Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mon-Fr commuting to Dublin office hours - best time/cost efficient options

Options
  • 28-10-2019 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

A question for anyone who commutes to Dublin Mon - Friday for work 9-5:30 ...
    During my maternity leave I moved to Drogheda and going back to work next week.
    I work near RDS from 9 -5:30. With small baby at home I would like to get there and come back as quick as possible. I drive but considering traffic during those hours travel time is very uncertain.
    Can I ask what everyone is doing, what are the best/ quickest options and how much does it cost you?
    I’ve heard of people taking train from balbriggan or any stations pass Drogheda due to cost? But what’s the situation with parking around those train stations?
    ...busses... how reliable are they? How long do they take?
    Any advise and your own experience will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

A question for anyone who commutes to Dublin Mon - Friday for work 9-5:30 ...
    During my maternity leave I moved to Drogheda and going back to work next week.
    I work near RDS from 9 -5:30. With small baby at home I would like to get there and come back as quick as possible. I drive but considering traffic during those hours travel time is very uncertain.
    Can I ask what everyone is doing, what are the best/ quickest options and how much does it cost you?
    I’ve heard of people taking train from balbriggan or any stations pass Drogheda due to cost? But what’s the situation with parking around those train stations?
    ...busses... how reliable are they? How long do they take?
    Any advise and your own experience will be greatly appreciated.
    I work in Dublin city centre and have tried all ways.

IMO

Avoid the bus if at all possible. It takes ages, depends on traffic and depending on which service you are getting (i.e Matthews) and at what time you may not get a seat. Personally I find the bus uncomfortable too.

I would get the train. If you get the Drogheda to Bray train you can go direct to Landsdown road and walk from there. As the train will either start in Drogheda or Dundalk you will always get a seat. On your way home you would get the dart from Lansdowne to Pearse most likely (or again the train from Bray depending on what time) and as most of the Drogheda trains start in Pearse you will get a seat more than likely.

My tax saver yearly ticket from Drogheda to Connolly/Pearse is about 2600. If I went from Balbriggan it's only about 1400 for unlimited train and Dart in the Dublin area. Don't know about parking there, but most people seem to get a seat getting on at Balbriggan but it's a bit of a scramble sometimes.

Prices here: https://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Annual-Tickets/

Time wise, if you have to walk a little from Landsdown road station you are talking 90 mins each way.

Basically I accepted that there is no quick way, so concentrated on finding the most comfy way which for me is the train. I always get a seat and can read a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

I would think bus / train depending where you are in Drogheda. If you are near the train station, that makes most sense.

If you are close to Matthews pickup point (GrangeRath, in town etc) perhaps a service that takes port tunnel might be worth looking into, but then you will have to DublinBike at the other end possibly.

Train would be the least hassle but often slow and sometimes delayed etc. If you are the type of person who can relax in the train with a book / netflix, you might be able to look at it as 3 hours of rest time every day.

PS: Absolute best way to get in and out is a... drumroll... motorbike...

Advertisement