Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Westminster General Election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

circadian wrote: »
    Dunno, I'd take my mother's word over claims on a twitter account. She makes a good point, why is someone from Sinn Fein heading to a known Sdlp house and asking if the fella that emigrated, who is still registered, is still away.

Well same sort of question back...would it not be incredibly stupid to be doing such a thing? Could you set yourself up for a sting operation any more beautifully?

Sorry, I just find 'bags stuffed full of pre-filled ballot papers' and SF knocking on doors openly asking what is effectively the competition something like this a bit spurious to say the least.
    I hope your mum told him to mind his own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Chief Electoral Officer seems happy that the checks and balances in Proxy voting are adequate.

If the suggestion is that people are stuffing enough bogus electoral forms into ballot boxes then I fail to see why nobody has been caught doing it in a way big enough to swing an election.

SF make the same claims in close constituencies, I think most of it is sensational sour graping to be honest.

I don’t think it is as blatant as stuffing bogus electoral forms into ballot boxes. However, any proxy or postal system can be gamed,

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don’t think it is as blatant as stuffing bogus electoral forms into ballot boxes. However, any proxy or postal system can be gamed,

I would take the word of the CEO about the integrity of that system over a random person on the internet any day tbh.
    From an assertion that it was at a 'level' high enough to swing an election, we went to doubling down on it to a climb down to it just being a personal opinion based on nothing other than perception and gossip.

The integrity of the system is important imo. Anyone making claims like this be they SF, DUP or random interneters should be required to back them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Does anyone have a link/stream for tonights UTV election debate

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was in the north again today and some of the latest sf posters just say plainly

REJECT WESTMINSTER

or

REJECT BREXIT

don't see how voting for sf will make either of these happen.

• Advertisement

I would take the word of the CEO about the integrity of that system over a random person on the internet any day tbh.
    From an assertion that it was at a 'level' high enough to swing an election, we went to doubling down on it to a climb down to it just being a personal opinion based on nothing other than perception and gossip.

The integrity of the system is important imo. Anyone making claims like this be they SF, DUP or random interneters should be required to back them up.

The word of the CEO?

Let me see, would that be Sean FitzPatrick, Sean Quinn or John Delaney’s word?

The word of the CEO?

Let me see, would that be Sean FitzPatrick, Sean Quinn or John Delaney’s word?

Chief Electoral Officer...already linked to in the thread, had you read it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was in the north again today and some of the latest sf posters just say plainly

REJECT WESTMINSTER

or

REJECT BREXIT

don't see how voting for sf will make either of these happen.

They make the Tory campaign look multi-faceted and comprehensive.

guys im real Sorry to be a annoying, but does anyone have a UTV online stream for tonights party leaders debate?

Its on at 8 o clock and im stranded in the house of someone with virgin media (no satellite dish :( )

searched online but previously some guys here managed a stream for the previous debates -

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A previous CEO, Pat Bradley has said election fraud in Northern Ireland is widespread and has been going on for years. Do you dismiss the word of this CEO?

I don’t get where you are seeing a climb down. One individual party alone brought 20 allegations of voter fraud to the PSNI. Where voters went to cast their ballots to find they had already been cast. This isn’t perception or gossip as you put it. This is voters being defrauded of their franchise and making a formal complaint to the police about it. It would have only taken 85 cases of voter fraud to swing the election.

You have claimed there was no evidence of voter fraud in the election in Foyle despite the evidence of voters having their votes stolen. Rather than dismissing these voters it should be of concern to you if the integrity of the system is as important to you as you claim.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

liamtech wrote: »
    guys im real Sorry to be a annoying, but does anyone have a UTV online stream for tonights party leaders debate?

Its on at 8 o clock and im stranded in the house of someone with virgin media (no satellite dish :( )

searched online but previously some guys here managed a stream for the previous debates -

Thanks in advance

Tried to find one but no luck.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A previous CEO, Pat Bradley has said election fraud in Northern Ireland is widespread and has been going on for years. Do you dismiss the word of this CEO?

I don’t get where you are seeing a climb down. One individual party alone brought 20 allegations of voter fraud to the PSNI. Where voters went to cast their ballots to find they had already been cast. This isn’t perception or gossip as you put it. This is voters being defrauded of their franchise and making a formal complaint to the police about it. It would have only taken 85 cases of voter fraud to swing the election.

You have claimed there was no evidence of voter fraud in the election in Foyle despite the evidence of voters having their votes stolen. Rather than dismissing these voters it should be of concern to you if the integrity of the system is as important to you as you claim.

NO CEO has pointed to a 'level' of fraud sufficient to win an election in Foyle in 2017...which was the claim you made.

NO CEO has pointed to a 'level' of fraud sufficient to win an election in Foyle in 2017...which was the claim you made.

You have stated that there is no evidence of any level of fraud in the Foyle election in 2017. This is untrue and is either a mistake or a lie on your part.

You have stated that there is no evidence of any level of fraud in the Foyle election in 2017. This is untrue and is either a mistake or a lie on your part.

I am aware of the allegations...they happen all the time in close contests. That is all they are.

I can't go claiming that the DUP are corrupt because there are 'allegations'.

Any body see the start of the debate? Why is Arlene not there?

I am aware of the allegations...they happen all the time in close contests. That is all they are.

I can't go claiming that the DUP are corrupt because there are 'allegations'.

If citizens go to a polling station intending to vote and they are unable to do so because their votes have already been cast, that is not an allegation, that is evidence of electoral fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The DUP representative is a light weight.

Any body see the start of the debate? Why is Arlene not there?

watching clips on twitter - seems they decided to roll out little pengally (ELP) instead - i would imagine its for two reasons - Arlene didnt do well at the last one of these group debate (2017) - and also it gets ELP some much needed publicity as she is probably gonna lose her seat - ELP is a little less aggressive than some of the alternatives

im RAGING im missing this - maybe someone will dump it on youtube later

If citizens go to a polling station intending to vote and they are unable to do so because their votes have already been cast, that is not an allegation, that is evidence of electoral fraud.

That's anecdote, because nobody that I can see has officially shown that to have happened.
    People made allegations that went nowhere.

I'm done with this. You made a claim and you have failed miserably to back it up with anything of substance.

That's anecdote, because nobody that I can see has officially shown that to have happened.
    People made allegations that went nowhere.

I'm done with this. You made a claim and you have failed miserably to back it up with anything of substance.

You made a claim that there was no fraud despite voters not being able to vote because their ballots were already cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It might be easier to hear what was being said if Naomi Long stopped shouting over everyone, no need for it because Mark Mallett is giving everyone a chance to get their point across.

watching clips on twitter - seems they decided to roll out little pengally (ELP) instead - i would imagine its for two reasons - Arlene didnt do well at the last one of these group debate (2017) - and also it gets ELP some much needed publicity as she is probably gonna lose her seat - ELP is a little less aggressive than some of the alternatives

im RAGING im missing this - maybe someone will dump it on youtube later

Her and Steve went at it aggressively enough. :)

You aren't missing much tbh. Usual stances. Long is very fortright and loud but both her and Eastwood are unconvincing on Brexit. O'Neill talking up the Dublin angle and EU as an antidote to taking seats in WM.

Damp squib of a debate. If you didn't know better Pengelly won it. She went for the high moral ground and was allowed stay there by the others. Aitkin hasn't the clout to get at her. O'Neill had the look of someone that knew her voters weren't gonna buy the DUP sthick anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Damp squib of a debate. If you didn't know better Pengelly won it. She went for the high moral ground and was allowed stay there by the others. Aitkin hasn't the clout to get at her. O'Neill had the look of someone that knew her voters weren't gonna buy the DUP sthick anyway.

It was disappointing, but I wasn't expecting much.

I don't have much time for MON, find her very hard to listen to. Just glad Arlene wasn't on as well.

Sometimes I wonder what NI would be like if Eastwood and Long were first and deputy first ministers.

doesnt sound great in fairness - ELP obviously won for the unionist side

how did eastwood fair against O Neill?

doesnt sound great in fairness - ELP obviously won for the unionist side

how did eastwood fair against O Neill?

Evens I would say. Eastwood actually looked a bit out of it. He's normally a very good debater. He struggled a bit. MON didn't get ruffled and looked very briefed on not getting into a slangin match. Long was looking across the panel like an angry mum looking for the manager. :) She is a bit hard to listen too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Does anyone have a link/stream for tonights UTV election debate

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/

http://www.irishnews.com/news/generalelection/2019/12/09/news/dup-will-lose-to-sdlp-in-south-belfast-but-beat-sinn-fe-in-in-north-belfast-poll-suggests-1785383/

Opinion poll predicts SDLP to gain two seats, one from Sinn Fein, the other from DUP. That is good news, with both sectarian parties losing seats. Sinn Fein are losing one overall, and the DUP only avoiding losing one by taking Sylvia Harmon's seat.

Still a while to go, and those changes aren't secured, but hopefully more will come to pass. Let us see what happens later in the week.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishnews.com/news/generalelection/2019/12/09/news/dup-will-lose-to-sdlp-in-south-belfast-but-beat-sinn-fe-in-in-north-belfast-poll-suggests-1785383/

Opinion poll predicts SDLP to gain two seats, one from Sinn Fein, the other from DUP. That is good news, with both sectarian parties losing seats. Sinn Fein are losing one overall, and the DUP only avoiding losing one by taking Sylvia Harmon's seat.

Still a while to go, and those changes aren't secured, but hopefully more will come to pass. Let us see what happens later in the week.

Interesting after last night's debate that Sam McBride was saying that anything less than two seats for the SDLP will likely spell the end for Eastwood and the controversial (within the SDLP) alliance with FF.

I think most will be happy initially as long as Remain parties take seats and any bloodletting will wait a while but I would have thought Eastwood would be given longer to try and resurrect the SDLP, and I wasn't aware how much distaste there was for the FF alliance within it.

Advertisement