Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Westminster General Election

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

All NI seats declared: -

DUP - 8
    SF - 7
    SDLP - 2
    Alliance - 1
    UUP - 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Arlene must be toast surely? Some of the worst strategic decision making of modern times. She has arguably been an agent for hastening a United Ireland and we haven't even had tge cash for ash outcome yet. Time for Donaldson to step up and drag them into the 19th Century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

NIMAN wrote: »
    Slaughtered SF.

McCallion has been pretty useless, but shocked by how much her vote dropped.

SF decided on a template for their candidates rather than selecting on merit and now its biting them on the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

liamtech wrote: »
    9 Nationalists and 1 Alliance MP from NI

Utterly amazing - fantastic

Here and in Scotland, a massive massive statement.

It was all about remain for me and the people of NI delivered that concensus among them, stepping outside their traditional choices to think of their futures.
    that is a huge thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Arlene must be toast surely? Some of the worst strategic decision making of modern times. She has arguably been an agent for hastening a United Ireland and we haven't even had tge cash for ash outcome yet. Time for Donaldson to step up and drag them into the 19th Century.

I doubt it - The DUP dont operate on the same rules as other parties - their rules are not based on reality

Corbyn Loses - announces at least an intention to Leave

Swinson Loses - Resigns

Arlene Foster loses - The DUP remain united behind Arlene Foster

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

liamtech wrote: »
    I doubt it - The DUP dont operate on the same rules as other parties - their rules are not based on reality

Corbyn Loses - announces at least an intention to Leave

Swinson Loses - Resigns

Arlene Foster loses - The DUP remain united behind Arlene Foster

Will Nigel Dodds go off quietly into the night? I could see them shifting things around and making him leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Will Nigel Dodds go off quietly into the night? I could see them shifting things around and making him leader.

I kinda expect ELP and Dodds to go for MLA seats in the next assembly election

They have the exposure and ELP was an MLA previously so

But i dont know - i have been awake for 20 hours :o:p

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The DUP reaction to their bad election is particularly enjoyable. It doesn't look like they realise where they went wrong at all. It augurs well for further miscalculation from them in the future again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Colum Eastwood taking Foyle by about 4000 votes

Closer to 16,000 which is incredible considering it's a gained seat.

Bottom line is that Johnson gambled and won. He gambled that throwing the DUP under a bus would not hurt him and the people of Britain have massively paid out on that gamble. A massive statement that Ireland does not matter in the slightest to them.
    There was nothing in Westminster for Ireland when the chips were down and there will definitely be nothing going forward. The SDLP will soon find out that delivering for the people of NI will not happen from Westminster and taking their seats.
    On the plus side, there seems to be a body of mature unionism that is realising that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bottom line is that Johnson gambled and won. He gambled that throwing the DUP under a bus would not hurt him and the people of Britain have massively paid out on that gamble. A massive statement that Ireland does not matter in the slightest to them.
    There was nothing in Westminster for Ireland when the chips were down and there will definitely be nothing going forward. The SDLP will soon find out that delivering for the people of NI will not happen from Westminster and taking their seats.
    On the plus side, there seems to be a body of mature unionism that is realising that too.
    It will still be a welcome change to have a nationalist remain party from NI being able to counter the DUP lies peddled in the commons chamber!

The UK is clearly falling apart now. 1 Labour MP in Scotland and half a dozen Tories.

murphaph wrote: »
    It will still be a welcome change to have a nationalist remain party from NI being able to counter the DUP lies peddled in the commons chamber!

The UK is clearly falling apart now. 1 Labour MP in Scotland and half a dozen Tories.

The 'remain' voice will be largely silent in the Commons now murphaph.

The Tories own Brexit and they will drive it on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The 'remain' voice will be largely silent in the Commons now murphaph.

The Tories own Brexit and they will drive it on now.
    It's still better to have a local party there to be able to counter DUP lies, especially when they purport to represent all of NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    All NI seats declared: -

DUP - 8
    SF - 7
    SDLP - 2
    Alliance - 1
    UUP - 0
    lol! And the dup out on their ear with the Tories.

Oh its the little things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

They better get back to work in Stormont or it will all amount to nothing.

I wonder will SF EVER take their seats?

I mean i would PAY to see Michelle sticking it to the Tory govt!

I don't even LIKE SF i would still PAY to see that!

murphaph wrote: »
    It's still better to have a local party there to be able to counter DUP lies, especially when they purport to represent all of NI.

Go back before May enabled the DUP and you will find backbench nobodies that the people of Britain had to google to find out about.

Seriously, nobody will be listening to 'DUP lies' anymore.

The SDLP have set their stall out for Nationalists, they say they can 'deliver' - let's see what that is. I am not hopeful.

The good thing here is that the DUP now need to rebuild and they cannot do that without being in Stormont.

Will they double down into Never Neverland or will they finally see that they can no longer veto rights demanded and agreed to.

The good thing here is that the DUP now need to rebuild and they cannot do that without being in Stormont.

Will they double down into Never Neverland or will they finally see that they can no longer veto rights demanded and agreed to.
    They SAY they are ready to go into stormond. Now whether SF are or whether we'll all have a melty head over the Irish language act again i don't know.

I don't think i could take that again.

They SAY they are ready to go into stormond. Now whether SF are or whether we'll all have a melty head over the Irish language act again i don't know.

I don't think i could take that again.

Did you believe them when they said they were 'ready'?

• Advertisement

Did you believe them when they said they were 'ready'?
    They have ALL been saying they are ready for like the past 5000 yrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭piplip87

While we can all argue about the abstensionost policy of SF. The fact is when it comes to speaking time in or votes in Parliament the DUP will still have the loudest voice, on Northern Ireland, in London.

What is fascinating to see is Eastwood's vote in Unionist Areas of Derry. He polled quite well, which bodes well for the future, maybe a sign that the electorate in the North is slowly moving away from the Us and them mentality. It could also be a sign that the Unionists voted SDLP knowing that it was the only way to stop SF.

The SDLP gain could also be Brexit related. SF voters voting for SDLP to get voices heard in Parliament. DUP voters voting SDLP over Brexit.

Fascinating times ahead.

piplip87 wrote: »
    While we can all argue about the abstensionost policy of SF. The fact is when it comes to speaking time in or votes in Parliament the DUP will still have the loudest voice, on Northern Ireland, in London.

I would say it will fall on deaf ears in reality though.

They have ALL been saying they are ready for like the past 5000 yrs!

In fairness to SF, they did a deal to get Stormont back, but a DUP that was emboldened welched on that and walked.

They will continue to talk the talk now but will be a much more conciliatory party. They desperately need the platform of Stormont to re-build relevance.

If Dodds remains an influence it won't auger well. So watch that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The DUP need to realise that NI prosperity needs close effective relations with republic and the EU. I don't mean UI as such just a close working relationship and forget the stupid notion that any Irish government is trying to trick them into a United Ireland.
    Apart from Sinn from every other political party in Ireland would be terrified by that prospect.
    Forget their idealogical hatred of all things Irish. Westminster is now an English Parliament, nothing else matters to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Plenty of unionists in Derry do not want a hard Brexit. They'd never vote SF so Eastwood was the logical choice.

joe40 wrote: »
    The DUP need to realise that NI prosperity needs close effective relations with republic and the EU. I don't mean UI as such just a close working relationship and forget the stupid notion that any Irish government is trying to trick them into a United Ireland.
    Apart from Sinn from every other political party in Ireland would be terrified by that prospect.
    Forget their idealogical hatred of all things Irish. Westminster is now an English Parliament, nothing else matters.

They don't care about anything or anyone except lining their own pockets. That is my honest impression of them.

The way they win votes in a lot of their core areas is by pretending the Irish govt is out to kidnap the 6 counties. And it works so they will keep using it.

They don't care about the NI economy.

What is fascinating to see is Eastwood's vote in Unionist Areas of Derry. He polled quite well, which bodes well for the future, maybe a sign that the electorate in the North is slowly moving away from the Us and them mentality. It could also be a sign that the Unionists voted SDLP knowing that it was the only way to stop SF.

The SDLP gain could also be Brexit related. SF voters voting for SDLP to get voices heard in Parliament. DUP voters voting SDLP over Brexit.

Fascinating times ahead.

It's a huge win for the SDLP.
    I said it before, Eastwood and Hanna are a party saving find for them. Hanna's win is on borrowed votes but she is an able representative..

The challenge for them now is delivering something tangible as that is what they sold to the swing voters in nationalist areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

I wouldn't be surprised if Boris sanctioned a border poll over the course of the next parliament. The Tories will not forget the DUP holding them to ransom this past 2 or 3 years.

He will use it as a threat to the Irish government when negotiating brexit also, going by Helen McEntees reaction to the possibility of it on newstalk earlier. Fine Gael are horrified at the thought of it.

He is an English nationalist first and foremost and the union is not his priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fascinating times ahead.

Unionists in Derry have a long history of voting SDLP to keep SF out. It's an extension of them uns and us uns

Advertisement