Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was or is your favourite radio show?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The Strawberry Alarmclock back when it was Hayes and Nugent in around 2000 was funny radio.

Off The Ball on Newstalk was brilliant and is still good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Kenny B wrote: »
    He used to sit in for Dunphy occasionally, when Dunphy jumped the shark, Matt was the obvious choice, Matt now has also jumped the shark, he spends too much time giving his opinion, change is long overdue there,

He has wholeheartedly embraced WOKE culture

Insufferable wally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Frank Skinner on Saturday mornings on AbsoluteRadio is always a treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gynoid wrote: »
    John Kelly 7-9 pm on Lyric and John Creedon 8-10 pm RTE1. Love them shows.

These and Lilian Smith at whatever ungodly hour they put her on - usually mad early or mad late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

nullzero wrote: »
    Moncrieff used to be a great listen.
    Not the same since he ran off on the missus and got his producer pregnant.

Is this true?

A part of me liked the 98 and 104 phone in shows back when I was a college kid. I did a stint in the 24 hour SPAR on dame street and sometimes the phone show was all that got me through the night. Even with all the drunks and robbers and vigilantes we used to get - somehow the people at home on their sofa with a phone had a life worse than I did :)

Glad its not like that these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Mo Cheoil Thu

Not my favourite but it was Dad’s. One of my earliest childhood memories is of my parents lying in bed every Sunday morning listening to Ciaran Mac Mathuna present this programme while my brother and I would create all sorts of mischief downstairs.

Moloney After Midnight

During my college days I used to listen to Moloney After Midnight on 2FM. The only thing I can remember about it is Mike used to chat to guest musicians and they always sounded half cut and the word “allegedly” featured very frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

'Nickel & Dime' radio show on wfmu.org.

Anybody who liked Dineens radio show or No Disco should check it out.

'Strength through Failure' is another good one on wfmu

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nick Abbot's late night phone show on Virgin 1215 around 1993 was a revelation to me, like nothing I've ever heard before or since. He is still good on LBC but I will always remember the early stuff.

Also, Danny Baker's Radio 5 shows (Morning Edition, Sportscall and 606) around the same time were genius.

I know sometimes you look back at these thing with rose tinted glasses (earplugs?) but any recordings I hear from that era still sound great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Niall Boylan on Classic Hits 4FM and Dublin Talks 98FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

An Taobh Tuathail on Radio na Gaelteachta is good..(if in that kind of mood).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Poparama as a kid, mainly for Aunty Poppy's Storytime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Is it true that the Niall Boylan show is only for working class people? That's what one of my friends said.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

John Kelly followed by Donal Dineen back in the day, back to back excellence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Any of the shows on Phantom/TXFM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

South Wind Blows with Philip King is fantastic.

I used to listen to it on a Sunday evening when I would usually be driving back to Dublin after a weekend. Since it changed to Saturday nights I'm more likely to listen to it on podcast.

The show introduced me to so many bands and albums (both contemporary and past) and the variety of music is amazing (you might have Bo Diddley followed by Damian Rice followed by Band of Horses...).

Philip King is a great presenter too and has a very relaxing tone and great music knowledge.

Love his trademark greetings and sign-off too: "A dhaoine uaisle, tá failte is fiche roimh isteach to dtí an clár" agus "Mind how you go - go dtí an chead uair eile, go dteigh sibh slán". Magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Electric Disco
    Anton's Today FM show
    I liked Ray Foley on Today FM, the Gauntlet was amazing
    I even liked KC's show on Today FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is it true that the Niall Boylan show is only for working class people? That's what one of my friends said.

No, it’s for those without any class. You know the type, they enjoy angrily listening to some bigot “telling it like it is”.

They’d be the same ones listening to Ciara Kelly’s show on Newstalk while scribbling their indignation furiously into a notepad.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Watching Mark Cagney on TV right now, brings me back to 80's radio - Night Train with Cagney was a great show as he played mostly non-single album tracks and 12 inch versions - think he started around 11.30 or so and brought you nicely to sleep around 1.45am when 2FM or whatever it was called back then, went off the air -if I remember rightly.

Ah Mark After Dark.
    I think it used to finish around 1.50am.

He was so mellow and as far as I know that was around he would go from the studio to the hospital to be with his wife.
    Oh and he was surviving on coke.

Gerry Ryan used to be on around 10pm.

Remember one night he got in trouble because he told people that it was time to get the tape recorders out as he was going to play complete 12" track.
    Dear Frankie, RTE in the 60s. Always good for a laugh. An Agony Aunt solving the romantic problems of the nation.

“It may not be your problem today, but it could be someday"

Ah yes Frankie who was shagging the national censor.

Good old Ireland.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

No, it’s for those without any class. You know the type, they enjoy angrily listening to some bigot “telling it like it is”.

They’d be the same ones listening to Ciara Kelly’s show on Newstalk while scribbling their indignation furiously into a notepad.

There’s a load of cranks and oddballs on this website who listen to radio shows they hate just so they can give out about them. Very strange behaviour, and a massive waste of time in my opinion. Happens with TV as well - people who hate the Late Late Show for example, yet watch it religiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

It is, I tried listen at home once but it was Geo blocked, in work at in an Industrial Estate it's loud and clear,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Bobblehats wrote: »
    You couldn’t beat the pirate stations. Real dedicated music fans with their bags of rare grooves broadcasting from their sheds. When they regulated that shít they killed radio

Agreed. Bring back Pulse 103.2 FM :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Joe and Keith on Breakfast Express were brilliant. Such good banter in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭conor222

Used to listen to Pet Sounds with Tom Dunne every evening when I was younger,
    Younger still, the top 40 on Sundays swapping between Today FM and Radio 1 (BBC) to record tracks onto cassettes

Won a few sets of tickets and stuff on Pet Sounds over the years, really liked the mix of music as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I am enjoying the trips down memory lane here. Should this thread not be in the Radio forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Moncrieff’s voice makes me want put my foot through the radio.

Em.. Crikey!

I am enjoying the trips down memory lane here. Should this thread not be in the Radio forum?

You leave my thread where you found it :P
    Nah, much more fun having it in AH.

Brendan Balfe RTÉ 1 was great at compiling comedy sketches from around the world- Saturday midday would have you in stitches - long before there was the inter web or YouTube- that coupled with Scrap Saturday made for a very entertaining Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You leave my thread where you found it :P
    Nah, much more fun having it in AH.

Brendan Balfe RTÉ 1 was great at compiling comedy sketches from around the world- Saturday midday would have you in stitches - long before there was the inter web or YouTube- that coupled with Scrap Saturday made for a very entertaining Saturday morning

Pathetic News, putting you in the picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Spotify.

Mine will always be the Rock Show with Tommy Vance on BBC Radio back in the day. Used always tape it to play on my walkman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

John Clarke's Biggest Jukebox in it's original format

Moncrieff’s voice makes me want put my foot through the radio.

This Moncrieff's voice doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not a radio show but the Shipping Forecast literally transports you to other places especially in the winter months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

nullzero wrote: »
    Moncrieff used to be a great listen.
    Not the same since he ran off on the missus and got his producer pregnant.

This true.
    :eek:

Private life, I suppose, but was kept well under wraps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mine will always be the Rock Show with Tommy Vance on BBC Radio back in the day. Used always tape it to play on my walkman.
    Followed by Tom Russell's Rock Show on Radio Clyde if you lived in Glasgow, Scotland.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Not a radio show but the Shipping Forecast literally transports you to other places especially in the winter months

Just Like the theme music for seascapes, the maritime program

Dong, dang ding dong ding dang, la la la la la la la la la lah... ding, dang dong dong ding ding...la la la la la la la la lah...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

storker wrote: »
    I don't know how Matt Cooper got a job in radio with that voice. When he's at his most indignant only dogs can hear him...

Matt the pigeon cooper as they say

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is this the 'What is your favourite radio show' or 'Idle gossip about radio presenters lives' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

The Strawberry Alarmclock back when it was Hayes and Nugent in around 2000 was funny radio.

Off The Ball on Newstalk was brilliant and is still good.

Different strokes. In 2000 I worked in a place where the Strawberry Alarm Clock was on every morning. Prank calls and silly voices meant I conceived a loathing for FM 104 that lasts to this day. Dublin’ sH*t Music Station indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Watching Mark Cagney on TV right now, brings me back to 80's radio - Night Train with Cagney was a great show as he played mostly non-single album tracks and 12 inch versions - think he started around 11.30 or so and brought you nicely to sleep around 1.45am when 2FM or whatever it was called back then, went off the air -if I remember rightly.

2fm metal show in the 90's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Harbour Hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Favourite radio show? That's impossible for me to answer. Here are some contenders, though.

Pat James' Rock Shows on Radio Dublin (1978-79), ARD/Radio 257 (1979-80) and Southside FM (1988).

Dave Fanning's Rock Show on Big D (1978 - 79).

John Kenny's punk/new wave shows on Big D and/or Radio City and ARD / Radio 257 between 1979 and 1980.

The Anorak Hour, presented by Ger Rowe, on Coast FM (1995-96), on Q95 (1996 - Coast FM's transmitter being used by dance pirate), Spectrum FM (1996-1997), Phantom FM as a pirate (1997-2003), Phantom FM on temporary licences (2003 and 2004 - program called Media Beacon) and Phantom FM on permanent licence (2006- 2007).

Mark Cagney's Night Train during the 1980s on RTE Radio 2 / 2FM.

Matt Dempsey's weeknight show on Capitol Radio / Nitesky Radio in the late 1980s.
    Miicheal Reade, aka Mike Reade, - his Sunday afternoon show on Capitol Radio in the mid-late 1980s.

Nikki Moss's new wave show in the late 1970s with similar sounding pirate Capital Radio.

Scrap Saturday on 2FM and Radio 1 at different times.

Neil O'Shea's Lite Jazz on Lite FM (2000-03).

I know there are loads of radio shows over the years I have enjoyed, but these are the ones that stand out for me at the moment. Others may well come to mind later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Favourite radio show? That's impossible for me to answer. Here are some contenders, though.

Pat James' Rock Shows on Radio Dublin (1978-79), ARD/Radio 257 (1979-80) and Southside FM (1988).

Dave Fanning's Rock Show on Big D (1978 - 79).

John Kenny's punk/new wave shows on Big D and/or Radio City and ARD / Radio 257 between 1979 and 1980.

The Anorak Hour, presented by Ger Rowe, on Coast FM (1995-96), on Q95 (1996 - Coast FM's transmitter being used by dance pirate), Spectrum FM (1996-1997), Phantom FM as a pirate (1997-2003), Phantom FM on temporary licences (2003 and 2004 - program called Media Beacon) and Phantom FM on permanent licence (2006- 2007).

Mark Cagney's Night Train during the 1980s on RTE Radio 2 / 2FM.

Matt Dempsey's weeknight show on Capitol Radio / Nitesky Radio in the late 1980s.
    Miicheal Reade, aka Mike Reade, - his Sunday afternoon show on Capitol Radio in the mid-late 1980s.

Nikki Moss's new wave show in the late 1970s with similar sounding pirate Capital Radio.

Scrap Saturday on 2FM and Radio 1 at different times.

Neil O'Shea's Lite Jazz on Lite FM (2000-03).

I know there are loads of radio shows over the years I have enjoyed, but these are the ones that stand out for me at the moment. Others may well come to mind later.

Ah stop showing off will ya🀣🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

2FM around the mid 1990’s. It was excellent music radio. From Dempsey in the morning to Tony Fenton’s hotline, that day time line up was fantastic. Proper DJ’s. 20+ years since Dempsey left and they’re still faffing around trying to replace him.

Today FM of about a decade ago was almost up there too but it’s been in terminal decline in the last 5-6 years. Matt Cooper on TLW was fine for a long time but whether by his own choice or being forced to from above, that show has become a parody of its old self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

JoeA3 wrote:
    Today FM of about a decade ago was almost up there too but it’s been in terminal decline in the last 5-6 years. Matt Cooper on TLW was fine for a long time but whether by his own choice or being forced to from above, that show has become a parody of its old self.

Totally agree. TLW used to be very good, I still try to tune in whenever I can, but Matt has become so cringey and unimpartial (if thats even a word) and always seems to be hellbent on bringing his slightly irrational hatred of Donald Trump into everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Can anyone remember the show that used to come on after the fm 104 phone show was over around 12 or 1am? It was on for an hour and just these mad people cracking jokes and talking funny and silly. Was gas crack

torres9kop wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the show that used to come on after the fm 104 phone show was over around 12 or 1am? It was on for an hour and just these mad people cracking jokes and talking funny and silly. Was gas crack

Think it was in the early 90’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Does anyone remember in about 98/99 there was this totally out there mental show after Adrian Kennedy on FM104? I can't remember the name of the presenter but all kinds of absolute loons used to call up and it turned into this totally abstract off the wall show. I don't think it lasted too long but it was crazy.

Pretty sure that was The Overnighter with Greg Merriman. Remember Tony? He used to do songs and stuff. Mate of mine used to call in out of his head and be saying Donald Duck sexually abused him.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was The Overnighter with Greg Merriman. Remember Tony? He used to do songs and stuff. Mate of mine used to call in out of his head and be saying Donald Duck sexually abused him.

Yes it was mental stuff. Really funny though

Advertisement