Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Corolla hybrid vs 2017 Lexus IS300H

• 28-10-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting a new hybrid car, and aiming at a new Corolla 1.8 Hybrid. However, after checking the car at the dealer showroom, I found it would cost about the same of Lexus 2017 IS300H with 30K on the clock.

It's tough to decide.

Lexus is a true luxurious car, and no way to compare to corolla while still maintain Toyota legendary reliability reputation.

Looking around used cars ads, I could not see many IS300H, it seems like the car no hot in the used car market.

What are the odds of the IS300H !?

What do you think, a new Corolla or an approved pre-owned lexus from a registred dealer with warranty.

Your thoughs are very much apprciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

egyman wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting a new hybrid car, and aiming at a new Corolla 1.8 Hybrid. However, after checking the car at the dealer showroom, I found it would cost about the same of Lexus 2017 IS300H with 30K on the clock.

It's tough to decide.

Lexus is a true luxurious car, and no way to compare to corolla while still maintain Toyota legendary reliability reputation.

Looking around used cars ads, I could not see many IS300H, it seems like the car no hot in the used car market.

What are the odds of the IS300H !?

What do you think, a new Corolla or an approved pre-owned lexus from a registred dealer with warranty.

Your thoughs are very much apprciated.

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the other costs associated with premium ownership rather than just the purchase price? While Lexus and Toyota are the same company there can be different ownership costs between a Corolla and a IS300h.

For example, the IS300H has a 2.5 litre petrol engine versus 1.8 litre in the Corolla, does the fuel economy difference bother you? Also a Lexus dealer will charge you a good bit more to service an IS300h than a Toyota dealer will charge you to service a Corolla which probably comes with 3 years free servicing anyway. Another thing to consider is a brand new Corolla will have a longer warranty than a 3 year old IS300h.

If you are happy with these trade offs then go for it as you live once but just make sure you are aware of the differences up front rather than just the prices of the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 egyman

bazz26 wrote: »
    For example, the IS300H has a 2.5 litre petrol engine versus 1.8 litre in the Corolla, does the fuel economy difference bother you? Also a Lexus dealer will charge you a good bit more to service an IS300h than a Toyota dealer will charge you to service a Corolla which probably comes with 3 years free servicing anyway. Another thing to consider is a brand new Corolla will have a longer warranty than a 3 year old IS300h.

If you are happy with these trade offs then go for it as you live once but just make sure you are aware of the differences up front rather than just the prices of the cars.

I agree with you, there should be some differences, however, I do not think it will cost more, as Lexus is as reliable as corolla, and usually it will end up with oil and filter.

Getting a more stronger motor, auto, lots of premium luxurious options, will outweigh these minor premium in running cost.

Also, I do not think the new corolla will have impressive mileage over the real 49MPG of the IS300H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I agree with you, there should be some differences, however, I do not think it will cost more, as Lexus is as reliable as corolla, and usually it will end up with oil and filter.

Getting a more stronger motor, auto, lots of premium luxurious options, will outweigh these minor premium in running cost.

Also, I do not think the new corolla will have impressive mileage over the real 49MPG of the IS300H.

sounds like you have your mind made up.

Oil will cost more, the filter will cost more. you still need to change other things too. Fuel, mirco filter etc. which will all cost more than they do for the Toyota. Labour will also cost more. with a car like the lexus you will have to go main dealer service I would imagin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

the real 49MPG of the IS300H.

Most estimates I've heard from anyone running one is 7.2-7.7l/100km.

That's impressive for a 2.5l petrol mind, but not for some one with a diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like you already have you mind made up, good luck.

• Advertisement

.......... the real 49MPG of the IS300H.
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    Most estimates I've heard from anyone running one is 7.2-7.7l/100km.

That's impressive for a 2.5l petrol mind, but not for some one with a diesel.

My father is seeing under 7.0l/100km ........ lots of short trips but the guts of his mileage is done to and from various golf courses that are 40 to 100km spins for him.

I knocked 50mpg out of a CH-R hybrid over a tank and most of the miles was London to Gloucester on the motorways, some country pootliing and some urban stuff.

The 1.8 Corolla will most certainly be lighter on petrol and noticeably so than the IS300h, as one would expect. Totally worth it though IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldn't be getting too excited about the luxuries of the IS300h. Sure a nice step from a corrolla but not a luxury car really.
    Go the whole hog. Get a gs300h.

mickdw wrote: »
    I wouldn't be getting too excited about the luxuries of the IS300h. Sure a nice step from a corrolla but not a luxury car really.
    Go the whole hog. Get a gs300h.

Your are right, I though about it, especially the used of both are almost same cost.
    However, the gs300 is bigger, and longer, and of course heavier with less MPG.

The other tough thing, is most of my driving in R road and the GS will be hard to drive without getting it scratched all the way :).

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sounds like you already have you mind made up, good luck.

Honeslty, I have not decided anything yet, I am just tinking with you lads loudly.

Actually, you can consider me like a Toyota fan, I own Yaris, and Corolla 10.

I know Corolla will beat any car in running cost, however its pricing is frantic for what they offer (I am talking here on the top line sepcs which is around 33K Euros.)

This why I start thinking about a luxury car which is value for money and also peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Casati

Honeslty, I have not decided anything yet, I am just tinking with you lads loudly.

Actually, you can consider me like a Toyota fan, I own Yaris, and Corolla 10.

I know Corolla will beat any car in running cost, however its pricing is frantic for what they offer (I am talking here on the top line sepcs which is around 33K Euros.)

This why I start thinking about a luxury car which is value for money and also peace of mind.

I don’t like the IS300, the stying is odd and although its RWD it doesn’t drive anything as good as say a 320i or C200, and the cabin is very old fashioned by current standards. It also got a tiny boot and limited tear seat space. I like the older IS250 but not this model and it seems I’m lot alone as it’s a poor seller.

The new Corolla seems mad money for a Corolla, despite it being a self charging’ hybrid. If was liked Jap cars I’d be buying a new Civic 4 door instead of either the Lexus or Toyota. The new Mazda 3 Hybrid is worth a look too if you are keen on auto/ hybrid. If you really want Toyota would a demo Camry be in budget, think they are 39k new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m 6’1 and have good enough room in the back. It’s bigger than the older 05 onwards model in the back. Very similar sized to the new Corolla in the back.

I wouldn’t say the boot is tiny either. It’s not massive but at 450 litres you can’t call it tiny. Being a saloon it’s not as practical as a hatchback of course.

Casati wrote: »
    I don’t like the IS300, the stying is odd and although its RWD it doesn’t drive anything as good as say a 320i or C200, and the cabin is very old fashioned by current standards. It also got a tiny boot and limited tear seat space. I like the older IS250 but not this model and it seems I’m lot alone as it’s a poor seller.

The new Corolla seems mad money for a Corolla, despite it being a self charging’ hybrid. If was liked Jap cars I’d be buying a new Civic 4 door instead of either the Lexus or Toyota. The new Mazda 3 Hybrid is worth a look too if you are keen on auto/ hybrid. If you really want Toyota would a demo Camry be in budget, think they are 39k new

I know, Toyota are not making fancy cars, or sporty ones to enjoy driving like BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. However, Toyota is the best and top winner in reliability, overall cost of ownership, and peace of mind.

I wish if any of the German cars is half reliable like Lexus or Corolla.
    You need to be a real wealthy to enjoy owing one of them.

The new Camry is amazing, but too big for a sole driver and also out of my budget for a good used Lexus.

You are also correct on Civic, I like, but unfortunately, no good hybrid, and also no good Auto gear history.

I do not know, I may wait a little and see how the EV market comes with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You should look at standard service pricing for Lexus vs. Toyota, there's a big difference.

40-45 MPG is much more realistic for the IS300h, not sure where you got the 49 from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you’re dropping 30k on a car. The difference in fuel costs between Lexus and corolla are negligible ! Likewise with oil service if you go to main dealer. But if your looking at a used Lexus , have you checked if it’s worthwhile importing from uk op ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I know, Toyota are not making fancy cars, or sporty ones to enjoy driving like BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. However, Toyota is the best and top winner in reliability, overall cost of ownership, and peace of mind.

I wish if any of the German cars is half reliable like Lexus or Corolla.
    You need to be a real wealthy to enjoy owing one of them.

The new Camry is amazing, but too big for a sole driver and also out of my budget for a good used Lexus.

You are also correct on Civic, I like, but unfortunately, no good hybrid, and also no good Auto gear history.

I do not know, I may wait a little and see how the EV market comes with.

Wealthy to own a German car ? You serious ? For the last 15 years I’ve driven nothing but older German cars. Had virtually nothing go wrong that wasn’t wear and tear stuff! Put my 13 year old merc with 180 km on clock through nct and it passed first time...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Wealthy to own a German car ? You serious ? For the last 15 years I’ve driven nothing but older German cars. Had virtually nothing go wrong that wasn’t wear and tear stuff! Put my 13 year old merc with 180 km on clock through nct and it passed first time...

It is not a secret, German cars are the worst in reliability every year. Maybe the older models were more reliable than newer ones.

Check this 3rd generation US mechanic,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9d7oTK8zo&t=168s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t click that link. Bad things will happen.

It’s not a virus, just that bloody Scotty Kilmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is there a hyprid Mazda? Thats new to me. I know there is the Mazda 3 with the new Sky Active X engine but thats a petrol engine that is supposed to be as economical as a diesel engine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Casati

AMKC wrote: »
    Is there a hyprid Mazda? Thats new to me. I know there is the Mazda 3 with the new Sky Active X engine but thats a petrol engine that is supposed to be as economical as a diesel engine.

Sorry it’s a mild hybrid

https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Mazda/3/3_2.0_SkyActiv-G_M-Hybrid_(2019)/1466/8909/2019-Mazda-3-2.0-SkyActiv-G-M-Hybrid-(2019)-review.html

Advertisement