Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

SO for next year does it mean:

Priority codes for the last years runners
    Priority codes for 2019 unsuccessful runner
    Places kept aside for best for age through AI
    Lottery R1
    Lottery R2
    Lottery R3

Be tough to get a spot considering how few got places through lottery this year and now there's another group before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Guill wrote: »
    SO for next year does it mean:

Priority codes for the last years runners
    Priority codes for 2019 unsuccessful runner
    Places kept aside for best for age through AI
    Lottery R1
    Lottery R2
    Lottery R3

Be tough to get a spot considering how few got places through lottery this year and now there's another group before that.

That's my thinking will they actually have the space to give everyone who misses out places ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

That's my thinking will they actually have the space to give everyone who misses out places ?

Maybe that's the plan, they always said this year was about gauging interest to see if they could increase numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see it increase to 30,000 next year and the start finish area moved to the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 stevob77777

They'll probably alter it slightly so instead of giving priority codes to people who ran the last 3 years like they did, they'll just give priority codes for the people who ran the last 2 years or who knows maybe just the year before. As was mentioned, probably increase the amount of participants too so there should be a good deal of availability for newcomers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The were clearly making it up as they went along with the entry system changing every other day for the 2020 event. Seems they want to keep the confusion going into future years, and are now just going to make things even more difficult for themselves. Next year you now get everyone entering the lottery just on the basis of getting an entry for the following year and the 2022 event will be sold out effectively from people entering the lottery for the 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Casey78 wrote: »
    Maybe that's the plan, they always said this year was about gauging interest to see if they could increase numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see it increase to 30,000 next year and the start finish area moved to the Phoenix Park.

Can't see it moving to the Phoenix park, the race would lose the feeling it has now. Nothing better than starting in the city and finishing in the crowds in the city centre.

Also there is a lot of other stuff on in the park that weekend, so a 6 hour closure won't happen and no public transport there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Can't see it moving to the Phoenix park, the race would lose the feeling it has now. Nothing better than starting in the city and finishing in the crowds in the city centre.

Also there is a lot of other stuff on in the park that weekend, so a 6 hour closure won't happen and no public transport there.

Would hate to have start/finish in Phoenix Park. What a tedious place it would be to start/finish. Nothing like finishing in town, the noise of the streets and hopping in to a bar for a nice post-race pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

I could just imagine the congestion of 25000 jelly legged runners clogging up heuston station bus, train and luas for hours after a marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Could they increase the number of waves or time between them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For the run itself starting would definitely be better from the Phoenix park, the finish needs to be in the centre though and near pubs, transport links and things that might have entertained/ fed support crews for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

How come they can do it in London? (Shut the city down) and we cant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I got my entry in the lottery but all you do is pay and thats it.

I dont recall being asked what the expected time will be etc, I am guessing that will be done at a later date or they wont just throw all the lottery winners in one pen?

TheW1zard wrote: »

I could only imagine the sea of complaints and letters to the local TD if they extended the road closures for the marathon and now granny NIMBY cant use her normal route for her Sunday drive.

I think the DCM are just trying to see how far they can push their current setup because extending the closures will get messy considering how many other public events have trouble in Dublin.

I could only imagine the sea of complaints and letters to the local TD if they extended the road closures for the marathon and now granny NIMBY cant use her normal route for her Sunday drive.

I think the DCM are just trying to see how far they can push their current setup because extending the closures will get messy considering how many other public events have trouble in Dublin.

I hear ya. How do the Londoners get past the red tape I wonder:confused:

You'd be surprised how oblivious people wandering around 50 meters from the course and finish line are that anything is even happening on the next road over. London does have a significant amount more transport infrastructure, and limited private cars driving through, that unless its going directly past the road you live on you'll probably be unaware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The disruption in Dublin and London are similar, London isn't shut down either, and they have the Tube.

robinph wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how oblivious people wandering around 50 meters from the course and finish line are that anything is even happening on the next road over. London does have a significant amount more transport infrastructure, and limited private cars driving through, that unless its going directly past the road you live on you'll probably be unaware.

Same could be said for Dublin. A mass start up the south quays?? Didnt it used to start there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

You’ve got to have the council behind it which I doubt they really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

kilns wrote: »
    I got my entry in the lottery but all you do is pay and thats it.

I dont recall being asked what the expected time will be etc, I am guessing that will be done at a later date or they wont just throw all the lottery winners in one pen?

We had to give that when entering the lotto if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

They can do it because they charge over £800 to charities per entry which account for large portion of places (and ever growing) and receive in excess of £3m in sponsorship from Virgin

Proportionally as well I believe it’s cheaper to close roads in UK vs Dublin

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    For the run itself starting would definitely be better from the Phoenix park, the finish needs to be in the centre though and near pubs, transport links and things that might have entertained/ fed support crews for a few hours.

Its very hard to get public transport early on a Sunday morning, so Phoenix Park would not work for the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Plus London is huge! So probably not comparable in that sense.

Interesting that the Start/Finish lines are so far apart in London. How do they manage bag drops?

BaZmO* wrote: »

Interesting that the Start/Finish lines are so far apart in London. How do they manage bag drops?

Maybe its like RnR did a few yeears ago when it started on the Quays and finished in phoenix park and the Bag and Tag is actually a few trucks that move to the finish while the race is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Maybe its like RnR did a few yeears ago when it started on the Quays and finished in phoenix park and the Bag and Tag is actually a few trucks that move to the finish while the race is happening.

Yeah I thought it might be something like that alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

If moving to the Park they would have to create a proper race village at the finish in order to facilitate the following.
    - Ambulance & transport plan for entry/exit
    - Marquee/Shelter for finish in cases of medical assistance
    - Large enough are to manage baggage sorting and reclaim - could use an post or similar fleet rental and just stack and maintain bags in situ similar to NY marathon do with UPS.
    - Shuttle bus service - bringing families etc to finish area and runners back to city area.

Fair bit of extra cost there but extra entries would cover this I'm sure.
    All depends on how many actually finish the race this year though....

I'd imagine it could work like this
    - Finish line - on Chesterfield Ave just after the Aras roundabout between Aras and Castleknock gate.
    - Ambulance - Furze Rd
    - Shuttle buses - Visitors Center car park - using North Rd and Ashtown Gate / NCR

Its very hard to get public transport early on a Sunday morning, so Phoenix Park would not work for the start.

Yes, but easier to arrange a bunch of special buses from A to B for 8am on a Sunday than to do the same from B to everywhere for the entire afternoon. The start is easier to manage as everyone is going the same direction at the same time that the organisers have control over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BaZmO* wrote: »

Bunch of trucks marked with number ranges. Drop your bag and they are transported to the finish. I've done London twice and haven't had any issues.

If moving to the Park they would have to create a proper race village at the finish in order to facilitate the following.
    - Ambulance & transport plan for entry/exit
    - Marquee/Shelter for finish in cases of medical assistance
    - Large enough are to manage baggage sorting and reclaim - could use an post or similar fleet rental and just stack and maintain bags in situ similar to NY marathon do with UPS.
    - Shuttle bus service - bringing families etc to finish area and runners back to city area.

Fair bit of extra cost there but extra entries would cover this I'm sure.
    All depends on how many actually finish the race this year though....

I'd imagine it could work like this
    - Finish line - on Chesterfield Ave just after the Aras roundabout between Aras and Castleknock gate.
    - Ambulance - Furze Rd
    - Shuttle buses - Visitors Center car park - using North Rd and Ashtown Gate / NCR

Won 't be able to block any of the major entries into the park. There is other users of the park and the zoo makes good money on a bank holiday Monday.

Best they could do is bring u up furze rd or acres rd and finish up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paul61

When it was establishing itself as a fixture in London in the 1980s, Sunday traffic was a lot less than now. Londoners have been able to get used to it since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I see the Race Director wants help with a survey about volunteering at various races, parkrun, and DCM.

Now, several people have been looking for my help with surveys lately. So even though I had capacity to complete all of the surveys, no problem, I instead entered Jim's name into a lottery system.  No special provision to allow entry for previous volunteers was made.  Jim wasn't successful.

Advertisement