Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Colleague

Options
  • 30-10-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I share a work area with a colleague who is quite productive but seems to have a range of ticks that get worse as they get busier and need to focus.

Unfortunately when they are busy I am too - and I need to concentrate. I'm looking for tips on dealing with the issue that don't involve direct confrontation and embarrassing the individual - if that's possible.

I think the individual is oblivious to their ticks. It's like being around a bird who makes clicking sounds, who hisses like a radiator that hasn't been bled, and who also periodically repeats a few stock phrases like 'goody-goody-gumdrops'.

To compound matters, they're an extremely noisy eater, in an area where nobody else eats at their desks - bar an odd snack. Think of sticky wet mouth noises at periodic intervals.

While I've tried earphones I'm not used to working with them and I find them almost as distracting to the alternative of the noisy colleague. I also look like an asshole wearing them.

One day I also tried making a sound every time they did - but they seemed totally oblivious.

If anyone else has any tips please share - before I lose my mind!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Discreetly, ask your supervisor if you can move desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Maybe your Co worker has tourette syndrome and does not won't to tell you about it?.

Like myself I have a disability and I don't be screaming it from the roof tops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Maybe your Co worker has tourette syndrome and does not won't to tell you about it?.

Like myself I have a disability and I don't be screaming it from the roof tops

I've definitely considered it - but it isn't an everyday thing. The ticks only seem to happen when a deadline is approaching, and might only get bad once a fortnight for a couple of days- so I'm not sure if it's tourettes.

The noisy eating is an everyday, and at regular intervals during the day, type of thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

noise cancelling headphones. Can't stand the sound of people eating/drinking/sniffing myself, lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Just get over yourself and stop being so precious

• Advertisement

Just get over yourself and stop being so precious

I can see where you're coming from to an extent, but with respect you haven't a clue how bad this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Headphones are fine - get good over ear ones. Lots of people use them to help concentrate, including myself. i use an online white noise generator at mynoise.net (no association with the site). I find white noise much better than noise cancelling.

Diziet wrote: »
    Headphones are fine - get good over ear ones. Lots of people use them to help concentrate, including myself. i use an online white noise generator at mynoise.net (no association with the site). I find white noise much better than noise cancelling.

both :) Or just general 'lounge music', no lyrics and it just turns into nicer white noise for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If you don't want to speak directly to him (and politely of course) then speaking to a manager is the best way forward.
    He might know more of the background, I'd recommend offering to move desk though, not that you're advocating discipline for the person or anything.

I think I'm going to try the white noise and lounge music suggestions and see how that goes. Intrigued by both.

I've previously found that I've been too tempted to listen to the music which I'd normally be listening to while driving or in the gym,which isn't really suitable for my work environment!

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think I'm going to try the white noise and lounge music suggestions and see how that goes. Intrigued by both.

I've previously found that I've been too tempted to listen to the music which I'd normally be listening to while driving or in the gym,which isn't really suitable for my work environment!

Spotify has loads of concentration playlists depending what takes your fancy. If I'm cranking out number-work I'll stick on lyric-less electro something-or-other, if I'm ready something a bit less intense. Daft Punk's Tron album is nearly lyricless and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Talk to your manager. It's the safest way to proceed with an issue like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a matter of who to address this problem to. I’m not sure there is an obvious right or wrong way to go about it...

You go directly to the employee and they might take offense. It would have to be worded carefully, tactfully. Could lead to a bit of atmosphere at least temporarily.

If you just go to the manager and over their head and the manager tries to address it it would need a very tactile approach. Possibly one way to deal with it would be the next time you take a day off your manager will need to use your desk for a couple of hours....

When they observe this behavior and identify it as distracting and annoying they can say they are arranging one to one feedback meetings with each employee where they will listen to observations and concerns of every employee as well as giving your own..

When the noise machine has his turn....

“So Dave, do you have any stresses or irritation or any difficulty or concerns about working here ?” The answer is no then ...”ok, something I’d like to mention that I observed working beside you is these twitches and noises you seem to make”.

“Well yes that’s mild touretttes”

“Ok, when was this diagnosed ?”

“about three years ago”

“Ok, in your application you were asked to disclose your full medical history, you haven’t done so clearly and stated NONE on your application form when asked about any medical conditions “

“Ummmmmm”

“Yessss ummmmm ”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use big over-ear headphones and listen to youtube clips of "rain on tent" for hours when I need to shut off the outside world.
    Quite soothing and after a minute or two you don't really pay attention to it anymore.
    Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

biko wrote: »
    I use big over-ear headphones and listen to youtube clips of "rain on tent" for hours when I need to shut off the outside world.
    Quite soothing and after a minute or two you don't really pay attention to it anymore.
    Worth a shot.

Fine in certain situations but in an office where normal communication is to be encouraged I’m not liking the idea of 6 employees sitting there isolating themselves listening to sound effects and some tulip there banging, clicking and talking to himself. That isn’t a very healthy environment for anybody to be working in.

Advertisement