Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unqualified teachers

• 29-10-2019 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Just looking for some information/advice regarding unqualified teachers positions. I read online that there is a shortage of teachers and there is a growing demand for subs and unqualified teachers.

I'v been told that I need to obtain a TC reg number but on the website it states that I must be qualified to register.

I'm currently working in social care but looking to change career and thought it would be a great start to look into unqualified subbing before taking the leap back to college.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Shauna

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No such thing as an unqualified teacher , we don’t have “ unqualified doctors “ or nurses etc .The Teaching Council set part of its mission
    to have only qualified people working in schools .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

No such thing as an unqualified teacher , we don’t have “ unqualified doctors “ or nurses etc .The Teaching Council set part of its mission
    to have only qualified people working in schools .

Ah no. That's not true unfortunately.

Have a look at route 3 registration on the teaching council website.

Anyone who has a degree can get a teaching council number without a teaching qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There should be no such thing as an unqualified teacher, but bizarrely the Teaching Council have chosen to legitimise all sorts of people as teachers by allowing them to register with zero teaching qualifications of any kind. If you have a degree you will be able to register under Further Education - you will be told you have 3 years to complete a relevant teaching qualification. This will allow you to work in primary and post primary at the marginally lower unqualified hourly rate. If you can get vetted then you can work with no registration at all for 5 days in a row, but must miss the next working day before you could be paid again. You will get subbing work in Dublin.

The teaching council goes against the very reason it was set up which was to ensure that all people teaching in our schools are qualified teachers.

But under route 3 you just need a degree in any field and you are given 3 years to get a teaching qualification. This means you will have a teaching council number and can sub in the schools for 3 years unqualified at the unqualified rate and in doing so circumvent the 5 day oireachtas rule for unqualified subs.

You could not make it up. Its like an episode of father Ted.

Instead of actually addressing the teaching shortage, they just let unqualified people sub. More money in subs for the teaching council and a helpful way for people to work while doing the hibernia.

What other professional body operates in this way??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The only route for us to take on an unqualified teacher is to have a record of trying to find a qualified one and failing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you want to go into teaching, train and qualify as a teacher. We don't need more unqualified teachers. It's bad enough how many qualified teachers we have who are not qualified in the subject they're teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

kala85 wrote: »
    The teaching council goes against the very reason it was set up which was to ensure that all people teaching in our schools are qualified teachers.

But under route 3 you just need a degree in any field and you are given 3 years to get a teaching qualification. This means you will have a teaching council number and can sub in the schools for 3 years unqualified at the unqualified rate and in doing so circumvent the 5 day oireachtas rule for unqualified subs.

You could not make it up. Its like an episode of father Ted.

Instead of actually addressing the teaching shortage, they just let unqualified people sub. More money in subs for the teaching council and a helpful way for people to work while doing the hibernia.

What other professional body operates in this way??

Am a fully qualified post primary teacher and with my children getting bigger have gone back subbing. Would not dream of taking subbing in a primary school as feel I wouldn’t be qualified ( and am not qualified) to work with primary school children. Very wrong that people with zero teaching qualifications could be subbing with primary kids and secondary kids

Blaizes wrote: »
    Am a fully qualified post primary teacher and with my children getting bigger have gone back subbing. Would not dream of taking subbing in a primary school as feel I wouldn’t be qualified ( and am not qualified) to work with primary school children. Very wrong that people with zero teaching qualifications could be subbing with primary kids and secondary kids

You would be grand in primary and primary subs are hard to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Well I’d be better than an unqualified sub but I still wouldn’t do it. Can’t believe the brass neck of people who do though.System is very messed up they need to sort it and only let people with teaching qualifications into schools.

Blaizes wrote: »
    Well I’d be better than an unqualified sub but I still wouldn’t do it. Can’t believe the brass neck of people who do though.System is very messed up they need to sort it and only let people with teaching qualifications into schools.

Makes a joke of the whole teaching council as a professional body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Makes a joke of the whole teaching council as a professional body.

Indeed. Also, ever notice how teachers on forums like this and others on Facebook who are trying to leave teaching will always ask where else could they apply their degree? Or if people could recommend a suitable or useful course that would lead to better job prospects? Never ask if they could walk into a job in social care or medicine or law and expect to get paid without the relevant qualifications. Because that would be ridiculous of course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Really?How do you mean "grand?" The Op says they aren't qualified to work in primary and they are right. It's not about standing in front of the children and giving out photocopies. Would you be able to teach a child to actually read?Differentiate for the wide range of abilities and SEN in a primary class? Do Aistear? I have Irish to Hons. degree level but certainly wouldn't "be grand" teaching Irish in secondary, because I'm not a qualified secondary teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

So I am thinking of doing a PME although I am worried I am a little old but it's been on my mind now for 5 years so think I have to go for it. It sounds like the best way for me to go is to get a TC number via Route 3 and try to get some subbing work in the next 5 months or so to see if I really want to do it or not. Where is the best place to look for subbing work? Is it educationsposts.ie once I have a number? My primary degree and masters are in Modern Languages.

Am I likely to get many hours as a qualified teacher with MFL?

TIA

Advertisement