Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycliq fly 6 alternatives

Options
  • 29-10-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

considering investing in a fly6 camera light , dont see a lot of alternatives on line, not that i have a particular problem with the fly6 , i just like to know what else is out there , so are there any decent alternatives

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was only really the Aldi/Chinese knock off version.

MagicShine were supposed to be doing one and a prototype was shown at some trade show but I presume cycliq mayve had some words

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

For anyone with either the front or back, or both, are they worth the cost? Video quality seems good but in terms of lighting and durability how are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Hurrache wrote: »
    For anyone with either the front or back, or both, are they worth the cost? Video quality seems good but in terms of lighting and durability how are they?

I have a second-hand rear unit, presumably had heavy use for x years before I got it, and it's working perfectly for the past 2 years for me. Build quality is excellent. Image quality is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've used a Fly 6 rear light and camera for about 4 years now and find it very very good.

The video quality is not as sharp as the GoPro I use at the front, but perfectly fine. Battery never seems to run out of charge no matter how long I go without plugging it in.

Only durability issue I've had has been around the rubber straps breaking from moving it from one bike to another all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I use the original version of both. The picture quality on the front is better, though I believe the new rear camera is much better than the old from this point of view.

The front one I have is pretty heavy and I'd recommend a really good quality mount, both to ensure the mount doesn't break and also to reduce vibrations which cause the camera to shake and hence reduce the video quality.

The light on both is excellent for commuting purposes - if cycling on unlit roads you might need something a bit brighter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have the new one, picture quality is excellent but struggles in certain lights, i will try and upload some videos of my commute for you to look at tomorrow. Battery is OK, but not as good as the old one by the sounds of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recently got the rear one.
    It's good but in poor light it may not be great at seeing a car reg.
    A close pass video from a fortnight ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I recently got the rear one.
    It's good but in poor light it may not be great at seeing a car reg.
    A close pass video from a fortnight ago...

Yes low light clarity is probably the Fly6's weak point. That said I dont think I've ever had a problem reading a reg on it.

As an aside, the first drivers driving in that video was absolutely exemplary. Pity they all could not be like him/her.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Duckjob wrote: »
    As an aside, the first drivers driving in that video was absolutely exemplary. Pity they all could not be like him/her.
    Plus I held them up for over a kilometre and in fairness despite me doing about 35kmh they still performed a courteous overtake. All credit to them.
    Anyhow back to the Fly6...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Battery comparison for the old Fly6 vs old Fly12 - I get 5 days of commuting out of the Fly12 on a fairly bright flashing setting.
    The Fly6 on the minimal setting where the light just spins around the camera lens doesn't get me through the same 5 days, I usually charge it on the Thursday night.
    I've had both the same length of time and always use them together so any battery deterioration should be similar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

I was looking into these cameras a bit and the clyciq 12 CE . Would it be worth the money purely for a light/camera back and front which is near half the price of the bike or would I be best off with let's say a go pro hero 8 which I could then use for other outdoor stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

I had a fly6, stopped charging after less than a year, sent it back and eventually got a refund. I'd love a helmet camera that didn't look like a tellytubby setup

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Deadwards.com

WAPAIC wrote: »
    I had a fly6, stopped charging after less than a year, sent it back and eventually got a refund. I'd love a helmet camera that didn't look like a tellytubby setup

I am the same. Would love a helmet camera but the only one I've seen is the Cyclevision one and that needs a bit of refining I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Duckjob wrote: »
    I've used a Fly 6 rear light and camera for about 4 years now and find it very very good.

The video quality is not as sharp as the GoPro I use at the front, but perfectly fine. Battery never seems to run out of charge no matter how long I go without plugging it in.

Only durability issue I've had has been around the rubber straps breaking from moving it from one bike to another all the time.

I use the rubber bands you get with garmin computer mounts. Works great and far more durable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My one came with a velcro strap, it holds it on but you have to really tighten it as much as possible or you get alot of vibration
    I use the rubber bands you get with garmin computer mounts. Works great and far more durable
    They are great, use them for lot of light and other fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

WAPAIC wrote: »

I got a strap mount that clamps onto my backpack strap at chest level. Not quite the full benefit of having it in your head but a bit more moveable than bar mounted.

I also have a fly6 first gen about 2 years now and echo what other posters have mentioned. Softer quality, struggles in low light, but a very decent light. 24km of cycling each day and charge lasts a week or so set to flashing light at brightest setting.

Advertisement