Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reference problem

• 29-10-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been offered a good IT job and have a good reference from my current employer, but my last employer has closed the business and all I have is a written reference from them from 2017. I can't find anyone from my previous job to use as an alternative reference and am sort of stuck.

I haven't actually given the new job the references yet, has anyone any ideas (besides faking a reference, obviously)? It's important that I get this job. I was thinking of offering to work for free for a few weeks to prove my bona fides or is that a looney idea?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hi all,

I've been offered a good IT job and have a good reference from my current employer, but my last employer has closed the business and all I have is a written reference from them from 2017. I can't find anyone from my previous job to use as an alternative reference and am sort of stuck.

I haven't actually given the new job the references yet, has anyone any ideas (besides faking a reference, obviously)? It's important that I get this job. I was thinking of offering to work for free for a few weeks to prove my bona fides or is that a looney idea?

Thanks all!

Have you tried telling your new employer this, you could also try track down your previous line manager (from closed company) in order to get a reference from him maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Well if the company closed in 2017 and someone wrote you a good reference at that time then what more is there to add after that time? The company no longer existed sure!

Just give it to them if they ask and say nothing more. If they want an update then they will ask for it. And you can only do what you can do. If you cannot get in touch with anyone from the previous company then what can you do about it.

Don't offer to work for free as they might be inlicined to think you a pushover and get up on your back. That is not a good quality either. A company wants strong people who can stand up for themselves, not sycophants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

duffman13 wrote: »
    Have you tried telling your new employer this, you could also try track down your previous line manager (from closed company) in order to get a reference from him maybe?

I have, no success though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Working for free is a looney idea.

Give them another reference. If they ask for that employer specifically, give them what you have and explain the business has gone bust and you don’t have any updated contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I have, no success though.

Just hand in the references.

I used references from my old companies which no longer existed without issues. When HR ask then just tell them the company closed. the Reference is most likely dated to when it did exist.

If they ask then just say the closed down . The reference will still be valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was thinking of offering to work for free for a few weeks to prove my bona fides or is that a looney idea?

It's looney, don't do it.

Written references aren't worth the toilet paper they're scrawled on.

Find a 2nd person from your current job, or someone from a previous job, ie prior to the 2017 closure.

Advertisement