Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC Cleaner Question

Options
  • 30-10-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Do people use Registry Cleaner - Fix selected issues to fix registry issues?

I regularly run the Windows and Applications Cleaner modules but have not run the Registry Cleaner. I wasn't aware there were any registry issues until I ran the Scan for Issues in Registry Scanner and there were a number listed.

Just wondering should I run Fix selected issues and does this have any adverse implications on OS or other applications? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No, it's basically malware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It is a load of shít . Don't mind it. It'll to more harm than good, if it does anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Maidhci wrote: »
    Do people use Registry Cleaner - Fix selected issues to fix registry issues?

I've used the registry cleaner in the past and ran into trouble.
    I think running it multiple times over the same registry.

If you do risk it ensure you've a backup of the registry.

It might detect some file associations and links to directories that don't exist.
    But more than likely, those entries just sit there unused.

I have corrupted my registry in the past without a backup so I've avoided this for many years.

I used to use Ccleaner a lot, maybe 5-10 years ago, but not anymore.

Why do you think you need it ?
    In theory, a good uninstaller should clean up after itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Haven't used them since forever
    Just let Windows manage itself - does it well enough (most of the time), same goes for defrag programs
    These are just basically money makers for the writers that do nothing to help the OS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

CCleaner used to be a top unique application until it was bought out by Avast; since then it's been turned into the pushy advertising apps we see everywhere (not to mention the malware that released with it by a breach). It is not malware now (more like adware) but can you trust an application that was breached like this before (and that was attempted again recently).

The Registry Cleaner function is something tonnes of cleanup apps have been pushing for years but Microsoft themselves came out and said it will do more harm than good. Modern computers don't need cleanups like the machines of before but if you are looking for a good one, I'd recommend System Ninja. Link below:

https://singularlabs.com/software/system-ninja/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gotta love the way everyone calls it CC Cleaner. :pac:

Yeah it used to be great but I havent used it in an age myself for the very reasons listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

o1s1n wrote: »
    Gotta love the way everyone calls it CC Cleaner. pacman.gif
    :D
    Then it's CC leaner...
    wait, what? Is this a coincidence?

494130.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

o1s1n wrote: »
    Gotta love the way everyone calls it CC Cleaner. :pac:

Yeah it used to be great but I havent used it in an age myself for the very reasons listed above.

My bad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I just use it as a simple way to quickly clear out a lot of temp files and caches at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I just use it as a simple way to quickly clear out a lot of temp files and caches at the same time.

Or just use Disk Cleanup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

fritzelly wrote: »
    Or just use Disk Cleanup

Or turn on storage sense :)

Advertisement