Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarm sticker says replace by 2012. Which type for a straight swap

Options
  • 29-10-2019 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Was changingthe battery in one of our 2 smoke alarms and found a sticker underneath casting replace alarm by 2012. Never knew it and sticker is well hidden.

Anyways, the current alarms are connected using a square 3 pin type connector onto the back of the unit, ie, the 3 pins are on the alarm and the plug is coming down from the ceiling.

Rather than having to get an electrician to rewire new alarms, is this plug common nowadays and can I get a straight swap to just plug in?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If it is like for like, yes.

Typically smoke detectors expire after 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »

It's generally 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's generally 10 years.

Am I the only one who never heard this before? I always thought once they were wired in/had batteries and you tested them regularly they were good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thoie wrote: »
    Am I the only one who never heard this before? I always thought once they were wired in/had batteries and you tested them regularly they were good.

It’s nothing to do with the power supply, it’s due to the decay of a radioactive element within the detector.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's generally 10 years.

It varies. I was providing a conservative estimate.
    Nest are 7 years

• Advertisement

It’s nothing to do with the power supply, it’s due to the decay of a radioactive element within the detector.

That's my point. We see fairly frequent ads about testing your alarm regularly etc, but I'm pretty safety conscious and don't think I've ever heard before that they have a lifespan. The ones in my last place were there 11 years, and probably still are.

Thoie wrote: »
    That's my point. We see fairly frequent ads about testing your alarm regularly etc, but I'm pretty safety conscious and don't think I've ever heard before that they have a lifespan. The ones in my last place were there 11 years, and probably still are.

It’s a fair point. I recommend Nest, they “inform” you via the app that they have expired.

It’s a fair point. I recommend Nest, they “inform” you via the app that they have expired.

I moved into a new build last year, so know roughly when my current ones were first installed. I've just set a calendar reminder for 6 years to replace them.

Advertisement