Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Ducting Installation

• 30-10-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

I’ve been back and forward with Eir for the past 3 months trying to get broadband installed in a house I’ve just moved into.

The previous owners had Eir broadband but when KN come out to do the install they get error readings on the line. The situation is complicated by the fact that we can’t locate the main line coming into the house.

After much back and forth we determined the way forward was to simply get a new line installed. I’ve gotten a lot of conflicting information from Eir about this but understand that it’s my responsible to lay ducting on my property to facilitate the new line and they will handle any works outside of my boundary.

I’m happy to do this and have looked at Eir ducting guidelines online (https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf) however there are a few things I’m not clear about and haven’t been able to get a straight answer on from Eir.

I’m hoping other posters may have gone through something similar and be able to help!
    1. Do I need to bring the duct only up to the wall of my house and not drill through the house well?
    2. Do I need to bring the duct only up to my boundary wall or through it? Assuming it’s only to the boundary then should I bring the duct above ground at the point?
    3. Who is responsible for the cost of any works required external to my property?
    4. Do I need to supply ducting to get from my boundary wall to the network touch point?

For context, my house is in an established estate in south county Dublin. I never dreamed that getting broadband would be such an ideal!

Any help is greatly appreciated and apologies for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Do you really need Eir as it could be a costly operation?

First thing is to establish where you will have to tie in to there network.

Where is the nearest chamber/manhole in a footpath left or right of your property? This is the place you will need to run a duct too.

Eir should supply you with all the ducting.

You will need a continuous duct from the wall of your house to the chamber on the path.
    You will need to do the section in your property.

The section in the public property will require permission from the council and probably be done by Eir (or a subcontractor of theirs like KN networks Depending on distance this could be €€€€

You would also be responsible for getting a duct from a point inside your house to meet the duct outside. Usually this would happen in an ETU box built into the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IrionDevral

Thanks for the reply Ronney.

Virgin Media don't serve the estate so it's Eir (or another provider like Sky using the Eir infrastructure) or wireless and if possible I'd rather go with a wired option. Obviosuly cost will come into it to!

The manhole / network touch point is about 100m up the road from my property.

Originally Eir told me I would be responsible for getting a contractor to dig up the public footpath but they've now said that they / KN will do it but haven't been able to provide any indication of the cost of doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

The 100m will be the costly section. You (KN)will need to dig a trench from your property to the chamber.

Any Neigbhours along the way that might be willing to split cost? Or if you could show they are looking for Eir service it might comercially make sense for Eir to do it at their cost.

This will probably require permission and a fee to the council to close Road/path section.

Try contact

plantalterations@eir.ie

They look after things like getting poles moved and services put under ground.
    They will charge €350 approx to come out look at it and the quote for the works could be a few thousand!
    I had a quote 2 years back to run 75m from over ground (poles) to under ground for €5200. (ESB were €50K for the same section!)

Request a drawing here

https://www.eir.ie/support/landline/building-or-altering-your-home/

The duct might go by your driveway so a new chamber at your entrance could possibly work.

Advertisement