Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case 995xl Hydraulic lift / Steering issues

Options
  • 28-10-2019 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks,
    I have a case 995xl turbo recently purchased. When it’s cold the lift arms take ages to lift fully and the steering can be stiff / choppy. When it warms up the lifts speed up a lot and the steering improves a bit. I am going to change the hydraulic filter tomorrow to see if this helps. Any other ideas as to what might be the cause or what might help would be greatly appreciated. I’m hoping it’s not a major fix.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

Oscar 2 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I have a case 995xl turbo recently purchased. When it’s cold the lift arms take ages to lift fully and the steering can be stiff / choppy. When it warms up the lifts speed up a lot and the steering improves a bit. I am going to change the hydraulic filter tomorrow to see if this helps. Any other ideas as to what might be the cause or what might help would be greatly appreciated. I’m hoping it’s not a major fix.

Thanks.

It sounds like wrong oil in back end oil is too thick when it’s cold

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Oscar 2

Thanks for the reply, I am probably aswell to drain the oil and fill with hytrans while I’m at the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not sure if it’s the same but on our 885xl you need to be careful not to over tighten the hydraulic filter housing as it wraps and takes in air if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭hopeso

Murang wrote: »
    It sounds like wrong oil in back end oil is too thick when it’s cold

It could well be.... Those tractors take a Hy-trans fluid in the backend, which is much lighter than standard oil. But, saying that, I've heard people say that they work fine with oil....

Will try that tomorrow, I’m unsure what oil is in it at the minute but it looks clear and is up to the max on the dipstick. Was thinking it might be the pump going or one of the main valves.

• Advertisement

Will try that tomorrow, I’m unsure what oil is in it at the minute but it looks clear and is up to the max on the dipstick. Was thinking it might be the pump going or one of the main valves.

The correct Hy-trans fluid is red in colour, but it might be hard to tell on the dip stick. I'd say if the pump was going, your hydraulics would perform better when cold, and worse when hot. But you're getting the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yep as posted above the fluid should be red hydra-tran. The cheap version which works fine costs about €60 for a 20L drum but you can get dear stuff thats up on €100 for a 20L drum.

Thanks for all the replies. Changed the filter today, drained the oil and filled up with case hytrans oil. Steering is back working 100%, lifts are working again as normal much faster than before. However, when the lifts are dropping they drop at a normal speed until about the bottom 4 to 5 inches they slow down a lot until dropped fully. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks for all the replies. Changed the filter today, drained the oil and filled up with case hytrans oil. Steering is back working 100%, lifts are working again as normal much faster than before. However, when the lifts are dropping they drop at a normal speed until about the bottom 4 to 5 inches they slow down a lot until dropped fully. Any ideas what this might be?

That's a good result!
    Was the lift dropping at a normal rate before you serviced it today?

It was lifting and dropping extremely slow but when the tractor warmed up they improved until the last few inches dropping. Now they are 100% except the last few inches dropping

• Advertisement

It was lifting and dropping extremely slow but when the tractor warmed up they improved until the last few inches dropping. Now they are 100% except the last few inches dropping

Is it possible that you are pushing the leaver too far forward when you are lowering the lift? I'm not sure, but I think pushing the control leaver forward past a certain point slows down the oil flow on those tractors.... Otherwise, check that everything outside is moving freely. There could be a slight bend in the pick up hitch rods for example....

Advertisement