Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Art O Neill Challenge Friday 17th January 2020

• 30-10-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Registrations close today....

https://www.artoneill.ie/

Registration
    Please read the following information carefully.

This page outlines the registration and entry process for the Art O'Neill Challenge. The Challenge is limited, for conservation and safety reasons, to 200 participants. The Challenge usually receives far more registrations than there are places in the event. Places in the event are offered, drawn by lottery, from the registrations received each year. The organisers reserve 20 places in the event. These places are offered to the first three male and female finishers from the previous year, and to people who have provided vital services, without which the event could not run. The remaining 180 places are offered at random. Please read the following:

The entry fee for the event is €140, which is payable by credit card on receipt of an offer.

Offers of places are strictly time-limited. Payment must be received before the deadline to confirm a place in the event.

Places are not transferable. For safety reasons, only the person who is offered a place may participate in the event.

Duplicate entries are not permitted. Any breach of this rule will result in disqualification, with all offending registrations being removed.

Group entries are permitted, up to a maximum size of four.

If some members of a group are unable to accept offers, unconfirmed entries will be offered at random to other registrants.

Participants will be offered places by email. Please ensure that your email address is correct, and that it's monitored closely.

Once the deadline on an offer expires the place is forfeit.

Places that are unconfirmed after the initial draw will be offered, drawn at random, to other registrants.

The organisers of the event strive to be as fair as possible. Every effort is made to ensure that everyone who registers has an equal chance of getting a place in the event. If you have any questions about the registration and entry process, please get in touch.

Registration is now open!
    Please click the link below to go to the registration site. Registrations are open until Wednesday, October 30th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Anyone know when places will be offered? According to the website it says the draw for places is today

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

Anyone know when places will be offered? According to the website it says the draw for places is today

Haven’t seen anything yet. Have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Emails are out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

The annual PFO...5 from 5 at least im consistent!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Did the AON in it’s early days. Twas tough going but this Bumbóg managed to get through it. NEVER AGAIN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

jrby wrote: »
    Haven’t seen anything yet. Have you?

Got a rejection email this morning. 3 years in a row now after completing the 2015 and 2016 Race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

The annual PFO...5 from 5 at least im consistent!! :D
    1st year entering for me and I got in...sorry :o:o

fletch wrote: »
    1st year entering for me and I got in...sorry :o:o

Cool..enjoy the Chrimbo training :D
    What category did you apply for Fletch?

What category did you apply for Fletch?
    Ultra :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was very tempted enter this but once I hit the open mountain at night I'm screwed as I have no navigation skills :)
    Opted for Ballyhoura Moonlight Marathon Challenge the week before instead

If I could get a group together might try again next year..

• Advertisement

IMO... The most enjoyable part of Art O'Neil is being alone, in the dark on top of open mountain... trying to find the best route to the next checkpoint. Being guided or in a group etc.. for me, would lose what makes this race so different than all the rest.

Ultra :eek:

Ye bleedin Sh1te ye!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Any recce days planned beforehand?

I'm doing the ultra but haven't a scooby how to navigate!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sutrra

Hi, racing this year the Art O'Neill and planing on reccing.Looking by the maps and checkpoints seeing that there is between checkpoint 2 and Finish the section where you can just follow the bearing to the forest and then to the avonbeg river and then to the finish without going on the Art O'Neill Cross.
    Is going on the Cross a requirment as ( you didnt do the race if you didn't pay respect to Art) or going the straight line following the river will get me in bogs and muds? Tnx

sutrra wrote: »
    Hi, racing this year the Art O'Neill and planing on reccing.Looking by the maps and checkpoints seeing that there is between checkpoint 2 and Finish the section where you can just follow the bearing to the forest and then to the avonbeg river and then to the finish without going on the Art O'Neill Cross.
    Is going on the Cross a requirment as ( you didnt do the race if you didn't pay respect to Art) or going the straight line following the river will get me in bogs and muds? Tnx

No requirement to go to the cross, some people would say it is the spirit of the event... I have never bothered. Following the river up to the lakes is a tough climb, the optimal route is to take a straight line from the edge of the forrest to the table track through the valley.

getting close now, weather looks (based on 10 day forecast) that it might be dry

Has anyone a Strava file for AON they could pm me or put up here?
    The off road sections in particular is what im looking for...

I have this version I found online...but cant be sure its for the race specific (i now you can take a few routes)
    https://www.plotaroute.com/route/515231

If you PM me your email, I can send you on some GPX files.. I do not have them in Strava

Best to luck to all involved...Safe round

Well did everyone survive? :)

If Carlsberg did races!!
    Have to say just found my new favorite race of the year!!
    Excellent well run event..
    Chapeau to the DWMRT and all volunteers to make it run smooth as it did.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    IMO... The most enjoyable part of Art O'Neil is being alone, in the dark on top of open mountain... trying to find the best route to the next checkpoint. Being guided or in a group etc.. for me, would lose what makes this race so different than all the rest.

Well I certainly cant be accused of following anyone!
    Other than the checkpoints I didnt talk or was close to enough to shout to another soul for the mountain sections.

Well I certainly cant be accused of following anyone!
    Other than the checkpoints I didnt talk or was close to enough to shout to another soul for the mountain sections.

All went well?... what did you think if the route?

I still think that is the best part about the race... alone in the dark with your thoughts :pac:

I still think that is the best part about the race... alone in the dark with your thoughts :pac:
    Agree...I even got a fright a few times thinking the moon was a person :eek: :D Another time, I thought I was gaining on 2 runners in front only to realise it was the reflection of my headtorch in the eyes of 2 sheep coming towards me ha Definitely my favourite race of 2020 so far :)

All went well?... what did you think if the route?

Yeah sure was interesting!! without doubt the best race Ive done to date..
    I was looking back up to Billy Byrnes gap and to see the variation of routes people took was crazy.
    Cp2 to finish I was to the right of the river and to see people head for Arts cross was making me doubt myself but stuck at it.
    Couldn't believe how close time wise we were at the finish line because I could only see 2 lights ahead to the left and no one else coming up after me the route I took.

Anybody know why the logs just after CP2 were cordoned off? I see (from Strava flybys) that most dipped under the tape but others followed the fire road which would have added distance for them.

Anybody know why the logs just after CP2 were cordoned off? I see (from Strava flybys) that most dipped under the tape but others followed the fire road which would have added distance for them.

I didnt dip under how much extra do you think it added?
    Not thst it matters. I finished on 53.9km total

I assumed coilte had taped it off to keep hikers out... And promptly ignored it.

Anyone else see the lad on the mountain bike..think he was crewing for his brother amd a few others..Just wondering did he cycle all of the route?
    I passed him at the forest after Billy Byrnes gap...then came across him on table track...Glenmalure then..
    See him in a few photos on CP1 as well..
    :D
    Sound fella

Anyone else see the lad on the mountain bike..think he was crewing for his brother amd a few others..Just wondering did he cycle all of the route?
    I passed him at the forest after Billy Byrnes gap...then came across him on table track...Glenmalure then..
    See him in a few photos on CP1 as well..
    :D
    Sound fella

Met him as I was going into cp2 and again coming down to the finish line, making his way up table track.

• Advertisement

I didnt dip under how much extra do you think it added?
    Not thst it matters. I finished on 53.9km total
    The fire road is 1.3km around compared to 300m going directly up the embankment...so an additional 1km added on if you took the road. My total was 51.8km for reference

The fire road is 1.3km around compared to 300m going directly up the embankment...so an additional 1km added on if you took the road. My total was 51.8km for reference

Cp2 to finish was my weakest section for nav...reference taken if I ever get in again...... :)

Still waiting on photos to be added nothing on the finish line as of yet...

More photos up there from the finish line and still not making an appearance.............(72 uploaded today at 2:17pm)

Im not on Facebook can someone ask if they have any more to add?

Advertisement