Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Westminster General Election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

liamtech wrote: »
    By my reckoning they are weakening one another by having this cross border pact - but thats my opinion - and the SDLP are more weakened out of the two

Although they are predicted to win back Foyle and South Belfast by most commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Although they are predicted to win back Foyle and South Belfast by most commentators.

Would be a huge blow to the SDLP not to take Foyle back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Would be a huge blow to the SDLP not to take Foyle back.

SDLP should regain the seat if the same level of voter fraud which occurred in 2017 doesn’t happen again.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    SDLP should regain the seat if the same level of voter fraud which occurred in 2017 doesn’t happen again.

What 'fraud'. Wasn't that just a FB allegation that was investigated and came to nothing?

What 'fraud'. Wasn't that just a FB allegation that was investigated and came to nothing?

Bags of postal ballots found filled in for the Sinn Fein Candidate coupled with an unprecedented 300% rise in postal votes. Oh yes, absolutely, nothing to see here, despite every party bar Sinn Fein saying the level of fraud was unprecedented.

• Advertisement

Bags of postal ballots found filled in for the Sinn Fein Candidate coupled with an unprecedented 300% rise in postal votes. Oh yes, absolutely, nothing to see here, despite every party bar Sinn Fein saying the level of fraud was unprecedented.

Should be easy to post links to this investigation. Where SF sanctioned for this?...I wasn't aware of it.

Should be easy to post links to this investigation. Where SF sanctioned for this?...I wasn't aware of it.

Ah no Francie, you are right. It was only a Facebook allegation of fraud concerning the use of pre filled in postal ballots cast for the Sinn Fein candidate.

Ah no Francie, you are right. It was only a Facebook allegation of fraud concerning the use of pre filled in postal ballots cast for the Sinn Fein candidate.

The reason I asked you for some sort of official investigation finding this to have happened is that nearly every close election I have seen has featured allegations like this from the losing side, it is commonly known as 'sour grapes'.

Anyone that can write their own name could fill in ballot forms btw.

The reason I asked you for some sort of official investigation finding this to have happened is that nearly every close election I have seen has featured allegations like this from the losing side, it is commonly known as 'sour grapes'.

Anyone that can write their own name could fill in ballot forms btw.

Yes you are probably right. Anyone who would question why proxy voting in predominantly Sinn Fein areas in Foyle was 17 times the national average is suffering from a severe case of sour grapes.

Yes you are probably right. Anyone who would question why proxy voting in predominantly Sinn Fein areas in Foyle was 17 times the national average is suffering from a severe case of sour grapes.

Proxy voting isn't fraud. It happens all over.
    And it was investigated I see from a google search and nothing came of it.

• Advertisement

Proxy voting isn't fraud. It happens all over.
    And it was investigated I see from a google search and nothing came of it.

True proxy voting isn’t fraud but fraud in proxy voting is. 17 times the norm in SF areas is probably nothing to do with fraud either. A organization with an, until recently, combined military and electoral strategy would never seek ways to illegally influence elections.

True proxy voting isn’t fraud but fraud in proxy voting is. 17 times the norm in SF areas is probably nothing to do with fraud either. A organization with an, until recently, combined military and electoral strategy would never seek ways to illegally influence elections.

No fraud was found. You are casting the boards.ie version of FB's unproven allegations. Not really acceptable on a politics forum tbh. No doubt any party everywhere (remember FF's Paddy Connolly Paddy Connolly?) will try stuff like this, easy to allege it too.

No fraud was found. You are casting the boards.ie version of FB's unproven allegations. Not really acceptable on a politics forum tbh. No doubt any party everywhere (remember FF's Paddy Connolly Paddy Connolly?) will try stuff like this, easy to allege it too.

Is it unreasonable on a politics forum to suggest that a party which had a dual democratic and armed strategy might not bail at using nefarious means to win an election?

Is it unreasonable on a politics forum to suggest that a party which had a dual democratic and armed strategy might not bail at using nefarious means to win an election?

You made an assertion that there was fraud.
    if the same level of voter fraud which occurred in 2017 doesn’t happen again.
    On investigation this turns out to be a lie. Try and wriggle out of it now as much as you wish.

You made an assertion that there was fraud.

On investigation this turns out to be a lie. Try and wriggle out of it now as much as you wish.

There has been widespread electoral fraud in Northern Ireland politics. The chief perpetrators of which were Sinn Fein.

Nobody convicted so it must not be true. Your logic is so transparent. It must be why the organization was so fond of disappearing its victims. In the warped logic of SF, no body, no crime, no conviction, no murder.

There has been widespread electoral fraud in Northern Ireland politics. The chief perpetrators of which were Sinn Fein.

Nobody convicted so it must not be true. Your logic is so transparent. It must be why the organization was so fond of disappearing its victims. In the warped logic of SF, no body, no crime, no conviction, no murder.

More wriggling.

It is easy to make allegations when you lose a close elections and the public impression of 'fraud' that Safesurfer seems to be suffering from was addressed by the people who drew up the Electoral Fraud Act.
    Despite the fact that electoral fraud is perceived to be a
    major issue there are no statistics to support these widely
    held perceptions and there have been few if any successful
    prosecutions. Official reports published between 1997 and
    2001 identified consistent themes in respect of electoral
    fraud in Northern Ireland. All confirmed that the extent of
    fraud was difficult to quantify and conclusive evidence for
    it was hard to obtain. Consequently, the impact of the Act
    on actual levels of fraud cannot be gauged, as there is
    no readily available benchmark against which to measure.

Seems it is more of a perception than anything real. SF accuses Unionists of it, SDLP accuse SF, Unionists accuse SF...all of them when they lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

NIMAN wrote: »
    Driving through the Bogside the other day I noticed posters on lamp posts saying "vote sinn fein and oppose Tory cuts " .

Not sure how voting for a party which doesn't sit in Westminster, and which hasn't sat in local government for 1000+ days, is going to help fight the Tories.

Catchy soundbite, but no substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

markodaly wrote: »
    Catchy soundbite, but no substance.

Me, or Sinn Fein!

It is easy to make allegations when you lose a close elections and the public impression of 'fraud' that Safesurfer seems to be suffering from was addressed by the people who drew up the Electoral Fraud Act.

Seems it is more of a perception than anything real. SF accuses Unionists of it, SDLP accuse SF, Unionists accuse SF...all of them when they lose.

There was a report recently that in the republic, only something like 18% of rape cases are prosecuted. In England and Wales the figure is 1.7%. By your logic this would suggest that rape is more a perception than anything real.

• Advertisement

There was a report recently that in the republic, only something like 18% of rape cases are prosecuted. In England and Wales the figure is 1.7%. By your logic this would suggest that rape is more a perception than anything real.

In future Safesurfer it would be safer for you not to allege something not even the Electoral Fraud commission can prove.

This is not AH.

In future Safesurfer it would be safer for you not to allege something not even the Electoral Fraud commission can prove.

This is not AH.

I didn’t realise you were a mod Francie. But thanks for the advice and the veiled threat of violence. They haven’t gone away you know!

I didn’t realise you were a mod Francie. But thanks for the advice and the veiled threat of violence. They haven’t gone away you know!

Violence?

More warped perceptions from you there.

Violence?

More warped perceptions from you there.

Safer for me not to allege Sinn Fein fraud.

safer

adjective

protected from or not exposed to danger or risk; not likely to be harmed or lost.

Safer for me not to allege Sinn Fein fraud.

safer

adjective

protected from or not exposed to danger or risk; not likely to be harmed or lost.

What about being 'safe' from the 'danger' of making a fool of yourself making unfounded claims of fraud? Which is what you are furiously trying to deflect from.

What about being 'safe' from the 'danger' of making a fool of yourself making unfounded claims of fraud? Which is what you are furiously trying to deflect from.

Deflect away there Francie or withdraw the threat to my safety if I continue to allege that Sinn Fein engage in voting fraud.

Deflect away there Francie or withdraw the threat to my safety if I continue to allege that Sinn Fein engage in voting fraud.

You didn't 'allege' just as I made no threat of physical violence to an anonymous person on the internet.

You made a claim that something happened which we now know was never proved, I.E. you told a porky and got called on it.
    Safesurfer wrote:
    if the same level of voter fraud which occurred in 2017 doesn’t happen again.

You didn't 'allege' just as I made no threat of physical violence to an anonymous person on the internet.

You made a claim that something happened which we now know was never proved, I.E. you told a porky and got called on it.

You issued a threat. Plain and simple. You can deny reality as you are wont to do or you can withdraw the threat. Why would my safety be compromised for alleging Sinn Fein fraud?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Me, or Sinn Fein!

SF

• Advertisement

Francie, why did you use the word 'safer'?
    A threat is implied somewhat.

Advertisement