Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10mm Open Graded v Close Graded Tar

• 29-10-2019 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a driveway around the house of 550m2. I got a tar company to quote me for 65mm compacted single layer of 10mm tar. He said that in one area there looks to be no fall to the gullies andnif he couldnt get a fall he would use open graded tar and this let's the water through the surface and into the ground.

I've never really heard of open graded tar before. I've seen the finished product in a nearby car park and it looks good. But is there any down fall to using this over normal tar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

What did you actually get a quote for? Was it an sma mix or AC mix.
    Either way one of the things you want a bitumen surface to do is seal to reduce water ingress as much as possible.
    There is a porous asphalt available but I seriously doubt that's what's being proposed. It would require a binder course underneath.
    For me, I'd spend the money on regrading to get falls or install some new drainage. For a driveway, 40mm ac20 binder and 40mm sma10 surf is ideal. If tight on budget and the substrate is solid then 50-60 of sma might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭slystallone

Do different grades of tar exist for driveways? I bought a house recently and it is a nightmare for moss. To my untrained eye I will call the driveway very pitted in my opinion compared to others I've seen and that's causing the moss problem. I'm not sure is it overly pitted due to how it was done in the first place or maybe tarred driveways just get that way over time ( although this is max ten years old). I had thought tarred driveways are a lifetime type of job? Now of course it's something I keep on eye on during my day to day looking at different driveways I pass and again to my untrained eye some look smoother than others? Is this the case?

Advertisement