Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Westminster General Election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

kerosene wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Boris sanctioned a border poll over the course of the next parliament. The Tories will not forget the DUP holding them to ransom this past 2 or 3 years.

He will use it as a threat to the Irish government when negotiating brexit also, going by Helen McEntees reaction to the possibility of it on newstalk earlier. Fine Gael are horrified at the thought of it.

He is an English nationalist first and foremost and the union is not his priority.

It would mean CHAOS for NI. I would be sad to see that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Great election result.

DUP down 5% and two seats, Sinn Fein down nearly 7%, absolutely delighted for the both of them.

2 SDLP and 1 Alliance, the voice of Northern Ireland will be heard again.

Combined nationalist vote down 4%, as the Northern Irish vote for the middle.

Expect DUP and SF to cobble together a Stormont deal as neither will want a drubbing in Assembly elections. They will vote to keep their privileges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Great election result.

DUP down 5% and two seats, Sinn Fein down nearly 7%, absolutely delighted for the both of them.

Expect DUP and SF to cobble together a Stormont deal as neither will want a drubbing in Assembly elections. They will vote to keep their privileges

The 'voice of Northern ireland' has been heard loud and clear for three years blanch.

As last night shows clearly, the only ones listening to it are Dublin and the rest of the EU.

Westminster and Britain has trenchantly put the ear muffs on, they didn't and won't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Robert2014

Sorry newbie here

It looks to me like yesterday was a rejection of the Union in both England and Scotland whatever about the result in Northern Ireland.

Brexit and Northern Ireland has been front and center of British politics for the last 2 years and English voters agreed to back a Brexit plan that if they were paying attention was not welcomed in Northern Ireland. And they don't care.

The election of the SNP is Scotland reminds me of the votes the IPP and Sinn Fein got in Westminster elections 100 years ago. It's clear that Scotland is on a path to leave the Union at some point in the medium term. Where the Union goes after that, who knows?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Sorry newbie here

It looks to me like yesterday was a rejection of the Union in both England and Scotland whatever about the result in Northern Ireland.

Brexit and Northern Ireland has been front and center of British politics for the last 2 years and English voters agreed to back a Brexit plan that if they were paying attention was not welcomed in Northern Ireland. And they don't care.

The election of the SNP is Scotland reminds me of the votes the IPP and Sinn Fein got in Westminster elections 100 years ago. It's clear that Scotland is on a path to leave the Union at some point in the medium term. Where the Union goes after that, who knows?

IIRC when the indiref was happening the EU spin machine was saying if they voted for indendence they couldn't get admitted to the EU.

You can be sure they (EU) will change their tune now.

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    IIRC when the indiref was happening the EU spin machine was saying if they voted for indendence they couldn't get admitted to the EU.

What? The Tory,/No to Independence 'spin machine' you mean.

The Prodi Doctrine states that a state can be let in if it leaves it's union in a legal, democratic way.

If Scotland leaves democratically there is no block to joining the EU. It is different to Catalonia in that respect, Spain maintains that Catalonia leaving would be anti it's constitution and therefore illegal. The EU agrees with this. Spains premier at the time - Rahoy therefore stated they would have no legally sound objections to a Scottish application to join the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭arctictree

So, let me get this straight, NI still has more unionist voters but now has more nationalist MPs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

liamtech wrote: »
    Mainly Free Presbyterian Constituency - Seat of Paisley Snr - was never going to change - it is DUP country

Ian Paisley Jnr is involved in scandals, the likes of which would see him expelled from any other party in the UK

But he was always guaranteed that seat, and hence he remains positive and electable!

He gets votes in Moyle and the Glens too.

It's a weird one because, the Paisley's were pretty decent at the local parish pump regardless of your community. If he didn't get recalled a while back after the Trips abroad scandal then he was never in danger really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Anyone who honestly thought Paisley could lose his seat should be pitted against those who thought Sinn Féin could lose West Belfast in a "Who's more deluded" contest.

Did you believe them when they said they were 'ready'?

TBF they were ready 2 years ago until Sammy and Doddsie scuppered it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

arctictree wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight, NI still has more unionist voters but now has more nationalist MPs?
    Yeah Unionist parties got a combined total of 43% of the votes (down 4% from 2017) and the Nationalist parties got 39% (down 2% from 2017).

However what's very significant is the huge rise in those voting for "other" or "non-aligned" parties such as Alliance. These got a total of 17% of the vote, which shows there is a centre ground starting to filter through away from the Nationalist vs Unionist politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

darem93 wrote: »
    Yeah Unionist parties got a combined total of 43% of the votes (down 4% from 2017) and the Nationalist parties got 39% (down 2% from 2017).

However what's very significant is the huge rise in those voting for "other" or "non-aligned" parties such as Alliance. These got a total of 17% of the vote, which shows there is a centre ground starting to filter through away from the Nationalist vs Unionist politics.

well a vote for Sinn Fein in a Westminster election is a wasted vote

We have 5 years now to test that theory and see what Alliance and SDLP reps deliver.

I won't be holding my breath to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I think a vote fr SF in the north is a splendid thing.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Great election result.

What? That's your read?

Mother of God.

Go tell that to the peopld of Fermanagh or west Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

What? That's your read?

That's the ultimate half glass full as the unionist majority evaporates into history. The clock is ticking and getting louder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well actually, I don't really pay much attention to the westminster parliament but in the dail, the seats seem to be empty most of the time anyway. Also, anything the opposition do say, just seems to be ignored.

Mother of God.

Go tell that to the peopld of Fermanagh or west Belfast.

imagine voting for a small party in the ROI who get 4-5 seats and all those TDs never turning up to the Dail?
    but claiming expenses and a salary

thats basically what SF do in Westminster

I think a vote fr SF in the north is a splendid thing.

explain why? genuinely don't see why they would deserve a vote

• Advertisement

explain why? genuinely don't see why they would deserve a vote

You need to get over who nationalists rewarded for achieving the GFA for them.

Representation does not require attendance at Westminister has been the point SF have been making. The protection of nationalists and the further achievements for them since the GFA ensures SF still have relevance. The SDLP have questioned this stance, which they have every right to do and the electorate have in Foyle, said 'go ahead, see what you can do'.

The onus is now on the SDLP to prove what they say, that more can be achieved by taking a seat in Westminster.

Let's see how they get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

imagine voting for a small party in the ROI who get 4-5 seats and all those TDs never turning up to the Dail?

thats basically what SF do in Westminster
    I am pretty sure SF don't claim a salary in Westminster...they have said it quite a few times at least, below backs that up

https://fullfact.org/news/sinn-fein-salaries/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

gmisk wrote: »
    I am pretty sure SF don't claim a salary in Westminster...they have said it quite a few times at least, below backs that up

I don't think Sinn Fein should take their seats in Westminster, if that is their policy and the basis on which they're elected.
    I would however love to see the reaction if they did. It might be over 20 years since the gfa but a shinner in Westminster would be contentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't think Sinn Fein should take their seats in Westminster, if that is their policy and the basis on which they're elected.
    I would however love to see the reaction if they did. It might be over 20 years since the gfa but a shinner in Westminster would be contentious.
    I agree, people who vote for them know it as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Some members of the larger parties in An Dáil do it all the time. What is the difference. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Great results in the north. North Belfast and North Down were tremendous. SF votes for the stoops helped romp them home in South Belfast. Eastwood played a blinder in Foyle.

Worrying times ahead for the DUP. Fully expect shinner votes to go back to them for the local elections all over the place. Spoke to shinners who voted for UUP and Alliance even where their own candidate was standing (Mainly South Antrim).

Let's hope that SDLP and Alliance can get their voices heard in the British parliament.

Overall for the UK, a disaster. I expect moderate unionists to begin to look towards Dublin as the entity that serves them the best.

Interesting times we live in.

Traditionally, going back a number of elections it's been 11 unionist v 7 nationalist. It's some change in 2 years to have gone to majority nationalist.

gmisk wrote: »

They definitely have offices in Westminster and claim expenses for sure. I didn't know they didn't get salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Would you say the same for people voting SNP ? No influence in Westminster even with 50+ MP'S .
    Others MP'S literally walk out of the chamber when they begin to speak , now imagine the scenes if Sinn Fein were there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1205463637705535488

Poor Jamie seems to ripping himself apart -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

liamtech wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1205463637705535488

Poor Jamie seems to ripping himself apart -

Translated.

Me want Brexit. Me not want consequences. WAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Advertisement