Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qashqai engine failure

• 29-10-2019 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

So our 2012 Qashqai +2 b(235k km) broke down yesterday and we had it towed to our local Indy garage who confirmed today that the engine was blown. Reckons that the oil pump had failed! Has anyone heard of this happen before?

I thought that it might have been a timing belt failure but same garage had replaced the belt and kit etc 4 weeks ago.

It's a 1.5 dci. Would a 1.5 dCi from a qashqai (5 seats) work? Any ideas of the cost of a second hand engine from a breakers and how many hours labour would it take to fit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

cocoman wrote: »
    So our 2012 Qashqai +2 b(235k km) broke down yesterday and we had it towed to our local Indy garage who confirmed today that the engine was blown. Reckons that the oil pump had failed! Has anyone heard of this happen before?

I thought that it might have been a timing belt failure but same garage had replaced the belt and kit etc 4 weeks ago.

It's a 1.5 dci. Would a 1.5 dCi from a qashqai (5 seats) work? Any ideas of the cost of a second hand engine from a breakers and how many hours labour would it take to fit?

Of course they say it's pump. Likely maintenance induced failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldn't have brought it to same fella who did the belt as if he messed up he will cover his ads now.
    Either way, it seems you need a new engine.
    Best to go by engine codes when looking for engine but lots about I'd say. From what I can see not alot of them fail so plenty around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Did the oil pressure light come on or has the engine seized up? Will it turn over when trying to start?

If it will turn over it is not seized which would suggest timing belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Engine in my 2011 Qashqai+2 blew in 2014 with 80,000kms on the clock at that time. Problem was sourced to an oil pressure sensor in the engine that didn't open, or so I was told, resulting in the oil in the engine literally exploding through all the gaskets. The engine bay looked like a bomb had gone off. As it was purchased from Nissan and serviced by them and was in warranty, I thought they'd stand over the repair but this was a battle that took 8 weeks to resolve. My dealer fought my side for me and looked for a new engine......or so I was told.

When I finally got the car back, I was told it had a new engine but that the trip computer could not be zeroed, which was my understanding? A few years later I was looking in the engine bay and it occured to me that the log book should have been updated with the new engine number. So I checked the engine number against the log book and lo and behold, it was the original engine. Evidently my dealer had just rebuilt the engine which he had proclaimed as "fcuked" at the time. I was none too happy about this and went to the dealer only to be told they "never said it was a new engine". I said yes you bloody well did and I even asked you to zero the trip computer. They denied all knowledge of this. So basically, they are lying ba$tards who had me believe I had a new engine in my Cashcow when in fact it was a rebuilt engine that had seized when the car was in warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Did the oil pressure light come on or has the engine seized up? Will it turn over when trying to start?

If it will turn over it is not seized which would suggest timing belt.

No oil pressure light came on. Engine just stopped whilst driving. Wouldn't turn over - not a meg.
    Have sourced an engine (145k km on it) from a breakers and is currently being fitted. Hopefully it won't be a dud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement