Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pls recommend alarm self monitoring Dublin

Options
  • 29-10-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi , im looking for some recommendations for house alarm self monitoring , rather than full monitoring .
    What could I expect to pay for self monitoring per month ?
    Ideally looking for a system I can at some point add external / internal camera to and view via an app

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi are you looking at wired it wireless?
    There's a good few variations when it comes to monitoring and self monitoring.

This starts at free for systems like GSD,Siemens Vanderbilt Risco and some others.
    Then you have where individual installer's are setting their own prices even for some of the free versions.
    There's then the paid versions at around,€5 per month. Again here some installers increase that to their own amounts.
    After that some try to tie it up with maintenance contracts.
    Shop around.Also maybe post back on what you have in mind.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi are you looking at wired it wireless?
    There's a good few variations when it comes to monitoring and self monitoring.

This starts at free for systems like GSD,Siemens Vanderbilt Risco and some others.
    Then you have where individual installer's are setting their own prices even for some of the free versions.
    There's then the paid versions at around,€5 per month. Again here some installers increase that to their own amounts.
    After that some try to tie it up with maintenance contracts.
    Shop around.Also maybe post back on what you have in mind.

I would agree with the above.

HKC is €5 per month and can have integrated cameras, wired and wireless sensors. I don’t think the alarms mentioned above can have integrated cameras ( I’m open to correction). Of the systems mentioned above I would select the Vanderbilt.

Personally I don’t see having a separate camera system as a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Ropo

Thanks for replies , I'm looking for wireless system.
    Is there any system that you can top up so you are tied into a fixed per month service.
    I would like an sms of the alarm sounds - im concerned about depending on app only incase im out of service on my mobile . For me the so is a bonus.
    Happy to go with separate cameras now I'm thinking about it. Run then separately to the alarm

2011 wrote: »

HKC is €5 per month and can have integrated cameras, wired and wireless sensors. I don’t think the alarms mentioned above can have integrated cameras ( I’m open to correction). Of the systems mentioned above I would select the Vanderbilt.

Personally I don’t see having a separate camera system as a disadvantage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ropo wrote: »
    Thanks for replies , I'm looking for wireless system.
    Is there any system that you can top up so you are tied into a fixed per month service.

Wireless has its advantages however wireless sensors cost around €100 each (compared to €10 for wired), each requires a battery (which requires replacement and they are more bulky so don’t look as good. Pretty much all systems can have wireless sensors connected to them however some require 3rd party devices to achieve this.

In terms of topping up obviously if you don’t top up you won’t receive alarm activation data. So I would advise against pay as you go. I just pay the €5 per month by direct debit, for me it is small money for peace of mind.

Alternatively you could select a system that has free notifications but your mobile phone would have to be in credit.
    I would like an sms of the alarm sounds - im concerned about depending on app only incase im out of service on my mobile .

I get an SMS and an app notification from my HKC. Pretty much all other systems can do this too. Having said that the App has been 100% reliable for me since I got it a few years ago. I have a number of camera motion detectors with the alarm too. They send images directly to the app if they detect movement when the system is armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

I don’t think the alarms mentioned above can have integrated cameras ( I’m open to correction).

RISCO now have integrated CCTV and Home Automation products all accessible from the one app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Ropo

Thanks for the feedback , one more question for a window with 3 openings e.g. 2 large on side and one opening at the top do I need to have shock / contact on each opening ? Working our v pricey

SDKev wrote: »
    RISCO now have integrated CCTV and Home Automation products all accessible from the one app.

Interesting. Like I say above I don't think this is a big advantage.
    They still have a very small market share over here compared to HKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

Interesting. Like I say above I don't think this is a big advantage.
    They still have a very small market share over here compared to HKC.

I agree, for me using multiple apps isn’t an issue - but I think it could be a good selling point / upselling point for the installer.

Re: market share, from my perspective RISCO was designed by engineers, HKC was designed by installers, it’s easy to program, install and gives few faults.

- The RISCO CCTV product is Rebranded Dahua

SDKev wrote: »
    Re: market share, from my perspective RISCO was designed by engineers, HKC was designed by installers, it’s easy to program, install and gives few faults.

Funny, that is what I always said about the (now very dated) Astec alarms. It was ahead of it’s time in many ways. When designing it they really listened to what installers wanted. Fewer connections, 2 wire addressable PIRs, 2 wire keypads, nothing polarity conscious, electronic resettable fuses etc.

Advertisement