Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whingy Returning Emigrants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Jaysus. If she is already emotional and brittle I hope she doesn't catch sight of this thread.

Tip her right over the edge.

She'll bounce back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Living in London for ten years, was home last week, home again in a month and home for Christmas again. Love it.

Spent the first two evenings in Cork listening to live music, having a sing song in the pub and drinking stout. Then two days in Co Waterford visiting the beach with the dogs, up to Ardmore to see the heritage site, drove along the River Blackwater and dinner with the family.

Ireland is an absolutely magical place, no f*cking chance I’d get to do half of that from here; living in a rented gaff now with loads of people. A trip to the sea is planned a month in advance and takes the whole day and it’s often crap. Half an hour drive at home and I’d Whiting Bay to myself full of rare birds and the dog running around.

Obviously that was a long weekend home and Cork is dreary as f*ck at times with bullsh*t aplenty regards doctor’s appointments etc but the idea people in Ireland are parochial idiots is stupid and wrong. Some of the most ignorant and insufferable people I’ve met have been in London.

Ireland is a grand place, if she can’t stop crying every day she should f*ck off for a while more.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Living in England 5 years. Love the place. Its vibrant,seaside towns are proper towns. The Cotswolds and Devon ,Cornwall are as pretty as anything in Ireland. I love visiting Ireland but I like the acceptance of right wing views in the UK. I vote Tory...the sporting options are huge..London is basically the worlds capital and iv lived in New York and London is better.
    Cant beat Clare or West Cork for a weekend..but the nosey, smug Lefties are what turns my stomach in Ireland. Any country that votes Ming, Claire Byrne and the guy from Wexford has serious issues..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

been a blow in in the north west for 20 + years. couldn't imagine moving back to city. 10 minutes had me in the mountains last monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

She seems very emotionally unstable, though. One could question the ethics of the Irish Times in putting her fragility on display for the whole country.
    I don't think she's emotionally unstable. She's like any young person who moves away for a few years and when they return home, things aren't the same. People have moved on and it takes a few months to find your feet again.

Her mistake was airing her thoughts in a national newspaper. It would be fine to say those things to a few friends over drinks but she obviously hasn't made friends yet and has made a holy show of herself. Hopefully she learns from this. Sometimes it's best to keep your thoughts private!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I don't think she's emotionally unstable. She's like any young person who moves away for a few years and when they return home, things aren't the same. People have moved on and it takes a few months to find your feet again.

Her mistake was airing her thoughts in a national newspaper. It would be fine to say those things to a few friends over drinks but she obviously hasn't made friends yet and has made a holy show of herself. Hopefully she learns from this. Sometimes it's best to keep your thoughts private!

I agree with much of this. It's just not a very good article. Surprised it was approved for publication.

But I also agree with the poster who questioned people clutching their pearls at the 'decline of the Irish media'. The Irish media has never been any great shakes and has always had a high opinion of itself that is not actually justified. There are maybe two consistently decent sceptical journalists in this country, Fintan O'Toole and Gene Kerrigan, and even those two can be insufferably smug at times. Tom Lyons is a decent business journalist. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that I'd rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Cant beat Clare or West Cork for a weekend..but the nosey, smug Lefties are what turns my stomach in Ireland. Any country that votes Ming, Claire Byrne and the guy from Wexford has serious issues..

Well, now you can vote UKIP to your heart's content. Good for you, Father!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

She seems very emotionally unstable, though. One could question the ethics of the Irish Times in putting her fragility on display for the whole country.

Ah, the Greta defence.

If you don't like what a female is saying, simply imply she's hysterical. Job done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

PostWoke wrote: »
    Ah, the Greta defence.

If you don't like what a female is saying, simply imply she's hysterical. Job done!

She literally states that she cries every day. She's 29.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah, the Greta defence.

Well since I'm not a Yank navigating and sucking up the BS of the more "interesting" parts of the online world I wouldn't use the term "female" for women, so that's a bit ironic.

Never mind that her article taken at face value could quite easily be described as pretty "hysterical" in the older sense. As S points out she happily admits to weeping every day. That's not good.

Never mind Part Deux; it's the all too usual banal deflection to victimhood mode of debate, so meh.

At this stage I'm not sure whether your opinions are just naive, or a windup, or being purposely obtuse, or a mixture of the previous. No doubt as more examples come in what judgement comes will come easily enough.

*Cue some defensive guff, with extra posturing by way of reply*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    She literally states that she cries every day. She's 29.

She cries because....?

If she didn't have a valid reason, you'd have some kind of argument.

But this kind of change can really throw someone for a loop, I've been through it myself.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Well since I'm not a Yank navigating and sucking up the BS of the more "interesting" parts of the online world I wouldn't use the term "female" for women, so that's a bit ironic.

It's not, because Greta is not yet a woman. If I had said woman some smartarse would've said so too, can't win eh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's not, because Greta is not yet a woman. If I had said woman some smartarse would've said so too, can't win eh.
    Eh.... Greta? How the holy hell are you conflating Great and the woman from the article; big difference, she's thirty years old. When does one pass beyond "not yet a woman"? Menopause? The grave?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Living in England 5 years. Love the place. Its vibrant,seaside towns are proper towns. The Cotswolds and Devon ,Cornwall are as pretty as anything in Ireland. I love visiting Ireland but I like the acceptance of right wing views in the UK. I vote Tory...the sporting options are huge..London is basically the worlds capital and iv lived in New York and London is better.

I'd take a bullet for Claire Byrne. And her serious issues. And that serious little face she pulls...
    I gather you mean Clare Daly? I suppose if you have her down in West Cork, try and keep the politics and bloodsports out of the bedroom Bloodybill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I agree with much of this. It's just not a very good article. Surprised it was approved for publication.

But I also agree with the poster who questioned people clutching their pearls at the 'decline of the Irish media'. The Irish media has never been any great shakes and has always had a high opinion of itself that is not actually justified. There are maybe two consistently decent sceptical journalists in this country, Fintan O'Toole and Gene Kerrigan, and even those two can be insufferably smug at times. Tom Lyons is a decent business journalist. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that I'd rate.

Surely Gemma O'Doherty? AKA GOD in journo circles. She's fierce sceptical about lots of stuff. Especially any of that foreign craic staining the four green fields.

Eh.... Greta? How the holy hell are you conflating Great and the woman from the article

Because the poster above is trying to paint this lass as mentally unfit and manipulated by the media, how are you not following? Go back through the posts lad so you understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Ah, the Greta defence.

"Every day since I returned to Ireland, I have experienced at least one bout of spontaneous crying [sic] I sometimes feel sheer panic about what have I done. What am I supposed to do now? How will I fit back in?"

These are her own words, describing daily bouts of spontaneous crying, sometimes accompanied by panic attacks. I haven't used the term "hysterical"—but I don't think that there's any doubt that she's emotionally unstable. She has effectively admitted as such.

I haven't mentioned Greta Thunberg—but I don't see that there's any comparison. Thunberg is 16. Nollaig O'Connor is almost 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

"Every day since I returned to Ireland, I have experienced at least one bout of spontaneous crying [sic] I sometimes feel sheer panic about what have I done. What am I supposed to do now? How will I fit back in?"

These are her own words, describing daily bouts of spontaneous crying, sometimes accompanied by panic attacks. I haven't used the term "hysterical"—but I don't think that there's any doubt that she's emotionally unstable. She has effectively admitted as such.

I haven't mentioned Greta Thunberg—but I don't see that there's any comparison. Thunberg is 16. Nollaig O'Connor is almost 30.

Aren’t you that guy everyone was slagging off before for pretending to be a Libertarian Joycean scholar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ah, the Greta defence.

Another one enraptured by Scoldilocks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

How bout those whingy “exiting” immigrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Aren’t you that guy everyone was slagging off before for pretending to be a Libertarian Joycean scholar?

Probably not. I'm just another whingy returned emigrant—unlike Joyce, who frequently whinged but never returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

She is crying everyday not because of Ireland per se but because she has eff all to show for herself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Eh.... Greta? How the holy hell are you conflating Great and the woman from the article; big difference, she's thirty years old. When does one pass beyond "not yet a woman"? Menopause? The grave?

I'd say it's a way of moving the goalposts by way of a false equivalence.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'd say it's a way of moving the goalposts by way of a false equivalence.

Why would you say foolish things though?

What do you think age has to do with it? Are we supposed to stop crying when we're upset at some age? Maybe you're just dead inside?

I would assume most psychologists would encourage such activity if needed, lest you do become unstable. Let it out rather than bottling it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Why are people here so angry?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why would you say foolish things though?

You brought Thunberg into this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Cause boards the internet is gone to sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You brought Thunberg into this.

Maslow's Hammer comes to mind. :pac:

tdf7187 wrote: »

Both O Toole and Kerrigan are unreconstructed Trotskyites... they may be sceptical but they are hardly above the parapet considering 95% of journalists are lefties anyway.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I'd take a bullet for Claire Byrne. And her serious issues. And that serious little face she pulls...
    I gather you mean Clare Daly? I suppose if you have her down in West Cork, try and keep the politics and bloodsports out of the bedroom Bloodybill...

Yeah Clare Daly...I like Claire Byrne too.chalk and cheese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Life is passing them by and they haven’t lived the dream like the lovely Nollaig.........

Advertisement