Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying new Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact- released 2 years ago, bad idea?

• 30-10-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭

Really like the size of the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact & the specs look great too.

The only thing holding me back is that the phone was released in Spring 2018 & Sony provide security updates for up to 2 years, so is it a stupid idea to buy a phone that won't get updates for most of its life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If its down to size and its your only option, its a personal choice over anything. Spec wise its ok. Being Sony, its not cheap for the spec either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I did something similar with an xperia something compact version a few years ago. The people at work looked at me funny when I ordered it ("but you can have the new shiny (and humongous) iphone???"). I'd still use it to this day had I not cracked the screen about a year ago. I'd have no issue with security updates but I would beware that eventually some apps may not work with old hardware - I don't auto-update apps so this wasn't a concern.

Edit: I had to google as it was bugging me that I couldn't think of the model, it was a Z3 compact, great phone, good battery and camera in a really good size handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Go for what you want / like. I bought a Google Pixel 2 XL in August (released Oct 2017) so €269 off eBay and I'm delighted. Doesn't matter if there was newer phones out (the 3A, now the 4) as this is what suits me. If you like / want it, can get a great price then go for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-XZ2-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Liquid-Black/dp/B07B53J61L/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Old hardware? It's more tha capable enough.
    XZ2c has SD845, Z3c with SD801. Both are top tier SOC's, they are powerful enough for everyday usage.

If you are after a smaller sized phone like the XZ2c, you should get it, worry less about the software, the hardware has to be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Thanks everybody for your input. will go ahead with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement