Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Hallowe'en going out of fashion?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We trick or treated in the early 80s and my cousins had been doing it since at least the 70s. We also had a Halloween party and played traditional games like bobbing for apples and snap apple. We went to the bonfire, and ate colcannon with coins in it and brack with a ring, a rag and a coin in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,471 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I was younger Halloween was basically a day during the midterm.
    In school you might have made something in Art such as a hat or mask.
    Now however. Schools have dress up day on the Friday of the midterm and it sort of fizzles out for them I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Remember kids - resist the urge to dress up as a Nazi or to get ‘blacked up’ - stuff like that will comeback to haunt you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I was younger Halloween was basically a day during the midterm.
    In school you might have made something in Art such as a hat or mask.
    Now however. Schools have dress up day on the Friday of the midterm and it sort of fizzles out for them I find.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Remember kids - resist the urge to dress up as a Nazi or to get ‘blacked up’ - stuff like that will comeback to haunt you.

or a KKK member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,471 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What do you mean?

They have a day in school where they dress up,etc and then they don't seem to be overly pushed about Halloween night when it comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Women - feel free to continue to dress up as novelty stripograms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Actually I was out on Saturday night with a few pals that were dressed up and the club we went to had hardly anyone in costume, which was very surprising. Have heard a lot less bangers this year too (which is a good thing).

To be honest, while I like Hallowe'en, I'd be happy if we dropped the current utterly Americanized version that we've imported and bring back a more traditional festival.

like burning people?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The face blackening goes way back to the Celts and the Samhain festival, so there's half an excuse anyway! Black faced skulls with white bones like Dia de Los Muertos would probably also get you a pass!

Zaph wrote: »
    We can but hope that this is the case. I thought it was awful tedious nonsense even when I was a kid, and my opinion hasn't changed in the meantime.

Same here. The only thing I've ever liked about it was monkey nuts. Havn't been able to find any this year. Apparently* you aren't meant to give anything with nuts in it as a treat and so they aren't selling them anymore.

*So I heard. May not be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Same here. The only thing I've ever liked about it was monkey nuts. Havn't been able to find any this year. Apparently* you aren't meant to give anything with nuts in it as a treat and so they aren't selling them anymore.

*So I heard. May not be true.

The proper fruit and veg shops are full with the monkey nuts.buy them by the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Spanish still do it for the 3 kings or little christmas in January. The snowflakes only found out this year they did it and got very upset, especially the yank snowflakes who barely have any understanding of any European traditions
    is_that_so wrote: »
    The face blackening goes way back to the Celts and the Samhain festival, so there's half an excuse anyway! Black faced skulls with white bones like Dia de Los Muertos would probably also get you a pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's getting bigger and bigger in Derry. What used to be a one night thing is now a week long celebration.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

is_that_so wrote: »

I dressed up as Linford Christie for a Hallowe’en party in London in 1992. The dude had won the Olympic medal that year. I also wanted chicks at the party to go ‘well Linford is it true what they say about what’s in your shorts’? The old Linford Lunchbox.

This was before smartphones and outrage culture, but I do vaguely remember a few Polaroid’s being taken that evening. I’m not an important guy but nobody wants to be tarnished with the old cultural appropriation thing. Dangerous business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Did anyone see the ending from the Six-One news tonight? I thought it was very well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

seems very decent almost, well hope so no more trick a treaters, mostly kids with parents. so pretty much quiet and similar to last year.

fireworks on the other hand are firing for last hour, not some crappy ones either, dont mind, but the dog is howling and barking his head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Halloween 3: Season of the witch is on later, Irish cultists trying to murder millions of children... Doesn't get any better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I visited their shop in New York twenty years ago (when I was 48). Fantastic. At the door to greet you was a huge black man in black top hat and crimson tails. Great shop.

That was probably Trudeau doing work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Women - feel free to continue to dress up as novelty stripograms.
    Your Ma did the local slut dress very well. Pity she changed for Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

My scumbag neighbors having a Rave, safe in the knowledge that there is probably so much going on elsewhere there is no point in bothering the guards. They don't even live there, older and deceased parents house. If the rain keeps coming it might close them down.... then again with the techno music who knows

• Advertisement
Advertisement