Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Cam install

Options
  • 29-10-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just bought two Nest Cams and I'm trying to work out the best way to run power to them.

I was going to drill a hole out from an upstairs bedroom and run the cable back in to an internal socket, is this the best option?

I also have an outside light close to where I want to install each of the lights, can I run something off those to power the cameras?

Thanks,

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

are these Camera POE? if so a Cat 6 will work for you back to a Switch inside in attic?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It would be best to supply them from an unstitched spur outlet and fuse at 2A if connected to a socket circuit. Try to ensure that the outside lights do not shine into the camera lens. Alternatively it may be possible to supply them from a lighting circuit.

Great cameras BTW.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tech wrote: »
    are these Camera POE? if so a Cat 6 will work for you back to a Switch inside in attic?

They are not POE. They require a 230V supply and connect to the WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

2011 wrote: »
    It would be best to supply them from an unstitched spur outlet and fuse at 2A if connected to a socket circuit. Try to ensure that the outside lights do not shine into the camera lens. Alternatively it may be possible to supply them from a lighting circuit.

Great cameras BTW.

Cheers 2011, I might get a mate whose an electrician to have a look at the unswitched spur option for me.

I was going to put them a bit away from the lights or over them.

I need to put an AP close to the one at the back of the house too as the WiFi signal out there is very weak.

You could go for multiple routers that form a mesh network providing comprehensive coverage such as Google WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

2011 wrote: »
    You could go for multiple routers that form a mesh network providing comprehensive coverage such as Google WiFi.

Cheers 2011, I think I'll go that route alright. I'll be keeping an eye open for Black Friday deals on Google wifi.

Cheers 2011, I think I'll go that route alright. I'll be keeping an eye open for Black Friday deals on Google wifi.

My thoughts exactly!!! Google WiFi has lots of other advantages too.

Advertisement