you, they have one with your landlord, who in turn has one with you, so thats the chain you need to follow.

You could have also kept the bikes in your apartment, as far as I know theft from communal bike storage is really common, no matter what lock you have.

Finally, no insurance is going to cover your personal belongings other than a) specific bike insurance b) your own house contents policy. Landlord insurance is to protect the Landlords interests, not the tenants. Block policies for apartments are to cover the building itself, not items kept within.

Advertisement