Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness Protest 05 December GPO, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can't see their proposals on solving homelessness. Maybe you could post them up for us to read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

How many likes do they need to end homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How many were going to storm Area 51 recently?

How many actually turned up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Can't see their proposals on solving homelessness. Maybe you could post them up for us to read?

Nice picture of the House of Commons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

4eva homes for all de angles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I know when you look at the page It looks like people giving out about all sorts. Really should be a protest for rent decrease etc as alot are homeless due to that alone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is this the Apollo House effort of 2019.?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good initiative, I'll go with herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Maybe if the millions given to the Homeless Charities was used wisely we would not need this at all. And I say that because these multiple Homeless Charities are well funded through taxation and grants and all the rest of it.

Am tired of this now. It could be solved but it isn’t. Why? Anyone from the Charities care to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Sorry I can't go... I have to go to work to PAY for my own home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'll be honest - the Margaret Cash case pretty much drained 90% (or thereabouts) of the sympathy out of me.

I'll be honest - the Margaret Cash case pretty much drained 90% of the sympathy out of me.

Back to Brexit for you, your talents are wasted here. Lol

Back to Brexit for you, your talents are wasted here. Lol

Luckily I can multitask :cool:

Luckily I can multitask :cool:

Ha ha. Ya muppet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What do we want
    Free gafs
    Where do we want them
    Dublin city and surrounding suburbs
    What type of houses
    3 bed semi-s
    How bigs the garden
    Enough for a trampoline
    What about jobs
    I knew somebody once who had one.sounded crap

I'll be honest - the Margaret Cash case pretty much drained 90% (or thereabouts) of the sympathy out of me.

I like how they put her right up on a pedastal and she proved 100% the stereotype of social housing tenants that the left claimed didnt exist.

I like how they put her right up on a pedastal and she proved 100% the stereotype of social housing tenants that the left claimed didnt exist.

Well, she has her roof now and is bringing in 50 - 60k a year est.

What's not to be annoyed about?

Just keep paying your taxes.

Yeah i was a bit sympathetic but now ALOT of the posts I'm seeing are 'I'm on the housing list 15 years can ya believe that' but I can't help thinking hang on why would you even let yourself stay on a list for 15 years, surely the housing list and the social welfare alone are just a support not a life long thing,

Why anyone would need to wait 15 years on a list for a free house is beyond me, what about every other single parent or family in the country that have to break their back working their arse off Monday to Friday to pay for their own mortgage or house...

And if you are capable of work but sit on your arse for fifteen years waiting for a house from the government then you deserve to wait that long, heck wait another fifteen years for all I care, why should we feel sympathy for someone waiting around for a free house when they could easily be out working ten years ago and be a home owner by now.

Do not mean any nastiness by that post but seriously.. There's an awful lot of people actually thinking they are the victim

Now a protest for rent decrease i am happy to March for... A one bed apartment for a young couple €800 a month in waterford city is waaaay too expensive.

But I wont be protesting to give a free house to those capable of work that have been sitting on their arse claiming job seekers popping out babies for fifteen years

Yeah i was a bit sympathetic but now ALOT of the posts I'm seeing are 'I'm on the housing list 15 years can ya believe that' but I can't help thinking hang on why would you even let yourself stay on a list for 15 years, surely the housing list and the social welfare alone are just a support not a life long thing,

Why anyone would need to wait 15 years on a list for a free house is beyond me, what about every other single parent or family in the country that have to break their back working their arse off Monday to Friday to pay for their own mortgage or house...

And if you are capable of work but sit on your arse for fifteen years waiting for a house from the government then you deserve to wait that long, heck wait another fifteen years for all I care, why should we feel sympathy for someone waiting around for a free house when they could easily be out working ten years ago and be a home owner by now.

Do not mean any nastiness by that post but seriously.. There's an awful lot of people actually thinking they are the victim

And its always ‘im on the housing list 15 years aged 33, went down and put their name down on the 18th birthday on advice from the ma and sure 2-7 kids in the mean time got them bumped up a few places. Theyre angry their intended life plan is taking longer than expected , not that theyve suddenly fallen on hard times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I suspect this thread is not going the way the OP hoped. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So decent folk are taking it upon themselves to protest the homeless crisis that likely doesn't effect most of them. Lousy chancers wha?
    Sure it's worse elsewhere, that right Leo?

Now a protest for rent decrease i am happy to March for... A one bed apartment for a young couple €800 a month in waterford city is waaaay too expensive.

But I wont be protesting to give a free house to those capable of work that have been sitting on their arse claiming job seekers popping out babies for fifteen years

You brought it on yourself.
    It's all linked. You go marching for lower rent and see all the bright lights slagging you looking for your foreva home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe they should ask for free contraception while homeless seem to a fair few that declare that they are homeless and then chose to get pregnant more than once while living in emergency accommodation

Gatling wrote: »
    Maybe they should ask for free contraception while homeless seem to a fair few that declare that they are homeless and then chose to get pregnant more than once while living in emergency accommodation

You'd be wrong. So Margret Cash and the like get foreva homes and the homeless are also Margret Cash and the like. They certainly get around.

You get in emergency accommodation based on your situation. Are you suggesting this emergency stop gap is where people choose to get more emergency-y and are there long enough to get pregnant and have the baby to be on the emergency emergency list?

There's a housing crisis too which feeds the homeless crisis. People, working tax payers can't afford to pay their way is the issue more than too many babies and foreva homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

Couldn't agree more. Social welfare has gone from being a helping hand, a dig out when you fall on hard times to a deliberate lifestyle choice.

Then again, if you have seen your grandparents and your parents sit on their backsides and scrounge their whole lives, what incentive would you have to go out and work for a living.

I'm due my first baby in January, I've worked full time for the past 20 years and i'm trying to decide if we can manage if i take a few years unpaid leave. Because i certainly won't be entitled to every handout going. It makes it hard to have much sympathy to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So decent folk are taking it upon themselves to protest the homeless crisis that likely doesn't effect most of them. Lousy chancers wha?
    Sure it's worse elsewhere, that right Leo?

Some people like protesting Matt. It takes their minds off their own problems and what they changes they might have to make to their own lives to correct those problems.

You'd be wrong. So Margret Cash and the like get foreva homes and the homeless are also Margret Cash and the like. They certainly get around.

You get in emergency accommodation based on your situation. Are you suggesting this emergency stop gap is where people choose to get more emergency-y and are there long enough to get pregnant and have the baby to be on the emergency emergency list?

There's a housing crisis too which feeds the homeless crisis. People, working tax payers can't afford to pay their way is the issue more than too many babies and foreva homes.

the bump up the list babies perpetuate the crisis though, we're walking into the third generation now of working / middle class people having 2 or less children while people who have never worked are still outbreeding us. There are children growing up in ireland where neither their parents or grandparents have ever held a full time job.

this business of having a child bumping you up the housing list is causing its own strain on the system, in addition to a strain on resources in the health/welfare/prisons/gardai which in turn mandate the insane tax rates placed on working people which keep them in the need for social housing as they cant afford their own. Its a cycle that needs to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the left never claimed such a person didn't exist. we said, and we continue to say that everything shows they are the minority.
    it is only to those who were never going to believe anything other then the stereotype, that cash proved that what the rest of us never denied, was the case.

the bump up the list babies perpetuate the crisis though, we're walking into the third generation now of working / middle class people having 2 or less children while people who have never worked are still outbreeding us. There are children growing up in ireland where neither their parents or grandparents have ever held a full time job.

this business of having a child bumping you up the housing list is causing its own strain on the system, in addition to a strain on resources in the health/welfare/prisons/gardai which in turn mandate the insane tax rates placed on working people which keep them in the need for social housing as they cant afford their own. Its a cycle that needs to be stopped.

a small country with a small population, which is slowly but surely engaging in modernisation, is going to have a highish tax rate.
    our tax rate isn't insane, but yes it is highish. however if you want services then you are going to have to pay tax. a low tax economy cannot deliver services or anything for that matter.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

the left never claimed such a person didn't exist. we said, and we continue to say that everything shows they are the minority.
    it is only to those who were never going to believe anything other then the stereotype, that cash proved that what the rest of us never denied, was the case.

a small country with a small population, which is slowly but surely engaging in modernisation, is going to have a highish tax rate.
    our tax rate isn't insane, but yes it is highish. however if you want services then you are going to have to pay tax. a low tax economy cannot deliver services or anything for that matter.

with the exception of roads and gardai i rely very little on government services so don't expect them or want them to deliver many anyway, as is the same with most people in my position.

Advertisement