Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron wireless problem

Options
  • 30-10-2019 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows 7 made about 2009.

I normally use it hardwired to the router but today I plugged out the network cable and tried to turn on wireless to set up a wifi extender. Normally this is done by pressing the F2 key and the aerial icon comes up and I'm on wifi. Today when I pressed F2 nothing happened. I added an external keyboard and it won't work with that either. I also tried Shift, CTRL and Fn with F2 but nothing.

Is there a backdoor route I can take to turn it on or would the wifi workings be giving trouble otherwise?

PS I got the extender sorted with a phone but I'd still like to get the wifi working on the laptop anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Isn't wireless Fn+F2 on most Dells? Writing this on a Dell Inspiron N5110 with Windows 7.....and a USB keyboard.

Only way I can switch wifi on/off is with Fn+F2, so need to use the main keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

FanadMan wrote: »
    Isn't wireless Fn+F2 on most Dells? Writing this on a Dell Inspiron N5110 with Windows 7.....and a USB keyboard.

Only way I can switch wifi on/off is with Fn+F2, so need to use the main keyboard.

Thanks FM. up to two weeks ago It was just the F2 button and no Fn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

sligojoek wrote: »
    Thanks FM. up to two weeks ago It was just the F2 button and no Fn.

Never known a laptop to not use Fn for things like wifi (or volume or brightness etc) when combined with Fkeys. Maybe you had a stuck Fn before :D

Drunk question.....did Fn+F2 work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

You can actually change the function key behaviour setting in a lot of BIOSs which would mean only having to press the "F" keys to access their function without the need for pressing Fn
    ximg_565e2852b61b6.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.9ut75zGc2e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just getting back on this laptop now. Still no luck. I've tried it with and without the Fn key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I have a 2010 Lenovo laptop, there is a switch on the side of the machine which disables all radio communication in case you're in a hostile (hacker) environment. The onboard Wi-Fi periodically switches itself off as if I had manually flipped that switch so I bought a wi-fi USB stick for about €20 in Tesco. It's not worth going to a repair shop if your machine is that old.

This is the type of gadget you need .....

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/archer-t2u/

Advertisement