Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressing newborns for bed

• 29-10-2019 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

So due to the joys of pregnancy insomnia, here I am at 4.20 wondering about how to dress a newborn for bed!

I’m a little confused.

I know the sleeping bags are great but I would imagine putting a brand new baby into one isn’t advised and that they’re more designed for 2-3 weeks +

I also know you’re not supposed to put blankets in with babies so I’m left wondering, what do I put my newborn to bed in?
    It will be Feb/March so I’ll be worried about them being warm enough.

What did you all dress your newborns in/cover them with for bedtime?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many babies lose a small bit of weight in the first few weeks as their digestive system develops, so size won't vary much.

I haven't heard the advice about blankets, but I've never been a primary care giver.

In general, less clothing is better. If they are too cold they will wake and tell(!) you. If they are too warm, they will have difficulty waking.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cuddlepunk

I always had light blankets on my newborns, my youngest is 12 now so unless advice has changed etc. I used cellular blankets, a folded blanket will count as 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

A vest, sleepsuit and a cellular blanket for my December baby.

Cellular blankets are fine because they are breathable so baby won’t get too warm and can still breathe if it gets pulled up over their face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Tefral

We had our first recently and pregnancy insomnia applies to us dads too. I was driven mad with questions like this in my own head.

Anyway, take a breath. It's funny when the baby is born it's like a weird instinct kicks in that you never had before and you kinda just do the right things. Common sense actually raises kids ha ha.

We put on a longslieve vest, a wonder suit and then laid a folded up cellular blanket over him. You cant put anything in with them that's not breathable or anything that restricts the breathability of the cot.

They are very good for sleeping on their back at the start. Its once they start wanting to turn over and sleep on their belly is when the real fun begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

We used a vest, babygro & then a knitted blanket with plenty of holes in the knit or a cellular blanket also works. Usually new babies don't move that much so will keep a blanket on them if it's tucked in well. Advice is to place them feet at bottom of Moses basket/ cot as they can only move upwards then & not down under the blanket. Buy a room thermometer, it gives great peace of mind & will dictate how many layers/ how u dress the baby. Usually ante-natal classes cover all that anyway. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Thanks all!

Tefral, the questions that appear in the early hours are so random aren’t they!
    And seem so big and important when you’re laying there in the dark!

Cellular blankets it is then, thanks for the advice everyone :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As above.Tucking blankets under babies armpits helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

My December girl didnt move much in bed the few month, tuck a cellular blanket and they will be fine. I found growbags invaluable once she started moving she does 20 laps of the cot a night, still does now at nearly 2.

A lot of monitors have a thermometer in them which is handy. Just be careful not to have it too warm and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tomspud

Depends on how cold it is. At the minute with mine its vest , babygrow and sleeping bag.
    Hospitals /public health nurse will advise you to use cellular blankets as its breathable.

If the bags arent suitable for newborn I suppose depends how cold it is and maybe the babies size then get a few warm baby grows. Theres a big difference between the light and heavy ones.

By the way ull be fine. Busy but fine. Dont worry too much. Its exciting and every day they'll give you something to smile about.

Edit ask the hospital to show you how to swaddle with the blanket. They love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Cellular blankets. I usually lie her on the blanket and wrap it over her (arms out), so that when she’s fed and asleep I’m putting her into the cot with her own heat, rather than down onto a cold mattress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We tucked the blanket under each side of the cot so it wouldnt ride up over her face and had her in a growbag and pjs

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

I would echo the advice about a room thermometer - they're so useful as the temperature changes throughout the night and often newborns won't let you know if they're too hot or cold. I used sleeping bags from about 6 weeks (they recommend them based on weight as well as age). There's a a handy chart for what to dress the baby in based on room temperature and tog of the sleeping bag. I think people over dress their babies (older people kept advising me to put on more layers/blankets etc) but the hospital was firm in saying that overheating is the issue. Check the baby's tummy and back for temperature rather than hands.

One thing I would say is my baby literally wouldn't be put down (not exaggerating) so I researched safe cosleeping when breastfeeding. The midwife in the hospital showed me how to do it also but it's not officially recommended so you need to do your own research. Sleeping bags are great for this because you can lower the tog.

Another option is swaddling - I never did this as hospital said not to and also not recommended for cosleeping. However, swaddling is recommended in other countries for safe sleep so also worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I found swaddling brilliant and used something similar to what’s in the link below (you can google other similar options) for the first 2/3 months before they went into the bigger sleeping bags.

https://gro.co.uk/product/gro-snug/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

we used swaddling for the first 6 months and it was great, snug as a bug and fast asleep in minutes.

Advertisement