Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gives them time to process any cancellations from the July refund window.
    Once they release the lot then in August it will sell every single entry that hasn't been taken & refunds together.

The hope is then that it's only the people who intend turning up are left in the hat.
    I'm sure there will be a couple of waves for that phase as there may be people drawn out in Aug that no longer want to run.

Assuming anything is left after that keeps getting offered to people until everyone has been covered on their lists....?

Ah sound I see,
    is there nay numbers been throw around of how many applicants will miss out on a place,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Ah sound I see,
    is there nay numbers been throw around of how many applicants will miss out on a place,

No stats from them since Christmas regarding 1st Ballot take up or remaining bibs vs waiting list for 2nd Ballot.

I'd guess based on the following:

16,100 applications were made for the remaining 6,500 in November (confirmed by DCM).
    Say approx 5000 successful Rnd 1 ballots took their place in Jan, then you have approx 8500 remaining in the ballot(taking out say 1500 refusals from the 1st ballot who leave process??).
    Those 8500 go into Ballot 2 for 1500 remaining bibs.
    So this could vary up or down by hundreds depending on how serious everyone was in the original ballot.

I'd say the real chances are when you get to 6500 or so remaining in the ballot in July/Aug.
    Then you have any 2nd Ballot leftovers & the cancellations of the 16,000 original paid entrants (past participants).
    That could be anywhere up to 1500/2000 maybe?
    So a 1 in 3 chance by then at worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Still reckon everyone who wants to get in will get in, or most of them anyway.
    Plenty of people registered still probably haven't crossed 10k yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Totally agree. People have just jumped on the lottery wave. When the realization hits them of both the distance and training required a lot of people are going to look for refunds. You only have to look at the thousands of people who didn’t show up last year as a prime example.

I don't think so , I think your under estimating how lazy people are ,
    There will be thousands of no shows on the day , people who pay and just don't bother turning up , They probably don't even realise they can get there money back ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Haven't had anything come in yet for round 2 - anyone else still waiting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Didn't get in either. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Traveling Matt

deconduo wrote: »
    Haven't had anything come in yet for round 2 - anyone else still waiting?

I'd not heard by nearly 5 so I emailed. Apparently I'd unsubscribed from Event Master at some stage so my Unsuccessful email bounced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

chrislad wrote: »
    Same as, no go this year.

Torn now - do I start training in June anyway for the hope of August or do I just go elsewhere? Any good races on around that time?

Just registered for Budapest instead. With the cost of Dublin, this will likely work out cheaper anyway.

Maybe next year, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

No stats from them since Christmas regarding 1st Ballot take up or remaining bibs vs waiting list for 2nd Ballot.

I'd guess based on the following:

16,100 applications were made for the remaining 6,500 in November (confirmed by DCM).
    Say approx 5000 successful Rnd 1 ballots took their place in Jan, then you have approx 8500 remaining in the ballot(taking out say 1500 refusals from the 1st ballot who leave process??).
    Those 8500 go into Ballot 2 for 1500 remaining bibs.
    So this could vary up or down by hundreds depending on how serious everyone was in the original ballot.

I'd say the real chances are when you get to 6500 or so remaining in the ballot in July/Aug.
    Then you have any 2nd Ballot leftovers & the cancellations of the 16,000 original paid entrants (past participants).
    That could be anywhere up to 1500/2000 maybe?
    So a 1 in 3 chance by then at worst.

Seems more complicated than the PR-STV system!

There were something like 5000 people in 2019 who had entries and didn't run, so more than likely anyone who really does want an entry will get one.

Hopefully this year they properly advertise the return window in July/August! I got one email last year while on my summer holidays, which of course I missed. Called them later and was told it was too late for a refund. So I sold my number on, at cost, as I couldn't run due to injury. Sure, that's "against the rules", but I was never going to set any records. Don't see why they were so restrictive about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

800 spots in 2nd round I think I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Disappointed not to get it in this round but sure we won't give up hope just yet. Any ideas for a good back up marathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Frankfurt if you can travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Amsterdam and Lisbon both in October

Galway Bay too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

event wrote: »
    Amsterdam and Lisbon both in October

Galway Bay too

My wife did the Galway Bay a few years ago, she said the laps really cracked her mentally.

Oh I didn't know there was laps. Feck that so

Miklos wrote: »
    My wife did the Galway Bay a few years ago, she said the laps really cracked her mentally.

Ist just two laps ? One full lap then a half a lap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Ist just two laps ? One full lap then a half a lap ?

2 small laps followed by 4 full laps

hermano wrote: »
    2 small laps followed by 4 full laps
    Oh god that would be tuff mentally ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I reckon I'd find it very tough to do laps in a marathon. I hate doing laps when training. Always try to do routes that a single laps.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I reckon I'd find it very tough to do laps in a marathon. I hate doing laps when training. Always try to do routes that a single laps.

I'd be the same
    I used to run the coast road from Clontarf to Howth and it annoyed me coming back the way I'd gone out ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BaZmO* wrote: »

Not really, in my experience.

I absolutely hate running laps in training. I avoid it whenever possible, it completely does my head in.

In races I don't mind the slightest. In fact, it makes for a much more social experience because there tend to be more people near you at all times and the buzz at the start/finish line will always be great and something to look forward to. Also, when you're focused on racing you don't notice the fact that you're running laps half as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I used to hate doing loops in training now its my preferred way to do a session. Just switch on and focus on the job in hand. I've only done a few races where it was loops (the longest was 10km) I didn't mind it or really notice too much. Maybe racing a marathon where the pace is slower you'd noticed it more, I don't know... Doing loops for easy runs is hard going

Better not sign up for the Donadea 50km so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Just got this email

Many thanks for your interest in this years KBC Dublin Marathon.

As you may be aware we had over 35,000 applicants for the 25,000 available places.

You have not received a place in Round 1 or 2 of the Lottery process. We will now proceed and issue the refund of your initial €15.

In July, we will offer a refund option to all who have entered. Round 3 offers will then issue on 31st July. We will hold your details for this offering.

Anyone left in the lottery at the end of Round 3 will be offered a priority code to enter the 2021 KBC Dublin Marathon when the entry opens in November.

Regards and thanks for your patience,

KBC Dublin Marathon Team

Not sure how i feel about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 stevob77777

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Just got this email

Many thanks for your interest in this years KBC Dublin Marathon.

As you may be aware we had over 35,000 applicants for the 25,000 available places.

You have not received a place in Round 1 or 2 of the Lottery process. We will now proceed and issue the refund of your initial €15.

In July, we will offer a refund option to all who have entered. Round 3 offers will then issue on 31st July. We will hold your details for this offering.

Anyone left in the lottery at the end of Round 3 will be offered a priority code to enter the 2021 KBC Dublin Marathon when the entry opens in November.

Regards and thanks for your patience,

KBC Dublin Marathon Team

Not sure how i feel about that...

I think it's a great idea. It's good to know that if I was unlucky in the next round I'll have next year guaranteed...imagine going through the whole process again next year and still not get in just down to a case of bad luck.
    Interesting to see what happens to those that have or will pull out due to injury, are they also automatically offered a place next year or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Just got the same. I’d be very interested to know will this lottery farce be used next year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I think it's a great idea. It's good to know that if I was unlucky in the next round I'll have next year guaranteed...imagine going through the whole process again next year and still not get in just down to a case of bad luck.
    Interesting to see what happens to those that have or will pull out due to injury, are they also automatically offered a place next year or not.

That's the way it should be.

Imagine if they retained the current system. The slots available in the lottery would decrease each year as the numbers of past participants wanting a place would increase. It would get to a point that the marathon would only be available to past participants. Going beyond that, the numbers of places available would be less than the previous participants and the whole lottery system would start all over again. Anyone new wanting to do the race would never get a slot.

I had assumed that from next year on it is a simple lottery for everyone. Trying to please everyone still resulted in loads of moaning.

• Advertisement

gfa, priority, elites, charity, travel packages and lottery. If Ryanair had this many queues there'll be uproar

Advertisement