Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for deposit back

Options
  • 30-10-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have had children in college for the last 18 years. This I have been doing alone as the children's father does not financially support us. Some of the children got grants along the way but I now have a job which puts me over the limit so I supported the last 4 in college. I have not been in this situation before hence the question.

I had 2 children in college last year and I rent my house. I also have loans to pay for fees.Three lots of rent and 2 loans are difficult to pay every month so I was late with one student's rent twice. Totally my fault, I admit. Once I had a problem with my car which needed to be sorted because I had to get to work. The second time I was in hospital and forgot bank fees would come out as well as rent so rent was not paid. Ok I should have checked up but health scare knocked me sideways. When the landlord text me the second payment was late. I work 2 jobs and both students have jobs to help with loan payments.

I paid off the arrears but the landlord refused to renew lease. No issue, can understand his point.Found new accommodation for student.

My issue. Landlord has not refunded deposit or mentioned it. Never been in this position before so don't know if my lateness with rent means I lose deposit. Yes I need it but if I am in the wrong I won't be asking for it.

Really would value advice but don't want nasty comments. Stressed enough to be honest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If everything was paid up and no damage outside of regular wear and tear then deposit should be refunded.

If not you should be given details of why it wasn’t returned, receipts etc.

And fair play to you, not sure why anyone could say anything nasty to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If you owe no money, the LL owes you a deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Hi, I have had children in college for the last 18 years. This I have been doing alone as the children's father does not financially support us. Some of the children got grants along the way but I now have a job which puts me over the limit so I supported the last 4 in college. I have not been in this situation before hence the question.

I had 2 children in college last year and I rent my house. I also have loans to pay for fees.Three lots of rent and 2 loans are difficult to pay every month so I was late with one student's rent twice. Totally my fault, I admit. Once I had a problem with my car which needed to be sorted because I had to get to work. The second time I was in hospital and forgot bank fees would come out as well as rent so rent was not paid. Ok I should have checked up but health scare knocked me sideways. When the landlord text me the second payment was late. I work 2 jobs and both students have jobs to help with loan payments.

I paid off the arrears but the landlord refused to renew lease. No issue, can understand his point.Found new accommodation for student.

My issue. Landlord has not refunded deposit or mentioned it. Never been in this position before so don't know if my lateness with rent means I lose deposit. Yes I need it but if I am in the wrong I won't be asking for it.

Really would value advice but don't want nasty comments. Stressed enough to be honest.

You are entitled to your deposit back...just ask and take it from there. As per citizens advice:

"landlord may keep part or all of the deposit in the following situations:

Rent arrears
    Unpaid bills
    Damage above normal wear and tear
    If you have not given adequate notice"

If none of the above apply you are entitled to deposit.
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

How long have you lived there OP? It's not as simple as"not renewing your lease". Did you receive any written warnings? You sound very honest and fair play to you as it is not easy.
    Call threshold for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

How long have you lived there OP? It's not as simple as"not renewing your lease". Did you receive any written warnings? You sound very honest and fair play to you as it is not easy.
    Call threshold for advice.

It's student's rent that was late. My accommodation is ok. Student was only there one year. No warnings but no issue with non renewal of lease. It's a business arrangement after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Ask again about the return of the deposit keep a record of how and where you asked. Advise the landlord if he does not reply you will forced to open a dispute with the RTB.

theteal wrote: »
    If you owe no money, the LL owes you a deposit

Strictly speaking, even if you owe money for rent.....the landlord still owes you the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

You should get deposit back, being late with rent is unrelated to deposit as long as all rent was paid eventually.

On a side note those kids are so lucky to have such a hard working mother as you, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Complain to the RTB.

Thank you for your kind comments. Í thought people might say it's tough being a landlord and people being late with rent doesnt' help. I paid all arrears within 2 days of him reminding me. I don't know about wear and tear. I will text and see what he says. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Thank you for your kind comments. Í thought people might say it's tough being a landlord and people being late with rent doesnt' help. I paid all arrears within 2 days of him reminding me. I don't know about wear and tear. I will text and see what he says. Thanks again.

Don't ask about the deposit, ask for the deposit. Ask the students on the side though if they did any damage - forewarned is forearmed and all that. Presumably notice periods etc were followed. Ask for deposit to be returned. Depending on what LL says, decide whether to go to the RTB or not if the LL has a legitimate reason for keeping deposit

I thought people might like to know the end of this. I didn't ask for the deposit back for a few days (still nervous) but I did a few days ago and it was returned immediately. Many thanks for everyone's help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You sound like a dream, truly. I am surprised that it wasn’t renewed. Paying arrears within 2 days of notification is better than 90% of arrears, I am sure. Was it student accommodation or a normal flat? If your child had part 1”IV rights to stay then the landlord should play ball with you do you do not lodge a case for an unlawful eviction the fine for which would dramatically exceed the deposit. Press on, you are entitled to its return.

Advertisement