Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire - unfair damage claim

• 29-10-2019 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was recently at home in Cork for a few days, and needed to have a car, so I hired one from a company called Easirent at Cork Airport.

The car was needed for 2 important but short trips, and for the majority of the five day hire, was parked in a private yard without moving.

On dropping the car back to the rental agency, during the inspection, the proceeded to point out 2 miniscule dents on the top of boot door where it meets the roof.

I am 100% sure that I did not cause the damage, but they are saying without proof, they have to charge me, so I was stung for €315.00 which I paid on credit card up front, having no way to dispute it. (Foolishly I didn't take pictures of the car on pickup as I normally do, as it was lashing with rain)

I took out separate Collision Damage Waiver insurance for the duration, but I am unsure as to whether the insurer will pay out for something that I cannot prove is not my fault.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Looking at reviews of Easirent, they seem to be total scammers (they were fulfilling the rental contract for Vehicle Rent, so I had no idea they were involved until I landed at the airport). People have been gouged with these trumped up damages left and right.

Do I have any recourse here?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unless you took out excess insurance then there's not much you can do. If you pick up a hire car in the rain or at night then once it's dry/daytime you need to inspect it and send pictures of any issues to the rental company.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Thanks Del, yeah I took out Excess insurance, so I think I'd only be paying €50 excess, but my question was more, will the insurer pay out if it's my word against the rental agency's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes. That’s what it’s for.

Mackleton wrote: »
    Thanks Del, yeah I took out Excess insurance, so I think I'd only be paying €50 excess, but my question was more, will the insurer pay out if it's my word against the rental agency's?

The insurance will cover the damage that's why you took it out.

Fighting if you caused the damage is a different issue and nothing to do with the insurance company. If you didn't have insurance then you'd have to try to fight the damage, but as you never pointed it out on collection or shortly after you are liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It seems to be very commonplace in car hire world .. is it just an offshoot of the compo world generally . Seems like you’d want to take about 50 to 60 pictures of the car when you land to try prevent the car hire crowd trying to catch you on some minor scratch you didn’t spot on arrival.Think they access people hiring the car , if you take it in good faith without doing too much looking they try do you on your return whereas if you examine the car closely they don’t try it on .

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It seems to be very commonplace in car hire world .. is it just an offshoot of the compo world generally . Seems like you’d want to take about 50 to 60 pictures of the car when you land to try prevent the car hire crowd trying to catch you on some minor scratch you didn’t spot on arrival.Think they access people hiring the car , if you take it in good faith without doing too much looking they try do you on your return whereas if you examine the car closely they don’t try it on .

It's more that some companies have tighter definitions of damage. I've hired from the big names and some not so big names. The big companies allow a bit of damage without issues, while the smaller companies do very detailed checks when you drop the car back and notice the smallest mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's more that some companies have tighter definitions of damage. I've hired from the big names and some not so big names. The big companies allow a bit of damage without issues, while the smaller companies do very detailed checks when you drop the car back and notice the smallest mark.

Yeah I think its a case of if the price is very good they must be making their money some other way such as stinging you for every bit of damage.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are fully aware of the damage on a particular car before renting it out but don't mention it and know they will be able to charge you on return (who knows they may even get bonuses for it).
    They could end up making thousands from a small little dent that they repeatably charge different customers for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Del2005 wrote: »

It is very location specific for the same company. Even found differences in Frankfurt for the same company but different terminal returns. One would be anal about checking complete with a torch and the other terminal gave it not much more than a walk around. I’m beginning to think it may depend on the manager on that site and their interpretation of damage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement