Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Same. :(

Same here, emailed them screenshots from Registration site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just tried to contact them online and according to their FB messenger, they are now closed for the weekend. But, anyone who hasn't gotten their code by now will get a text on Monday. At .... you guessed it, 12pm.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Same....how am I supposed to sell my Golden Ticket and secure the financial future of my kids if it doesn't arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

This is farcical, who could have seen this coming.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just tried to contact them online and according to their FB messenger, they are now closed for the weekend. But, anyone who hasn't gotten their code by now will get a text on Monday. At .... you guessed it, 12pm.

FFS.

Ditto.

• Advertisement

Anyone else a bit sceptical? Monday at 12pm is when the 72hr deadline comes to a close ... have they run out of entries already?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

FFS.

How dare volunteers finish on a Friday and take the weekend off. The cheek :p

Anyone else a bit sceptical? Monday at 12pm is when the 72hr deadline comes to a close ... have they run out of entries already?

They have clarified the 72 hours is from when email is sent so from Monday for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I admit I'm a fraud!

I entered DCM this year but due to illness did not run it. I last ran it in 2014 I think. Got a code by surprise this morning. I had heard on the radio about the lottery and was not going to bother. Looks like I'll jump on the Hansons thread for DCM20 now and as a 'valued customer' pay €93 within the 72hrs!. It read like ransom! Bizarre approach to the change but it was coming and at least they stuck to their guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Same....how am I supposed to sell my Golden Ticket and secure the financial future of my kids if it doesn't arrive?

Make me an offer. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

got the email at 2:27 pm

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Make me an offer. ;)

This is exactly the sort of thing the organisers should have foreseen! Unscrupulous exploitation. Why in the name of God they couldn't just use a simple lottery system I'll never know!!!!............oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I have to admit I had a friends code in hand all day and was close to pulling the trigger but decided against.

KSU wrote: »
    How dare volunteers finish on a Friday and take the weekend off. The cheek :p

They have clarified the 72 hours is from when email is sent so from Monday for some.

Firstly, the FFS was my frustration at the situation, not the volunteers. I can see now that it doesn't read that way. As someone who volunteers regularly at my own club I know the amount of time they put in, so apologies if any offence was taken - genuinely wasnt directed at volunteers or organisers.

Also, and again, not worded very well by me I admit, what I meant about being sceptical was that I was sceptical about the number of places that are left.
    My suspicion is that they have sent out 22.5k codes or whatever amount they have and now the computer says no when they try to generate codes for the rest of us previous customers.
    I don't think it is a coincidence that they chose to stagger the emails with codes and I dont think it's a coincidence that they did it on a Friday (just before the weekend) or that they gave people 72hrs (until the end of the weekend) to claim. In fact, it is clever.

They must waiting to see how many of the first 22.5k don't avail of the offer. By 12pm on Monday they will know that and then the rest of us will begin to receive texts with the unused codes. But sure they cant admit this on social media because we'll all go digging our pitchforks out of the shed!

In fairness, it is the most sensible way to do what they are trying to do. It doesn't make me less frustrated, but I also accept that that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

frash wrote: »
    Ah go on - tell us

More that 22,500 anyway

I got mine and I'm in again for next year

Around 50000 was the number I was given.
    It will be sold out by Monday at this rate.

Firstly, the FFS was my frustration at the situation, not the volunteers. I can see now that it doesn't read that way. As someone who volunteers regularly at my own club I know the amount of time they put in, so apologies if any offence was taken - genuinely wasnt directed at volunteers or organisers.

Also, and again, not worded very well by me I admit, what I meant about being sceptical was that I was sceptical about the number of places that are left.
    My suspicion is that they have sent out 22.5k codes or whatever amount they have and now the computer says no when they try to generate codes for the rest of us previous customers.
    I don't think it is a coincidence that they chose to stagger the emails with codes and I dont think it's a coincidence that they did it on a Friday (just before the weekend) or that they gave people 72hrs (until the end of the weekend) to claim. In fact, it is clever.

They must waiting to see how many of the first 22.5k don't avail of the offer. By 12pm on Monday they will know that and then the rest of us will begin to receive texts with the unused codes. But sure they cant admit this on social media because we'll all go digging our pitchforks out of the shed!

In fairness, it is the most sensible way to do what they are trying to do. It doesn't make me less frustrated, but I also accept that that's life.

That's right up there with some of the best conspiracy theories in history!

I have to admit I had a friends code in hand all day and was close to pulling the trigger but decided against.

Do it! You're a runner. Enter in your own name. Don't go the assuming an identity route...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Sorry tried to add the smiley face to show I was joking, just fatigue from the mass social media hysteria the last few days.

I would imagine the stagger is something a bit more simple. The lottery entries opened today as well as the guaranteed spots so I reckon probably a way of making sure the site doesn't crash and people really lose their sh!t.

Also they can't mass send out emails as they are unique codes generated so the manual work is probably significant enough from IT side with that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I honestly don't think DCM are this organised or calculated judging by past performances.

I'd also question the volunteer aspect of the post you are responding to. This is a registered business with with massive turnover, 2 million plus from the marathon alone, excluding the Dublin series, merchandise etc. This is a business and you can be absolutely guaranteed people are making good money from it. Decent customer service levels should be provided and on a race sale launch day shutting up shop and going home with some automated response is piss poor, especially with all the mixed messages being given out in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I honestly don't think DCM are this organised or calculated judging by past performances.

I'd also question the volunteer aspect of the post you are responding to. This is a registered business with with massive turnover, 2 million plus from the marathon alone, excluding the Dublin series, merchandise etc. This is a business and you can be absolutely guaranteed people are making good money from it. Decent customer service levels should be provided and on a race sale launch day shutting up shop and going home with some automated response is piss poor, especially with all the mixed messages being given out in the last few days.

Not only are they making good money from it, the next race they’re organising is on the moon! I don’t see the point of that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

My OH ran it in 2016 (1st and only marathon to date) and recieved a code via email today! Methinks there is some serious IT screwups happening. I got code after 12 today, was going to wait until Monday to enter but now not sure if their system is up to it tbh so might sign up now, was going to run it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've volunteered for 5 of the last 7 marathons (ran the other two) and I've never been paid a penny. I think most of the people working on the marathon on Sunday or the Expo didn't get a penny. Yep, it makes money but that money pays for the cups of teas we get, the odd sandwich we eat and also for security/Garda/medics etc. I was told by someone a couple of years ago that it costs €400K to close the roads for the day of the marathon. Without us volunteers (loaded down with the money we were paid:rolleyes:) last weekend, you'd be hard pressed to run an Expo, have a bag drop, provide safe roads for runners, hand you out water on the route and give you a medal.

But you go ahead and say that they're all fleecing it. There's a lot of people on here moaning all week and really folks, some of ye want to grow up. The marathon can't do anything right in some of yer eyes even when they listened to people and made changes they can't win. Yes, they made mistakes and would probably admit that but some of ye should cop on.

I'd love to see some of ye try to organise a small event and see the amount of hassle and red tape you come up against. For example, I'm trying to book a room from one of the councils for 2 hours and 3 weeks in, I'm still jumping through hoops to meet all their demands and getting no where. Try doing that for a marathon event and complain to me then.

Rant over

chinguetti wrote: »
    I've volunteered for 5 of the last 7 marathons (ran the other two) and I've never been paid a penny. I think most of the people working on the marathon on Sunday or the Expo didn't get a penny. Yep, it makes money but that money pays for the cups of teas we get, the odd sandwich we eat and also for security/Garda/medics etc. I was told by someone a couple of years ago that it costs €400K to close the roads for the day of the marathon. Without us volunteers (loaded down with the money we were paid:rolleyes:) last weekend, you'd be hard pressed to run an Expo, have a bag drop, provide safe roads for runners, hand you out water on the route and give you a medal.

But you go ahead and say that they're all fleecing it. There's a lot of people on here moaning all week and really folks, some of ye want to grow up. The marathon can't do anything right in some of yer eyes even when they listened to people and made changes they can't win. Yes, they made mistakes and would probably admit that but some of ye should cop on.

I'd love to see some of ye try to organise a small event and see the amount of hassle and red tape you come up against. For example, I'm trying to book a room from one of the councils for 2 hours and 3 weeks in, I'm still jumping through hoops to meet all their demands and getting no where. Try doing that for a marathon event and complain to me then.

Rant over

Your response was very predictable, and inevitable.

I am talking about the people who are managing IT systems and payments. They are not volunteers. It was very obvious who I was referring to, not the folk on the ground.

By the way, I never ever said “fleecing it”, I said people were making good money from it, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Rant over

As someone who organizes races I agree with everything you say above, there is hell of a lot of work involved and is insanely expensive. Outside of volunteers, the medics/garda/council/clean up crew all have to be payed for as well as equipment rental, publishing costs, - the list is endless so I'd say there is not much profit. Add I to that the race series which must be a loss maker. €90 is a fair price for what you are getting.

I think the main issue here with the majority of people is it doesn't appear that they have thought this through and are winging it, with 40 years experience they should be more on the ball. For me the lottery seems to be the fairest method (probably should have a loyalty program like Berlin where people with 10+ Dublin marathons get preferential entry). They back tracked on the lottery due to the back lash and appear to have put in a system that has not been fully tested, might have been better if they put the entire thing on hold until they had a concrete plan.
    Having said that the backlash has been a bit ott! On the whole they do an excellent job and put on a brilliant event year in year out. Have to say the volunteers this year were unreal, every encounter I had with them from number collection, medals, goodie bag, guy picking me off he ground at the finish line, each one called me by name and were really pleasant- this was obviously because of good organizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cougar

Got the email this morning and signed up. Delighted it was easy for me, hopefully everyone will get sorted in the next few days. All of these changes have made sure I'd sign up straight away. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'd expect the number of spaces on the lottery will be severely limited as a result.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Rant over

Completely agree, the work that goes into an event like this is staggering and from what I can see the organisers have done their best to come up with a system that is fair to everyone but all they are getting for it is a lot of complaints to put it mildly.

I've volunteered for the marathon and also help put on another running event in Dublin and I have to say the DCM organisation is first class, top to bottom, from information nights for stewards, expo to how everything works on the day.

The put a lot of money back into the sport (clubs get a donation for providing steward) and they put on one of the best races in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Having said that the backlash has been a bit ott!

A bit?

It's a marathon ffs. You'd swear this was the only marathon in Ireland next year. No one has died yet the posts here and on social media over last week have been disgraceful at times, an absolute joke.

Absolutely a 1st World problem. Boo boo, I can't get in to a marathon next year.

Go run Galway Bay, longford, Cork, Belfast, connemara, limerick, Waterford, Derry.

Go contact MCI and run of the great events they put on all year round.

It's just a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Your response was very predictable, and inevitable.

I am talking about the people who are managing IT systems and payments. They are not volunteers. It was very obvious who I was referring to, not the folk on the ground.

By the way, I never ever said “fleecing it”, I said people were making good money from it, they are.

Nope its not obvious, you refer to 'people' and say they're making money, you don't mention IT systems or payments, you lump everyone in together.

The person dealing with the social media for the marathon I believe isn't paid and if you look at their Facebook page alone, they've been working flat out. That's before you look at Twitter, emails or phonecalls to mention just 3 other methods of getting in touch.

Sorry for begin 'predictable' but if the marathon folk wants to hire a company to deal with an aspect of the marathon, its their company and I'd be fairly sure they have tight budgets to work within. Why would anyone volunteer to deal with the last few days madness, you couldn't be paid enough for the hassle they've got in my mind.

Nope its not obvious, you refer to 'people' and say they're making money, you don't mention IT systems or payments, you lump everyone in together.

The person dealing with the social media for the marathon I believe isn't paid and if you look at their Facebook page alone, they've been working flat out. That's before you look at Twitter, emails or phonecalls to mention just 3 other methods of getting in touch.

Sorry for begin 'predictable' but if the marathon folk wants to hire a company to deal with an aspect of the marathon, its their company and I'd be fairly sure they have tight budgets to work within. Why would anyone volunteer to deal with the last few days madness, you couldn't be paid enough for the hassle they've got in my mind.

Give it a rest will you? You’re great, I get it.

Somebody questioned why offices were shut at 5pm, somebody responded by saying they are volunteers and deserved to go home at a weekend at the right time. I responded by saying those that are shutting up shop on a Friday at 5pm are most likely not volunteers, the fact that they did finish bang on 5 on a Friday most likely means they are hired staff on the clock. Volunteers as you well know by being such a good one, possibly the best the DCM has by your own testimony, would probably keep the lines of communication open for as long as possible.

Contractors are hired for all sorts to do with the DCM, people do make money, administration staff dealing directly with payments, marketing, PR, IT being the most likely. I really didn’t think it was necessary to make it absolutely clear what the differences were between those that are contracted and those that give out bananas and goodie bags.

Can the conversation please end on just how amazing the volunteers are now and how much time they put in? It was never suggested there were no volunteers who do great work for the DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Lads,
    My father got sent a link as he ran it 2016. It came to my email address as I normally do this for him.

Can I take the code for myself or is it strictly limited to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

It looks like that a lot of people found out that they're not the most important people in the world.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement