Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for an indoor Papyrus?

Options
  • 29-10-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I've my Papyrus about 3-4 months. It's not as green as its once was and the long stems are becoming floppy. I'm a total novice to plants/gardening and really need some advice to care for it. I move it into sunnier parts of my home throughout the day. I spray the stalks with water and I don't believe I'm over watering it.
    Do the stalks need to be trimmed when they become floppy?....any advice would be helpful, I love this plant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

ClubDead wrote: »
    I've my Papyrus about 3-4 months. It's not as green as its once was and the long stems are becoming floppy. I'm a total novice to plants/gardening and really need some advice to care for it. I move it into sunnier parts of my home throughout the day. I spray the stalks with water and I don't believe I'm over watering it.
    Do the stalks need to be trimmed when they become floppy?....any advice would be helpful, I love this plant.

Not grown this plant myself but it sounds interesting so I looked up some related website articles. The best of these in my opinion is at this link. It seems to suggest that the taller varieties may benefit from some sort of wire support around the lower part of the stem of the plant to prevent the large leaves from flopping about too much. It might also benefit from re-potting which it suggests needs to be done about once a year. I found it interesting that since it is an aquatic plant the end of the pot can be left sitting in a tray of water that can be topped up when needed. This would be over watering and detrimental to most other house plants which usually need to have the potting mix dry out a bit in between watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

macraignil wrote: »
    Not grown this plant myself but it sounds interesting so I looked up some related website articles. The best of these in my opinion is at this link. It seems to suggest that the taller varieties may benefit from some sort of wire support around the lower part of the stem of the plant to prevent the large leaves from flopping about too much. It might also benefit from re-potting which it suggests needs to be done about once a year. I found it interesting that since it is an aquatic plant the end of the pot can be left sitting in a tray of water that can be topped up when needed. This would be over watering and detrimental to most other house plants which usually need to have the potting mix dry out a bit in between watering.

Thank you so much, that was really helpful. It really is a beautiful plant, very architecture. But perhaps not the best option for a complete plant novice :o Thank you again.

Advertisement