Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Surely it is all about limiting the numbers. Who cares who actually runs? If someone wants to transfer their ticket then surely what is the problem?

Unless the numebrs are allocated based on gender/age or category level then what is the issue with giving or even selling the number to someone else?

Yeah they can claim insurance etc, but apart from the bureaucracy what difference does it make it the person is Mick, Joe or Mary?

It’s more so you have to give medical history and emergency contact numbers, then consent to a lot of terms. That couldn’t work with just handing numbers over. Even if you tried to do it it would be an administrative nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Dublin Marathon demand exceeds entry limit despite increase to 25,000
    This year’s race, taking place on October 25th, attracted more than 35,000 applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

KSU wrote: »
    If Mick, Joe or Mary have a fall, heart attack etc etc and collapse on the course they are not insured to be there and have not signed any sort of waiver agreeing to terms and conditions. Any subsequent claim against the race organizers makes for a very messy affair.

Also if that happens someone's family might get a very worrying (and confusing) phone call as emergency contact. (And yes this has happened before)

So it actually makes a pretty big difference.

Only because that is the system they have set up. There is nothing to stop there being a way to change the details, right up until the start time.

IN this day and age it pretty fecking easy. With each bib number you have a account, with password etc and that is what you sell. So issues with 1st responders etc as number is looked up all the details are right there.

Again, the organisers main issue is to limit numbers. What do they care if people seel them on, its a lottery so scalping would be a major issue.

It’s more so you have to give medical history and emergency contact numbers, then consent to a lot of terms. That couldn’t work with just handing numbers over. Even if you tried to do it it would be an administrative nightmare.

Surely they have heard of online systems and automated processes. This isn't Mary dealing with forms sent in via postcard!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Surely they have heard of online systems and automated processes. This isn't Mary dealing with forms sent in via postcard!

No it's a volunteer based organisation with limited full time staff that hire an external company to deal with entries.

Terms are laid out clearly when you sign up and have been in place since the races inception.

• Advertisement

Yeah I fully understand that, but they are a major sporting event, taking significant sums from entrants and placing additional burden on them, and it is fairly basic stuff to be able to allow people to transfer. They don't want the hassle, but it seems a shame that such an iconic event should be treated with the organisers ease uppermost in their minds rather that the participants.

And lets be honest, how many transfers are we talking about. For most people, a marathon is something they plan for months in advance.

It seems they were very willing to take on board the massive additional work, and cost of introducing this new system so I am not buying that they simply don't have the time. You could even charge for it, like airlines, but to simply refuse it seems simply petty.

It pretty much is Mary in an office, the admin is brutal.

But say one of the majors with a huge background team of professionals working. Someone sells a bib 10 minutes before the event to some fat lad who woke up and thought he'd give it a shot because he won a race in primary school while in third class, say the seller couldn't be arsed updating the online system as why would he? Then the other fat lad running couldn't be arsed or has a dose of the trots and doesn't get a chance, then runs and gets a heart attack about an hour in, dead on the road, no one has a breeze who he is. Other fella who sold bib knocking back pints in some boozer, doesn't even know yer man anyway and why would he care or know that this lad is dead.

Even without the above, how do you automate the transfer of a bib or a ticket sold like an everyday ticket for a gig or match. Doesn't even happen for major events like olympics and world cup, you can get in with a hard copy ticket even though they say passports will be checked. Have 25000 runners carry ID and have staff checking names a bibs at the start line? That won't work either, you can access a marathon track easily no matter a major or not. People just jump the fences on the road before the start line at Berlin, they have entries but because they don't want to wait a few hours cold before the race which is fair enough.

Give us your exact solution to this and if it works you will make a lot of money.

You have created a load of issues in your post, which you yourself then go on to say already exist. I can hand my bib to the fat lad tomorrow and the chances are no one will spot it. How does refusing to allow transfers deal with that?

You don't have to have changes right up to the event, two months prior cut-off would be loads. Plenty of time to allow a change.

You get an online account, tied to your bib number, with a single use password to initially log on after which you need to change it. If you have no intention of changing the details then no need to even log on.

But if want want to update details, change of address etc, next of kin (these things do change you know) then log on and change it using your private log on details.

In this day and age it really isn't that big a deal. And remember, this is a lottery based system, so the only reason not to allow transfer is simply too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

But if want want to update details, change of address etc, next of kin (these things do change you know) then log on and change it using your private log on details.

And is that system linked in with Athletics Ireland so that changes reflect age grouping prizes? Or indeed the membership database to see if they are a paid up member and should be included in National Championship results? How about BHAA including there membership database and associated results profiles for members?

How does that work for GDPR between these groups and the 3rd party IT team?

There are alot more issues that you make out and yes at the end of the day it might be simply because it is too much hassle, whats wrong with that there are layers upon layers of issues and the team already receive enough abuse when working towards making changes to accommodate participants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The problem is that the license for the number of entrants is based on a certain number of no-shows. If you allow transfers up until the last minute you need to assume that whatever numbers are issued will all (or mostly) show up on the day.

That means that the number of entrants would need to be reduced accordingly and you will still end up with a similar number of runners running on the day.

• Advertisement

You have created a load of issues in your post, which you yourself then go on to say already exist. I can hand my bib to the fat lad tomorrow and the chances are no one will spot it. How does refusing to allow transfers deal with that?

Because it is out of the organisers hands if it has been transferred without their consent. The two parties are liable for themselves and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Because it is out of the organisers hands if it has been transferred without their consent. The two parties are liable for themselves and others.

This is the most salient point in the last two pages.

sdevine89 wrote: »
    This is the most salient point in the last two pages.

Why? What checks do they undertake on the entrants now that couldn't be redone upon transfer?

Does each participant have to be checked by them? Are they details verified against the Garda etc?

No. This event is basically open to the public (though now limited due to numbers). And fine if they want to limit to only accredited athletes, like Boston, but that is not what is happening.

Again, I totally understand why they do it, but simply asking why we shouldn't be asking they they aim for the best rather than just whatever will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

**** the transfers Can I start early cause I didnt do the training

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ger664 wrote: »
    **** the transfers Can I start early cause I didnt do the training

It's not an IMRA race :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 stevob77777

Taking a bit of a tangent here - but what's the situation for Round 2 of the lottery draw?
    I didn't get a spot in Round 1 which there was a 40% of getting one (16,100 going for the 6500 places available).

Does Round 2 just consist of the 9600 unsuccessful people in a draw going for spaces left by whoever has declined their entry from both the initial buy in and Round 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Taking a bit of a tangent here - but what's the situation for Round 2 of the lottery draw?
    I didn't get a spot in Round 1 which there was a 40% of getting one (16,100 going for the 6500 places available).

Does Round 2 just consist of the 9600 unsuccessful people in a draw going for spaces left by whoever has declined their entry from both the initial buy in and Round 1?

Yes.

Process is explained in detail here (has been updated several times, so always good to keep an eye on it):

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 stevob77777

Murph_D wrote: »
    Yes.

Process is explained in detail here (has been updated several times, so always good to keep an eye on it):

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/

Perfect - yeah it's been updated since I last visited that page. Chances pretty slim it seems.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Unsuccessful in the round 1 lottery, but I feel okay because I'll be running a full in the Scottish highlands the week before!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Unsuccessful too, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Keep training people. I wouldn't let the hysteria this has created change my opinion - there will be a huge number of refunds when the "unfit but enthusiastic" group realise just how for 42k is as they huff and puff over a 10k!
    Everyone who wants to get in will, except the eejit who thinks in August "damn I never registered, where's my place?"

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Keep training people. I wouldn't let the hysteria this has created change my opinion - there will be a huge number of refunds when the "unfit but enthusiastic" group realise just how for 42k is as they huff and puff over a 10k!
    Everyone who wants to get in will, except the eejit who thinks in August "damn I never registered, where's my place?"

I hope you are right. And yes I am still training, I ran a half on saturday morning! Either way I will be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

Those who were successful in the 1st round of the lottery should have paid the full fee by 31st January. Those who didn't their place will be allocated to those who are successful in the 2nd round of the lottery and will be informed of this by 7th February. I rang the marathon office, they don't know how many places are in the second round yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

cheekypup wrote: »
    Those who were successful in the 1st round of the lottery should have paid the full fee by 31st January. Those who didn't their place will be allocated to those who are successful in the 2nd round of the lottery and will be informed of this by 7th February. I rang the marathon office, they don't know how many places are in the second round yet.

Can't imagine it's going to be much and I'd say chances of getting an entry on Friday are very slim. The best chance for those like myself still left in the lottery is for early August after the refunds but even then I'd say it's only a 50/50 chance at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Passed up my option of guaranteed entry before Xmas. Figure if I'm still that level of fitness I will run Dublin under someone else's number who's dropping out... Did they say they will make the drop outs available on the lead up or the second lotto is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

BKWDR wrote: »
    Passed up my option of guaranteed entry before Xmas. Figure if I'm still that level of fitness I will run Dublin under someone else's number who's dropping out... Did they say they will make the drop outs available on the lead up or the second lotto is it?

https://twitter.com/dublinmarathon/status/1215603371262062592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

Good luck to all us who were unsuccessful in round one. Lets hope we win the lotto tomorrow :)

Parkrun wrote: »
    Good luck to all us who were unsuccessful in round one. Lets hope we win the lotto tomorrow :)

Not overly optimistic about tomorrow, will be a lot more likely to pick up a place in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Not overly optimistic about tomorrow, will be a lot more likely to pick up a place in August.

I will be returning mine if I get into NY so there's one back that will be reissued.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/dublinmarathon/status/1225548632792948736

Best of luck everyone.

Approx 10k waiting on a spot if the figures from earlier in this thread were accurate

I'm assuming they will do the same as the first round and contact successful applicants first...

Advertisement