Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security

Options
  • 29-10-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm looking for advice on a home CCTV system. Below is the basic bones of what I need.

X1 (Possibly 2) Fixed camera on 24/7
    X1 Camera doesn't need to be on constantly

For where I live wireless with cloud based recording would be better but I am open to suggestions. I was looking at the Arlo Pro 2 but anything right now would be of help. Any help? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The Arlo only records when there’s motion, which is a good thing as it eats batteries. You can, however, log in and check the camera at any point.

Anker have a wireless camera where the batteries last approx 2 years, that might be a better option for you. Even Amazon have a wireless camera that takes 2xaa batteries and they last a long time.

Do you need 24/7 recording, or would motion detection be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

The Arlo 2 onward can record 24 / 7 if you plug it in. In my case the Arlo doesn't have the range I would want for recording so has to record 24 / 7. Looks like Ill be going with either the Arlo 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’d have a look at their support forum, lots of outages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Had a Arlo camera system before, found it awful
    The app was buggy and the motion sensor sucked as people would be gone by the time it activated, mind you that was 2 years back but I don't think I'd touch them again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you can run power to the location of the cameras, then powered cameras are better then battery ones like Arlo.

Nest, Logitech Circle, Yi Cameras, are just some of many options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Have a look at Reolink as well. Battery, Solar and POE options. Internal SD card and remote viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

I would definitely prefer Arlo. Because, it meets all the features you want and the company produces really quality products.

Advertisement