Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'too good to be true?' halfords clothing bargain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Where? I can’t find anywhere that has them available to pick up?

Bah humbug. Finally got a call yesterday telling me they "couldn't find any in the warehouse" (this was in Waterford) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

JMcL wrote: »
    Bah humbug. Finally got a call yesterday telling me they "couldn't find any in the warehouse" (this was in Waterford) :confused:

Same here with the jackets, though there still available online!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

The site allows me to add to cart and go through to click and collect but then seems to be unavailable everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Bambaata wrote: »
    The site allows me to add to cart and go through to click and collect but then seems to be unavailable everywhere!

I spent a good while trying to find anywhere that had any stock any it seems that most items just aren’t available for click and collect.

I managed to reserve 2 of the grey Boardman jerseys in navan(!) and had someone look in my local store and I picked me up 2 jackets and a pair of thermal bib tights (all Boardman) for 18 quid.

I think at this stage the only deals to be found are actually in store!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Meh, it seems like pot-luck as to how things turn out for you.
    I "ordered" click-n-collect a pair of Boardman MTB shorts @ €6, happy days - I got the confirmatory SMS on Sunday then nothing.........silence.
    When I called in to the local store, they had the shorts in stock alright, but not in my size, and all were scanning at just a 20% discount, so €35-ish compared to the €6 online. I dunno......:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Picked mine up yesterday, after getting the call on Monday afternoon. Half the order was there, the guy had to go rooting for the other half, couldn't find one jersey, which I had spotted out on the floor! Seemed a total mess, and he said he had put the order together on Monday, and someone had split it out back! That was Carrickmines.

Anyway, happy out. A top and convertible jacket from Santa for my youngest, 2 tops and the progel shorts for me - €31.50 with the Axa discount.

As of yesterday lunchtime, Carrickmines had very little left discounted - larger sizes* and women specific tops in jackets and jerseys, and (non-bib) shorts and mtb shorts. However, given it seems to be pot luck if they actually keep your order together, if you were in the shopping hellhole anyway, I'd have a look.

*starting off getting back in shape Macy would've been sorted actually, as iirc plenty of XL and XXL stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭cletus

Just picked up my order there now, €174 worth of gear for €20.70

Has to be bargain of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Picked up an Altura Jacket and a Boardman jacket/convertible gilet thing.
    €130 odd quids worth for €24 . . .well done OP, great spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I had ordered something in the Kilkenny store when I first posted this & it was still held away when I collected it today.

Still a few Boardman jerseys and a lot of the Ridge stuff there. Also a few things that were discounted on the site but not marked down in store so might be worth seeing what they scan at (long sleeve Boardman and Altura jerseys)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Picked up one of the Boardman tops with swappable sleeves today. One of the orange sleeves couldn't be found so it was reduced by a further 50%, €4.95 in total with the AXA discount :)

Now if only they hadn't cancelled the shorts on me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Picked up one of the Boardman tops with swappable sleeves today. One of the orange sleeves couldn't be found so it was reduced by a further 50%, €4.95 in total with the AXA discount :)

Now if only they hadn't cancelled the shorts on me...

I picked up mine today in Dundalk. Further 10% with AXA card.
    I hadn't received any phone call, I wasn't optimistic.
    There you go, happy days.
    Hopefully, there'll be no problem on 4th with the bib shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Got a phone call on Tuesday and collected my Altura Airstream Short Sleeve Jersey today in Waterford. Nice jersey and amazing value at €6 down from €54.
    Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I hate you all, could find nothing available in any shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I hate you all, could find nothing available in any shops.

If it's any consolation the altura bib shorts aren't all that great looking the materials a bit shiney for my liking :D but they'll be grand for under the MTB shorts.

CcCAdgKXIAAI_O5.jpg

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If it's any consolation the altura bib shorts aren't all that great looking the materials a bit shiney for my liking :D but they'll be grand for under the MTB shorts.
    They looked a bit short in the leg, but then I'm finding I'm between sizes in most brands tbh

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They looked a bit short in the leg, but then I'm finding I'm between sizes in most brands tbh

Not to bad in the length just not as good as some of the the other bibs I had the material isn't as thick (probably the wrong word) as other shorts and the gripper isn't as well finished but for the price they're grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the gripper
    the garter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

They're a very good €6 short, but they were horrifically over-priced at €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

It'll be a gas spotting everyone out in their new gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Having been told the other day the order was cancelled, I got another call yesterday that it was in for collection (Waterford) so picked up the shorts after work. I've shifted a bit of padding over the summer so sized down from what I usually do (aka went for the size I'd go for in normal clothes). Wore them for the commute this morning and they were quite comfy, but sizing is quite cosy - not so much in the body but they're quite compact in the body length and the grippers were seriously tight to the extent that it sounded like a few stitches went when I pulled them up. Still no complaints for €6 but wouldn't have fancied paying €70+ for them.

So to anybody with an order still outstanding, it's probably worth chasing up the relevant store

• Advertisement

the garter?

Surely that's not what they're called? :eek:

I did notice they were a tad tight over the shoulders also but as mentioned above a few stitches were lost in the battle :D

Plastik wrote: »
    They're a very good €6 short, but they were horrifically over-priced at €70.

Pretty much what I was getting at albeit the long way round :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Surely that's not what they're called? :eek:
    i dunno, main difference is they're meant to hold things down and garters are meant to hold things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

On the off chance anyone in Waterford ordered an XL red Boardman rain jacket and received an M - I have an XL and will swap it. Says M on the receipt but when I took it out of the bag it was XL & can't find it on the site anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭positron

I picked up an ALTURA Progel bibshort and it's a bit too small for me - I need XL.

Long shot but, if anyone have an XL but would rather have an L... lets swap!

positron wrote: »
    I picked up an ALTURA Progel bibshort and it's a bit too small for me - I need XL.

Long shot but, if anyone have an XL but would rather have an L... lets swap!

If you can't get a size L, I'll take the XL off your hands, I picked mine up yesterday and am quite pleased with them. XL perfect for me.

That's mad. Mine are quite long in the leg.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That's mad. Mine are quite long in the leg.
    Actually tried them on a recovery turbo, and the length was fine. Quite impressed to be honest - never worth the rrp, but decent.

Actually tried them on a recovery turbo, and the length was fine. Quite impressed to be honest - never worth the rrp, but decent.

true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭positron

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If you can't get a size L, I'll take the XL off your hands, I picked mine up yesterday and am quite pleased with them. XL perfect for me.

You read my post wrong - I have L, and I am looking for XL :D

Advertisement