Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoverboard minefield...

Options
  • 29-10-2019 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hello all!

I'm currently navigating my way through what seems like an endless minefield of hoverboard brands/types/models etc trying in vain find some information on what are good and what are not good.. I want to get my daughter one for christmas and I'm lost in decision as to which one I should get.. Hoping for some enlightenment on here from people in the know of this area.. Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Hi, I am in the same situation. Did you buy anything yet or get good info? I Can't find any stores that stock them so you can give them ago. Found this place in Naas, Techspec, looks like selling from a house. I havent contacted them yet, but I am heading to Dublin the next few weeks so might give them a shout.
    I am looking at the 8.5inch hummer version....
    As you said, there is a minefield of info

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭247music

Didnt buy anything yet.. I've narrowed it down to Either bluefin hoverboards or Rolab hoverboards. Both are located in the UK. Just waiting on black friday prices to kick in.

For the board I want it's over €500.... Is there any bricks and morter shops that sell the rough terrain boards in ireland?

Just found that Halfords have a version of them. Some good reviews on amazon US so might go with that. At least there will be a shop you can go back to if there is an issue. Anyone have any experience of this hoverboard?
    Hover-1 Nomad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Did you go for the Halford board after?? Argos have some as well I might chance

• Advertisement

I haven't yet.... I want to see the board first, but gmthey not available in galway. Think they have them on Limerick so might take a spin.
    Good selection in argos. 2 would suit me... The 10inch wheels is very dear, the 8 inch is a bit girlie...... I need it for a boy.....

I went for a bluefin classic 6.5"
    Highly recommended brand and they have the black version down to €179 until midnight. Normally €259. I know a few people that have these and they have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’m glad I’m not alone! I too am looking for a hoverboard for my boy for Xmas! Most of the reviews I find are US based. Will look at the bluefin ones!

Ordered the bluefin on Sunday, might be here tomorrow.

Glebee wrote: »
    Ordered the bluefin on Sunday, might be here tomorrow.

Bluefin arrived this morning. Seems like a decent sturdy piece of kit with a bit of weight behind it. Have not tried it out and wont either until santa delivers..

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Bluefin arrived this morning. Seems like a decent sturdy piece of kit with a bit of weight behind it. Have not tried it out and wont either until santa delivers..

Did you also get te 6.5” classic? Is the hoverkart worth the extra I wonder?

jlm29 wrote: »
    Did you also get te 6.5” classic? Is the hoverkart worth the extra I wonder?

Yes the classic, no idea about the hovercart attachment. Did not look into it.

Ordered the hover - 1 Nomad from Halfords. 8.5" rugged wheels. Ordered on Tuesday and was in store for collect yesterday. Didn't take it out of the box yet, but Santa has to test all toys before delivery to make sure they work properly for the kids... 😉 Feels heavy at least so fingers crossed.
    There is a years garentee and you have a store to bring it back to so piece of mind... The price is down to €265 from €299 for black friday

So, took out the hoverboard this eve to have a look. It's a nice looking piece of kit. Quite big and fairly heavy so I think it will be fairly robust. Battery looks to be fully charged so hopefully all goes well Christmas morning......fingers crossed.

Hoverboard has gone down very well here! Couldn’t get over the weight of it when the box arrived. I ended up buying the hoverkart as an extra surprise, and its got a lot of miles on the clock already! The only downside is that because he has the kart, he hasn’t tried that hard to master the actual board. I haven’t braved it myself yet either!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭deremol

Hi,

Looking to buy a hoverboard as a birthday present shortly, would anyone have any recommendations? I have looked at Bluefin, buy they are sold out for the 6.5 inch models.

Thanks,

Deremol..

Hi, The Hover-1 nomad my son got is a good one. He is very happy with it. Only issue he has with it was when he went too fast the board starts to beep, as in warning you and he didnt know what it was, and the stability went and he found it hard to control for a moment so if the board beeps you have to slow down.
    I would recommend this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Hi does anyone recommend anyone other than Bluefin as I have just waited 4 weeks for a delivery and now DPD are returning to sender due to insufficient info, I need one in a hurry so cannot wait for DPD to return the board to Bluefin then hope it comes back to me again as I am finding anything with DPD a disaster right now. I had ordered one of their 6.5" boards.

Can't you contact DPD and give them the missing information?

Amazon have a red or white of the bluefin 6.5" in stock for 229 pounds if that's any use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

247music wrote: »
    Can't you contact DPD and give them the missing information?

Amazon have a red or white of the bluefin 6.5" in stock for 229 pounds if that's any use to you?

DPD unfortunately don't do simplicity such as updating or giving the correct info, not taking calls or responding to mails. Cheers on the Amazon tip.

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote:
    DPD unfortunately don't do simplicity such as updating or giving the correct info, not taking calls or responding to mails. Cheers on the Amazon tip.

I suppose given the way things are at the moment normal rules don't apply.. it's hard to get any company on the phone. Just so you know tho, Amazon's delivery time has increased quite a bit also as I'd imagine they are snowed under. Week to week and 1/2 for may last few orders.. but at least it will arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought one from eBay yesterday as I had a 10% off code, and it was free delivery to NI as well.
    £134.99

I will update when I get it.

For some reason Boards isn't allowing me to insert link, but if anyone is interest its ebay item 382615301419

Advertisement