Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

"unsuccessful" What I was expecting tbh as I have never ran it before so I am taking it that's why im not getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

Stichy wrote: »
    "unsuccessful" What I was expecting tbh as I have never ran it before so I am taking it that's why im not getting in.

No it was a fair lottery it seems. My wife has never ran it and she got in. I have never entered either and I failed to get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Unsuccessful, oh well, fingers crossed for round two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

Clubmates are already offering up their entries on whatsapp. I reckon a huge number just entered for the sake of it, with little interest in actually doing it.
    I'm gonna hold out for now as I'd like to run it under my own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Majority of people in the lotto have never ran. Majority of people would have been included in the guaranteed numbers that were offered spots having run it in the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

It seems to have been fair enough as I have never ran it before and I got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Unsuccessful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No joy either. I've not run it in a few years, 2016 and 2017, so wasn't eligible for the early access. Hopefully the next round. I'm far from marathon fitness so if I don't get in for Feb, I'll refocus my October-ish marathon elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tuff Gong wrote: »
    Clubmates are already offering up their entries on whatsapp. I reckon a huge number just entered for the sake of it, with little interest in actually doing it.
    I'm gonna hold out for now as I'd like to run it under my own name.

This is where they need to enforce the people collecting the race number have their passport, no passport no number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Tuff Gong wrote: »
    Clubmates are already offering up their entries on whatsapp. I reckon a huge number just entered for the sake of it, with little interest in actually doing it..

I hate this sort of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Nope. Unsuccessful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

This is where they need to enforce the people collecting the race number have their passport, no passport no number.

You mean identification as not everyone has a passport or valid one.

You should have identification of the person you’re picking up the number for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ah balls I'm unsuccessfully 😢, But I'll keep training and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Unsuccessful here too by text. I'll wait until March or April and see what other marathon options might suit if I don't get a second round offer.

I think I still have to wait until July or August now to get my 15 euro back which is almost as frustrating.
    Edit. Sorry just read email. I'll get the refund sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Unsuccessful too. First one I wanted to do. :(

Ah well, hopefully I’ll get it in round 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Myself and my girlfriend both first timers entered the lotto. I got in and she didn't. Hopefully she will pick up an entry in the next round. Don't think she would have any interest running under someone else's name (neither would I).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

No luck for me, fingers crossed for the second round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Unsuccessful, along with all the 4 other I know that applied.
    They are adding another 2.5k places even though 5000 entries were not used lat year. seems like more money grabbing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Don't think she would have any interest running under someone else's name (neither would I).

That's the thing that I've always wondered. Do you have to run under the other person's name or is there a way to change the name officially?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's the thing that I've always wondered. Do you have to run under the other person's name or is there a way to change the name officially?

No, it is not permitted by the organisers and if you are found to do so you can be banned from future events.

It can have implications on administration, insurance liability and a host of other issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Last year there was a small transfer window in July. Most people would be running against the rules under someone else's name though. I do know one guy who ran under a female vet's name for a race series event, ran a very good time and was caught out as a result. Ended up getting her banned from future events including the marathon which she'd already entered.

Stark wrote: »
    Last year there was a small transfer window in July. Most people would be running against the rules under someone else's name though.

With that one it was not a P2P transfer/Name Change though it was a refund system by organisers and numbers were reallocated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

No joy for me either. REALLY wanted to do it this year and decided I would enter just before the lottery was announced. Ugh. Fingers crossed for round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

KSU wrote: »
    No, it is not permitted by the organisers and if you are found to do so you can be banned from future events.

It can have implications on administration, insurance liability and a host of other issues.

I know of a fella that showed up at the RDS, collected his number and while he was still at the counter says to the person “oh, is there any chance you could change the name with the number to my own name”.

Took the number off him and told him to f*ck off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

May be a deterrent but won’t do much as just sell the bib post collection.

A more effective small step would be to colour code the sex of the bibs, I know lads who have run under girls names and vice versa

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I know of a fella that showed up at the RDS, collected his number and while he was still at the counter says to the person “oh, is there any chance you could change the name with the number to my own name”.

Took the number off him and told him to f*ck off. :)

They should have a room off to the side at number collections marked "Name changes". People go through the door, they take the number off them, send you out the back door of the RDS. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Surely it is all about limiting the numbers. Who cares who actually runs? If someone wants to transfer their ticket then surely what is the problem?

Unless the numebrs are allocated based on gender/age or category level then what is the issue with giving or even selling the number to someone else?

Yeah they can claim insurance etc, but apart from the bureaucracy what difference does it make it the person is Mick, Joe or Mary?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah they can claim insurance etc, but apart from the bureaucracy what difference does it make it the person is Mick, Joe or Mary?

If Mick, Joe or Mary have a fall, heart attack etc etc and collapse on the course they are not insured to be there and have not signed any sort of waiver agreeing to terms and conditions. Any subsequent claim against the race organizers makes for a very messy affair.

Also if that happens someone's family might get a very worrying (and confusing) phone call as emergency contact. (And yes this has happened before)

So it actually makes a pretty big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Surely it is all about limiting the numbers. Who cares who actually runs? If someone wants to transfer their ticket then surely what is the problem?

Unless the numebrs are allocated based on gender/age or category level then what is the issue with giving or even selling the number to someone else?

You'd get touts selling tickets for huge prices like the all Ireland finals. I think it would be even more of a mess and I missed out on an entry today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Who cares who actually runs? If someone wants to transfer their ticket then surely what is the problem?
    Insurance is probably a factor. I'd say first aiders would have an issue with it too

Advertisement