Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

risk of redundancy

• 30-10-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I hope this fits the right forum, i was told two weeks ago by current employer that my role is at risk of redundancy and if i did not find a role internally by Jan 31st i would be made redundant. I am less than two years in my current role so not due redundancy of course but my employer have decided a decent ex-gratia payment if i dont find a new role come January 31st.

MY question is
    • Am i legally entitled to negotiate this? (my motto has always been negotiate everything)
    • Am i entitled to received the pension contribution that my employer matched so for example if i contributed E250 every month they put in the same as theyre saying all im entitled to is what i put in not them.
    • Would i be liable to payback any educational reimbursement that was agreed by them before the whole redundancy issue (May 2019) given the exam is in May 2020?
    • Can anyone offer any advice and/or have been in this situation before?
    • Should i just take my money and run as i have been looking to move onto a new industry anyway?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

granty1892 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I hope this fits the right forum, i was told two weeks ago by current employer that my role is at risk of redundancy and if i did not find a role internally by Jan 31st i would be made redundant. I am less than two years in my current role so not due redundancy of course but my employer have decided a decent ex-gratia payment if i dont find a new role come January 31st.

MY question is
    • Am i legally entitled to negotiate this? (my motto has always been negotiate everything)
    • Am i entitled to received the pension contribution that my employer matched so for example if i contributed E250 every month they put in the same as theyre saying all im entitled to is what i put in not them.
    • Would i be liable to payback any educational reimbursement that was agreed by them before the whole redundancy issue (May 2019) given the exam is in May 2020?
    • Should i just take my money and run as i have been looking to move onto a new industry anyway?!

if youve been looking to move anyway, this is a golden ticket..

embrace it and move on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you are entitled to nothing so why push it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re pension, you're entitled to whatever your contract says. In most schemes, with less than 2 years service, all you get back is your contributions.

Of course you can try to negotiate, esp around the educational payback issue, but you may have limited success given that you have no legal entitlement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've been through redundancy and all I can say is speak with your employer, if the wanted you gone they wouldn't give you 3 months notice and will support you in everything you are doing. I wouldn't be "negiotating" anything but I would be looking to leave on good terms, chances are your employer will be willing to leave you everything you have but if you act up they can start taking it back off you.

It's mental that pension contributions aren't guaranteed. Glad I work in public sector.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

granty1892 wrote: »
    Hi All,

MY question is

My opinions would be

• Am i legally entitled to negotiate this? (my motto has always been negotiate everything) - No legally you are entitled what's outlined here
      • Am i entitled to received the pension contribution that my employer matched so for example if i contributed E250 every month they put in the same as theyre saying all im entitled to is what i put in not them. - Depends on the terms of your contract, I'd be surprised if they were to deny you the payments
      • Would i be liable to payback any educational reimbursement that was agreed by them before the whole redundancy issue (May 2019) given the exam is in May 2020? - If everything is paid up I'd say you should be ok, they are breaking the contract not you so I'd imagine you would be ok, I'd be getting onto the exam company to see if everything has been paid for, get confirmation it has been and turn up for the exam in May
      • Can anyone offer any advice and/or have been in this situation before? - It's a daunting terrifying brillaint opportunity. My advice, take whatever is being offered to you don't be too proud to take job seekers, remember it's the role that's being made redundant not you but most importantly be professional on the way out,

Sorry about the formatting I'm on mobile and it's just messing it up, this is the link that's missing from the above https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/redundancy_payments.html

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

Thanks all for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

It's mental that pension contributions aren't guaranteed. Glad I work in public sector.

Depends on the vesting rules of the scheme, some schemes allow employees to retain the employer contributions under 2 years for deferrment or transfer.

vesting can be granted at employer discretion if still under the 2 year serivce mark also

Advertisement